Mountain Road

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
Anybody Use Mountain Road From Santiago To Sosua........the One That Lets U Off Near Montellano....im Going Tomorrow....let Me Know...gracias

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Drove it last week. A few new pot holes, but still the fastest way to Santiago from here. We use it all the time.

Bob K

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Has anyone been on this road recently??? I have been using the long way around Puerto Plata, longer, but was worried that I would get part way and find a wash out or such. Planning to travel tomorrow again. Thanks for any replies.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
was on it about 2 weeks ago.... more "missing" areas and potholes than I remembered from last year but no major problems overall...I usually take the moca road...in MUCH better condition...

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
On the Moca Road to Santiago - can you take the first right after you come down from the last hill and will that take you into Santiago?

Aug 21, 2007
Go left at the bottom of the hill in the town with the yellow and green guard poles. Then, right at the next Y to take you through Licey and on to Santiago.

There is only one spot on the mountain where the road drops off. Be careful, there is little warning.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks, looks like it will be Thursday now, but good to hear..........will give it a go.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go left at the bottom of the hill in the town with the yellow and green guard poles. Then, right at the next Y to take you through Licey and on to Santiago.

There is only one spot on the mountain where the road drops off. Be careful, there is little warning.

I am not sure about where you say to turn, but I can tell you for sure if you go left towards Moca when you see a Texaco station on your left you will come to a spot where you can go left to Moca or right will take you to Santiago and put you right in the middle of town on Duarte. You will pass the International Mall on your left in about a half hour or less.

We may be talking about the same route.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
So if you turn right at the Texaco station instead of left (which is the way we usually go but I am wondering if there is a quicker way) will that take you in to Santiago by way of Tamboril and turn into 27 of Febrero?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So if you turn right at the Texaco station instead of left (which is the way we usually go but I am wondering if there is a quicker way) will that take you in to Santiago by way of Tamboril and turn into 27 of Febrero?

The way I said is the quickest way. The road is good all the way to town. It is actually Juan Duarte Street.

Aug 21, 2007
I am not sure about where you say to turn, but I can tell you for sure if you go left towards Moca when you see a Texaco station on your left you will come to a spot where you can go left to Moca or right will take you to Santiago and put you right in the middle of town on Duarte. You will pass the International Mall on your left in about a half hour or less.

We may be talking about the same route.

Yes, this is the route I am talking about. Just remember, first intersection, make a left. Then, after several miles there are a couple of speed bumps and another Y. At that point, going to the left will take you to Moca, going to the right leads to Santiago. And, yes, eventually you will pass the International Mall on your left.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RETIREE: Whenyou come down the mountain and level out, you reach a "T": Go left.
When you see a Texaco Station: Go Right. That leads to Santiago's main street Juan Pablo Duarte.

IF you were to go right at the "T", you would go to Tamboril, but there is a slightly confusing detour due to a bridge being out, and eventually you would come into Santiago on 27 de Febrero...The other way is a bit quicker.

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Mountain road is still the quickest. We drove it last week and found a few more potholes, lots of work being done on the washouts, and overall about the same shape as it has been in for a long time.

Bob K

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Thanks HB et al for the info on the road to Santiago! I will not try to battle through tamboril!

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
mountain road precautions

Yeah the mountain road is the quickest but just a little warning. take it easy with the speed and pay attention. I encountered a large chunk of road missing near the mountain ledge which could have meant sure death for me and my passengers. there is a huge drop along the road .It is a nice drive though. Also stay away from buying any meat products from the paradas. I had a case of uncontrollable gas for nearly 4 days eating longanisos (sausage) and carne salado.