driving from punta cana airport to santo domingo airport

savu21@hotmail.com

Jan 16, 2008
I have to arrive in Punta Cana airport, rent a car and then drive to Santo Domingo Las Americas airport. Never been in the Dominican Republic before so anyone any tips... Would be very appreciated.

Ozzie from Los Angeles

jp823

Jan 15, 2008
There's a charter flight you can take from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo and that takes 30 minutes.

savu21@hotmail.com

Jan 16, 2008
I guess it sounds easier to take the charter flight than drive. What airline is the one I should look for? Or do I just get there and find the ticket at the airport?

Thanks jp823

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Take the plane. Driving here is not for anyone that has no experience...no even Hong Kong can rival this stuff....

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The Punta Cana road, extending 45 km / 29 miles from Higuey to Punta Cana, is a mess of potholes as of this date. Even the most experienced of drivers of the region dread having to use the road. Public works has made some attempts to repair some areas. It is too little too late. PJT traveled this road this evening experiencing a trip that took him 65 min from Higuey to P.C., when it normally takes 30-40 min. Reason: AMET ( police ) directing traffic and public works doing repairs after 7pm in the dark. The traffic in the opposite direction was tied up for miles. A long ride home for the resort workers this end of day.

Best to let a seasoned driver do the driving from P.C. Traveling from PUJ to SDO, one can take a taxi $US 125 / up to 5 persons, bus $RD 270-300 pp, or air $US 99 pp. Surface transit time would be about 3 hours depending on road and traffic conditions.

Regards,
PJT

Feb 7, 2007
If you can, avoid driving. It really is not for the faint of heart to drive here.
Besides very inconsiderate drivers, virtually no traffic rules,a nd bad road conditions, you also run risk of animals jumping under your wheels (dogs, chicken, cows, horses)
... so.... you have been warned.

It took me spending only 3 weeks back in Europe to start shouting bad words when I returned back to the DR and hit the road.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Just be aware of one thing, if you take the regular flight from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo, you land at the Higuero Airport in the north of Santo Domingo.
It takes about 1 hour by taxi to get to Las Americas Airport from there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ask rubio_higuey about Benjamin, a good driver....he might be able to help you out.

HB

It took my wife about a minute to start shouting "cuidado!!" as we left the airport parking lot....!!!! After ten days of wonderful silence in Florida!! LOL!!!

michaelcooper960

Jan 29, 2008
Driving from Santo Domingo to...

Hi this is my first post. I'll be traveling to DR in late July and staying for two weeks. During that time I'll be renting a car. Can anyone tell me driiving times between Santo Domingo and Puerta Plata, as well as driving times between Santo Domingo and Barahona and Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. Thanks for the help.