Where can I stay?

E

Erica Eriksson

Me and my friend are going to DR in the beginning of september and we would like to visit different places in the DR, my question is where can I find cheap hotels? We?re going to Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata and maybe Samana? Any suggestions? How is the cheapest way of living? I would also like to know about good discos or pubs where we can dance and learn a lot of merenge.

Thank you very much.
Erica

M

Milli

Well if you are looking to keep your costs down for accomdations I cant really help you out...but I can tell you about nightlife and discos. In Sosua, there are 3 discos I can recommend and they are TUCAM, HIGH CARIBBEAN, CASA DE LA SOL. In Puerto Plata in the Playa Dorada Complex there is TOPS, ADROMEA, CRAZY MOON DISCO. These discos you and your companion may visit, others are restricted to the vacationers or visitors to the resort. In the city there is the LABARRICA(not sure correct spelling). You will learn the best and hear the best merengue music here because this bar is a local bar and very few tourists visit it!

Thats all I can help you out with!

S

Sofy's B&B

In Puerto Plata, you can always stay at Sofy's B&B....competitive rates, great breakfasts... home away from home.

P

Phyllis

I highly recommend you fly to Puerto Plata and stay at least one night at Sofy's B&B... from there you can make your plans to travel around.

R

Richard

I believe that one of the best values in Sosua is Hotel Tropix. it is centraly located in el Batey (the tourist area), there are about 10 rooms, honor bar, small pool, beautiful gardens, fridge in each room, a/c or overhead fan, about 7-8 minute walk to the beach, friendly staff. The owner Sylvie Papernik was born in Sosua of refuge parents and speaks English, Spanish and German Sheis very knowlegable about Sosua and the surrounding area. Rates are very reasonable. Her phone: 9809) 571-2291 or email: hoteltropix@codetel.net.do

her web page: <A HREF="http://www.tropixhotel.com">www.tropixhotel.com</A>

as far as where to check out merengue and that type of thing, When you are in Sosua go to the Britannia Pub on the main street. A lot of ex-pats hang out there and they will be pleased to offer their suggestions. it is owned by Barb and Linden Andersen from Calgary and they will give you a warm welcome. If you tell them that Richard from Treetop suggested their bar they will most likely buy you a drink or tell you to get lost. Have fun. it's a great town.