Boy Scout-Scam or not?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm standing on the beach last week in front of one of these new condo buildings in JD (Metro). It's me and nobody else. Nobody else in sight except for building construction up on the road of another new building. Along comes a guy in a Boy Scout of American uniform. He is Dominican and speaks no English. Asks me for a donation.Being a type A personality from NY and way too aggessive I ask him why he would be wasting his time on an empty beach with noone else around and not be in a place like the Capital? No answer other than -"this is where I am."
Now,all his emblems are in English which makes me even more leery. So of course I think it's a scam and I tell the guy to practice his hiking right to BC or SD. (the guy appeared to be in his early 20's)

Scam or no scam??
john

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm told, never seen, a Boy Scout type organization in the DR that is trying to do good. If so, would like to know more about it.

As for seeing someone dressed up in the uniform.... good for something from me. Why not? He/she dressed up... what the heck.

Regards, Ringo

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm told, never seen, a Boy Scout type organization in the DR that is trying to do good. If so, would like to know more about it.

As for seeing someone dressed up in the uniform.... good for something from me. Why not? He/she dressed up... what the heck.

Regards, Ringo
The uniform's emblems wouldn't be in English, if it was legit.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Most likely, someone has brought down used clothing to give to the poor and this uniform was among the "hand-me-downs". What I do not get though, if this was the situation, how the person knew what the uniform was all about to ask for a donation??

I agree with Rocky, the Dominican branch of the Boy Scouts (if it even exists) would not be sporting emblems in English!

Marlie

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Most likely, someone has brought down used clothing to give to the poor and this uniform was among the "hand-me-downs". What I do not get though, if this was the situation, how the person knew what the uniform was all about to ask for a donation??
They watch TV and learn.
One must never underestimate their ingenuity.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are Dominican Boy and Girl Scouts in Santo Domingo, FWIW.

Asociación de Scouts Dominicanos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And they have their own Dominican emblems in Spanish.
1-3.jpg

140px-1999dominicanrepublic.jpg

-DominicanRepublichighestrankEnriqu.jpg

image023.jpg

Scouts.jpg

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not with my money

Next time, do what I do when I think someone is trying to scam me, I give them 10 pesos. :)

Chip--This idea is not good for the health of an old grumpy man such as me. The next thing you know is I will be giving money to every young lady that says "I love you". Can't let that happen. Didn't you hear about the recession in the states?? Need to budget wisely and not be giving sums of money away to "Boy Scouts" in wolf's clothes.
john

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Amazing isn't it? That all those on this board who purport to have been in the DR and knowing so much about it for so long, don't know for sure if there's a DR Boy Scout organization. Nor have they ever seen the large park on the Malec?n in Santo Domingo, the one between Presidente Burgos and the Dept. Justicia, the one that has the house on it that in large letters describes itself as the headquarters of BOY SCOUTS DOMINICANOS.

It's alive, well and does good works, especially in leadership training. And, of course, its emblems are in Spanish.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Amazing isn't it? That all those on this board who purport to have been in the DR and knowing so much about it for so long, don't know for sure if there's a DR Boy Scout organization. Nor have they ever seen the large park on the Malec?n in Santo Domingo, the one between Presidente Burgos and the Dept. Justicia, the one that has the house on it that in large letters describes itself as the headquarters of BOY SCOUTS DOMINICANOS.

It's alive, well and does good works, especially in leadership training. And, of course, its emblems are in Spanish.

Well, for one thing I am no longer in the DR - so I didn't know for sure if there was a Boy Scout organization or not. Secondly, I was single when I lived there, so had no need to know anything about the organization nor ever came across any Boy Scouts while there. Thirdly, I lived on the north coast so frankly, no, I had never noticed the large park or headquarters in Santo Domingo since I only visited SD twice while living there!!

Please do not be so quick to judge people just because they haven't experienced something. NO ONE PERSON replying to this thread said there wasn't a Boy Scout organization, just said they didn't know if there was one or not.

Anyway - that wasn't the main point of this thread anyway. The question was if this Dominican kid wearing an American boy scout uniform was a fraud or not. Since it has been established that there is a Dominican chapter of the Boy Scouts and their emblems are in Spanish - one can only deduce that YES - this was a scam!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlie