Going to Santiago for first time this week...

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
I had 2 jetblue free tickets to use that were going to expire, so wife and i decided to use them for our first trip to Santiago this week. Ive searched on here the last 2 hours and theres just too much information! Wish i would have planned better. Ill be staying thursday and friday only, and had a few questions.

1. From the restaurant thread, are any of the suggested ones within walking distance of the hotel platino?

2. Any good merengue/bachata clubs close to aforementioned hotel? Anyone famous playing at a club Friday?

3. Are there any sporting events on Thursday or friday? I searched and searched but couldnt see any.

4. Does anyone know if there is a current website for the Dominican Pro Basketball league? I found one, but it hasnt been updated in 2 years. Someone i went to high school with plays in the league...

5. Anything else you suggest we do in our super short stay? The Mall? The museum?

Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I had 2 jetblue free tickets to use that were going to expire, so wife and i decided to use them for our first trip to Santiago this week. Ive searched on here the last 2 hours and theres just too much information! Wish i would have planned better. Ill be staying thursday and friday only, and had a few questions.

1. From the restaurant thread, are any of the suggested ones within walking distance of the hotel platino?NO

2. Any good merengue/bachata clubs close to aforementioned hotel? Anyone famous playing at a club Friday?NO....do not know right now, maybe laer

3. Are there any sporting events on Thursday or friday? I searched and searched but couldnt see any. Baseball FINAL series

4. Does anyone know if there is a current website for the Dominican Pro Basketball league? I found one, but it hasnt been updated in 2 years. Someone i went to high school with plays in the league...Do not know much about it. Not too much in the papers these days.

5. Anything else you suggest we do in our super short stay? The Mall? The museum? Go to Centro Leon; perhaps change hotel to Aloha Sol; go to monument; walk down Sol Street; visit Folklore Museum on Restauraci?n. Play golf? Go to Francifol, Tribeca, Ahi-Bar, Kukara-Macara those places.Try for tickets to ball game.

Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.

HB

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
2. Any good merengue/bachata clubs close to aforementioned hotel? Anyone famous playing at a club Friday? Try Monte Bar in las Colinas area of Santiago there is always a live band there on the weekends, any cab driver should know where it is.

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
thanks for the information. Are there any restaurants in that thread that are unique (i live in southern california, so mexican, italian, any asian, seafood i have plenty of choice...whereas cuban, argentinan, traditional dominican, etc. are more rare), that if i choose to pay to take a taxi one day from platino, it will be more than worth it? Or perhaps any of them right near the museum that is being suggested i visit?

Monte bar ill give a shot, thanks.

where can i get information on a ball game? i cant find info on if theres a game anywhere, or to get tickets. I dont think my wife would want to go there, are there any good shopping areas or malls near where the ball game would be?

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
ditto on that question. Also, what time does it close? If its walkable, perhaps i can go there with my wife in the tarde, and then around 7 or before, send her back to the hotel in the taxi, then i go to try to get a ticket to the game..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It really isn't that far, but unfortunately hazardous and under no circumstances should be attempted at night. The main reason being that here in the DR, big holes in the sidewalks are the norm hre, especially in the poorere areas, such as around the stadium. One could literally break there neck stepping into one of them.

Not to worry, a "carro publico" are plentiful and will take you from the stadium to the mall for RD, and the best thing is it will be in an experience you won't soon forget!

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
having a great time in my first day.

walked from the hotel to the monumento, then the outside of the lourve museum, then took a taxi to cento leon museum, and went around there. from there took about a 4 mile hike just walking around, until i ended up in the middle of no where, then waited for a taxi to pass by. taxi guy then picked us up, we told him were looking for a certain church that his mother in law happened to go to. He took us there. came back after to pick us up, then dropped us off at the monte bar. On the way he saw his cousin taxi driver on the street, and had him give me his card. Told me to call him because not all the taxi drivers around monte bar are trustworthy.

We were a little early to monte bar so went down a block to an outdoor sandwich place, and had some delicious food there, 2 huge sandwiches, a huge taco, order of fries, and a couple sprites for about 370RD. Went to the monte bar, free entry men AND women tonight. Saw a great act, fidelina pascual. Going to get her cd for sure. And here we are in the middle of nowhere, we dont stick out TOO much since my wife is mexican and i look latin and speak spanish. Then out of no where, in the crowded bar this girl comes up to us and says that she saw us on tv, and proceeds to even relate points of the episode. Couple years ago my wife and i were on an MTV reality tv show....weve only been recognized in the states maybe 4 times in one year, and here we are in this bar, and some girl recognizes us. Surreal moment.

Tomorrow have plans to take the wife to las colinas mall forshopping...hopefully they have some kind of beauty or day spa there for her to take time, then around 6, ill send her with aforementioned taxi driver back to hotel while i go to the game. This is turning out to be one of my best vacations ever, and its only going to last 2 days.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
It really isn't that far, but unfortunately hazardous and under no circumstances should be attempted at night. The main reason being that here in the DR, big holes in the sidewalks are the norm hre, especially in the poorere areas, such as around the stadium. One could literally break there neck stepping into one of them.

Not to worry, a "carro publico" are plentiful and will take you from the stadium to the mall for RD, and the best thing is it will be in an experience you won't soon forget!

Just get a taxi for $100RD...he'll drop you right off.

Lafcadio

Jun 5, 2006
Links to other cultural organizations

I have the Leon link, but is there some way to know of the events across from the monument at the theater or museum and any other cultural spots.
I'm looking for things to do on m-th nights and from past experience I have had trouble finding the hot spots culturally and for clubs also - on those quieter nights.

Thanks in advance!