Kids and Sports

dtown_4life

Jan 3, 2008
I wanted to bring some basketballs, soccer balls, air pumps etc. for the kids when we are in the Domincan Republic. What are the most popular kids sports in the DR other than baseball? Is equipment readily available as in the US? I am admiting complete ignorance on this...
Plus where are the best places to get a good pick-up game (basketball)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy That Stuff Here!

Save the space in your luggage! Pack used T-Shirts and "Shorts" instead!
You can buy lots of "Balls" at any discount dept. store here! And CHEAP TOO!
I have NEVER seen any kids playing "Soccer" here! It does happen,but not VERY often!
Cris Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
F?tbol is alive an well, but not a major sport, although it could be.
Basketball is a big deal in most towns.
For a pickup game just go to the local sports facility. Depends on where you are, of course.
A few B-balls and pumps wold be much appreciated, that is for sure. Give us a location and maybe we can point you in a proper direction...

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jarabacoa has a soccer league, but yes balls are easy to buy, but good quality basketballs aren't. Most public highschools have basketball nets/courts.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004

Thank you, very informative. Too bad the sport didn't develop, with the relatively large population in the caribbean, not to mention having a larger population than quite a few central American countries, and having quality athletes I would think that the DR would have had good impact in what is a weak federation, Jamaica and Trinidad managed to make it to the World Cup.

dtown_4life

Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the info...I plan to bring some Spalding Never Flat Basketballs and pick up some other equipment when we arrive finding kids to take the balls should be the easy part :laugh:Not sure where we will be all 10 days (Since we are not arriving until the end of May) but I'll re-visit the thread to find a good pick-up game...I warned the guys to expect some good runs..They are pretty cocking but I'm sure the DR will humble them.

dtown_4life

Jan 3, 2008
Wow I didn't realize I started this thread so long ago. Well I am in Santo Domingo for 5 days and Sosua for another 5 days? What is the name of the sporting goods stores and where the kids like to "ball"? Thanks!