La vega Carnival

J

John Evans

what time of day should one try to get to La vega for....for the carnival and is parking a problem..and how much does it hurt being hit by a pigs bladder?

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Doesn't "hurt" as much as it "stings". Ever been hit by a raquetball in the back? That STINGS! Now imagine that raquetball the size of a footbal (american) ... WHAM! Enjoy the Carnaval, keep your butt on the sidewalk or better yet on that raised platform, pay attention to the crowds around you (they let you know when the diablos are coming down the street) and last but most important keep a couple of good looking girls beside you, the diablos go for them all the time and leave you alone, ha,ha,ha!

E.

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
As our first visit to the DR, my fiance and I wouldn't consider the trip this Feb complete unless we experienced carnival in La Vega. Recognizing that we'll have a long day in front of us, our plan was to get transportation (Caribe Tour bus) from Santo Domingo the morning of Carnival and make our way (with backpacks) to La Vega. After spending some time there, we would travel (again, Caribe Tour bus) same day to the Samana Peninsula to spend a few days there. So, here are my questions:
1) is this a realistic day plan (trying to do too much and go too far in one day)
2) are we selecting the right modes of transportation
3) any hesitation (security/mobility due to crowds) in us walking around all day with backpacks?
Thanks!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, I would recommend doing something with your backpacks. Store them someplace( a tip to a restaurant owner for instance,) or leave them in SD. Its like bringing a backpack to Mardi Gras. Just my two cents.

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
Since we're 'passing through' La Vega, we won't have an option of leaving the backpacks elsewhere such as Santo Domingo. Lockers available at the La Vega bus station? A recommended place (i.e. restaurant) in La Vega where we can leave the backpacks with piece of mind?
Thanks!

J

John Evans

id say it was a little adventurous to think about going to samana the same day

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
When looking at the cathedral from the front, across the street to the left is a fenced in patio restaurant, metal gates, probably still has an advetising tarp hanging on it saying something about burgers....nice folks, good service. I dont know, but Id leave the packs in there if anywhere. The owner is stateside. Have fun!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"Parade" (well, they aren't really a parade, more like Free Style groups at random) starts 3-3:30ish, but the crowds begin to gather around 1. The later you go, the more difficult it is to claim your piece of sidewalk. Be aware that last year the Policia Naticional were stopping and searching cars and peeps for guns.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I think if they stay in La Vega after Carnival they should be fine. Definitely get someone (PAY THEM--first a bit ahead and the bulk AFTER you get your stuff back) to watch it. You may find that you are too wiped out to go directly even the next day to Samana but bus works fine. Make sure you have reservations for wherever you are staying the night of Carnival around that area because they can book up for that night or day before and after.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
About the bus to Samana-- when I lived up there, there was only a bus to Santiago and that one not very often -- via Metro tours, not Caribe... don't know how to check that but you would have to get from La Vega to Santiago first...

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
Lt-lv-lt

I recognize that we'd be talking a very long day and very little time actually at the Carnaval, but is it realistic to think that we could go Las Terranes -LaVega - Las Terranes all in the same day? Caribe tours? Hire a driver?
Thanks!

May 12, 2005
All in one day?? I suppose that trip is possible, but it won't leave much time for enjoying carnival in La Vega. If you can, try and stay overnight in a cabana and head back to LT the following day. But if you are set on a 1 day adventure, hire a driver. The bus makes too many stops and will take hours longer.

Alexandra Palace

Oct 15, 2007
Booty beatin'

what time of day should one try to get to La vega for....for the carnival and is parking a problem..and how much does it hurt being hit by a pigs bladder?

It hurts a lot!!! The more unaware you are of your own culo, the harder they smack you, so walk crabwise :p I'm having a hard time sitting today.

I'm wondering - what's up with the random butt beatings anyway? Does anybody know the historical origins of that tradition or where I might find out? My butt wants to know!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....I'm wondering - what's up with the random butt beatings anyway? Does anybody know the historical origins of that tradition or where I might find out? My butt wants to know!

Carnaval Dominicano/ Dominican Republic Carnival

Amongst all the colors, activity and music in abundance one must always be on high alert for the vejigas/ the inflated bladder weapons and the l?tigos/ whips. The vejigas are a balloon type weapon dangling at the end of a strap, toted by these wicked creatures. These balls are traditionally made of either cow or pig bladders and filled with air. They are also sometimes made of rubber these days. These are used to hit the people that happen to get in the way. Always aiming to hit on the lower part of the body but with all the commotion in the street it is a free for all. Originally these balls were used as crowd control to make way for the costumed peoples. It is said that getting hit brings good luck. I think it is more lucky if you can avoid being hit. I suggest staying away from these weapon-bearing creatures because getting hit hurts. Getting wapped in the butt is not pleasant but it is all part of the Carnival experience.