las galeras

momma

Jan 11, 2008
just a few questions :
where to land that is closest and easiest to reach las galeras? how long is the ride? want to take a bus.
any small/funky places to stay on the beach? for around $40-60?
can you rent mopeds or scooters or bikes anywhere?
thanks for any info you can provide about las galeras - or las terrenas. going in feb '08 for the first time. usually go to puerto viejo in costa rica and hope that l.g or l.t. has the same feel.
thanks again.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
The DR is not like Costa Rica for buses. In CR you have lots of them at all levels of cost and comfort – but they’re all predictable, frequent and well laid out. In the DR the express buses (Caribe eg) have limited routes which don’t go anywhere near LG. The smaller buses are occasional, but again not to LG. The people’s transport is the gua-gua which could be a small van, a pick-up truck or something similar. Fun and cheap but time-consuming since they go so far and then you need to catch another one. There are also publicos (group taxis?) but they don’t help where you want to go.
"where to land that is closest and easiest to reach las galeras? . . . how long is the ride? want to take a bus . . .”
”Where to land for Las Galeras -- as in by air from another country?” Puerto Plata is about four hours (some will say it’s only three or three and a half but it kills four hours). El Cortecito is forty five minutes more or less (I think – never done it). Those figures are close for taxi. Bus from POP is daily and early in the am only and only as far as Samana (ciudad).
“any small/funky places to stay on the beach? for around $40-60?” Not in LG. But do a search of Las Galeras or scroll the North East Coast for places near to but not-on-the-beach –- or on the beach but not small and funky.
“can you rent mopeds or scooters or bikes anywhere?”
Not mo-peds, I don’t think scooters, but motorbikes in places like Sosua, and (I think) Las Terrenas. Perhaps in LG wher eyou can rent jeeps, cars, four-wheelers.

Take a good backscroll around the NorthEast Coast branch. There’s plenty of good stuff here.

I would have left this to someone local to respond to, but they all seem to be on vacation or perhaps hung over. Doubtless there will be other posts to follow up.

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
The Gri Gri is nice and funky. It isn't on the beach proper, though. It's about a block and a half away in the "downtown" area (ie, the intersection of the two streets). Nice bar, popular with locals, too. As "me again" indicated, there are no small, inexpensive places right on the beach.

Because of the condition of most of the roads in the area, they mostly rent four-wheelers. They're a gas, too, of course. You'll want to rent one to get to the better beaches (the one downtown is okay in a pinch, but you want to go to La Playita and Playa Rincon). Don't take the first price they give you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you fly to SDQ, take a taxi to Caribe Tours bus terminal in Santo Domingo, then the bus to Saman? (leaving at 7:00 8:30 10:00 AM & 1:30 2:30 4:00 PM), then public transport to Las Galeras, you will get there in approx. 6 hours.

If you fly into POP, it's approx the same time and the same cost, but you would have to spend the night in Sosua, to take the bus at 7 AM.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Mi 2 cents

just a few questions :
where to land that is closest and easiest to reach las galeras?
[I]I went in 2004 and in 2005 - my fav was to fly into the capital and take a bus or microbus to Samana city, then a guagau to LG. The trip is very scenic and shows you varied microclimates to contrast to the beach.

I also flew to POP and took a microbus to LG, but found the above drive more scenic.
[/I]

how long is the ride? [I]I would say 4-6 hours, depending on traffic, during the day of course.[/I]
want to take a bus. I have never done this. I did share a microbus with other people. It was $200 one way at that time, prices do change.

any small/funky places to stay on the beach? for around $40-60? I stayed right on the beach at Todo Blanco, owned by a nice Italian lady. Loved it. Rates were more than you quote, and water was salty for showers BUT it was european and nice. Other friends stayed at the big place at the end of the road to LG, with swimming pool and restaurant, right on the beach. They had air conditioning, but I thought it was too much like a Holiday Inn. Me, at Todo Blanco - no one even answered the phone - so no one at work could call down and bother me with some work-related made up drama silliness. It was an ESCAPE!

can you rent mopeds or scooters or bikes anywhere? Too dangerous for me. I did once rent a jeep on the Malecon in Samana, through a local friend. I prefered riding on the back of a motoconcho with no helmet, for a dollar or less. Would never attempt that stunt at home, but something down there causes the most cautious of us to throw reason out the window...

thanks for any info you can provide about las galeras - or las terrenas.
I first visited Samana city, liked it, then LG and wished I had lodged there. I did enjoy LT for the real French bread and Euro cuisine, but did not like the way that the locals lived so far apart from the expats. I found LG to be better integrated and more down to earth.

going in feb '08 for the first time. usually go to puerto viejo in costa rica and hope that l.g or l.t. has the same feel. I have never been to Costa Rica, but my traveling companions had been and while they LOVED LG, they made no comparisons.

thanks again.
Enjoy! If you visit any places I mentioned, please write a trip report and let us know how things are changing, or not. :)

Thanks, Sammy

Last edited: