College Student ...going to Dom. Rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy_4_you

Jun 7, 2003
So I'm not sure if this is far from what possibly other people have MAYBE done before...but thought I would add a little post on here just to POSSIBLY see..cuz hey you never know these days.

This time next year we are required to an internship for college (for 4 months) and we are allowed to go outside of the country so of courseee I think how amazing and great opportunity that would be to see about anywhere in Dominican, probably more the north coast because there is more then say PUnta Cana. I have been to Dominican 10 times, have always wanted to live ther for a bit, so what better opportunity if possible then to do an internship within a resort or somewhere. Has anyone heard of anyone or even their self of doing something like this before? let me know..I'm trying! - thanks!

OH btw - apparently this is an unpaid internship too! but accomodation would be an asset as other countries such as Sandals resorts offers things such like this.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
What is your field of study? If it is hospitality, a resort would be good, or even a smaller local hotel, possibly a tour company, etc. if you'll work for food and lodging(rice and a bed) you will have a better chance at locating something. Cabarete would be a good area to search as it is a younger crowd, and maybe on of the windsurfing or beach resorts has something for you to do in exchange for a room. good luck.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Funny... Most Dominicans in NYC refer to the country as Dominican when speaking english.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Funny... Most Dominicans in NYC refer to the country as Dominican when speaking english.

I'm sure they don't say "I'm going to Dominican". They're most likely saying Dominicana (short for Dominican Republic in Spanish)...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
La Dominicana?

No..
Quite often its im going to "the Dominican"

Wow!
That's very thoughtless of them after all the trouble some of us have been to in correcting anglospeakers who were (we thought) misusing the term.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Dominicans in NYC and other places are generally not your best educated people and they think that they are speaking English correctly, but they really cannot even speak Spanish properly!!! Do not take their speech as correct....
It is ALWAYS two words....

HB

krazy_4_you

Jun 7, 2003
May I remind everyone this thread is here for help in doing a placement within the North Coast this is not about the name of "Dominican Republic"

Thanks Fightfish for an actual reply to this thread... I am in school for Hospitality and Tourism Administration. I would consider other towns then Puerto Plata, I am just more familiar with Puerto Plata but have been to many other towns within the country.

I also was trying to find out how to do Destination Reps within D.R. but i'm not sure also how to arrange this. So either a hotel or destination rep would be great to do. Any further help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I think if you search for tour companies here in the D.R. (no one has a problem with that I hope) you wil turn up companies that may have a need for someone such as yourself. A few folks that I know have gone that route and are enjoying doing the meet and greet at the airport, etc. Second languages are helpful in a position such as this. Also, this site has tons of info in the archives. Use those for your research as well. Good luck.

gypsytan

Oct 19, 2007
I may have missed your major, but I know many college kids who go to a sort of "interniship" volunteer with the Dream Project in Cabarete. If that's what you're looking for, you can contact the Dream Project then.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To the Op, contact Lynn Guitar here in Santiago. Search the threads here for her contact info. She runs the transfer student program.

With regard to the "Dominican" I would say 80% of the hispanics I speak with in Spanish in cEntral Florida say "Santo Domingo" as the name of the DR. IMO, they should return the name to ortiginal - it is just too damn tedious and political. Apparently the baseball teams think this too - when is the last time they lad "La Republica Dominicana" on the jersies?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, when I am in other latin countries, the folks refer to the D.R. as Santo Domingo as well. And in the D.R., many folks refer to the U.S. as Nueva York.

MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Feb 18, 2008
www.myspace.com
Dominicana

The Dominicans in NYC and other places are generally not your best educated people and they think that they are speaking English correctly, but they really cannot even speak Spanish properly!!! Do not take their speech as correct....
It is ALWAYS two words....

HB

My whole family are NYC/NY Dominicans and they are educated and say DOMINICAN REPUBLIC or DR or SANTO DOMINGO not "The Dominican". Where are you from? Because every Dominican I have met from Washington Heights and the other boros know WTF to call their country. But thank you for insulting my entire family....douchebag

A

apostropheman

It's interesting how MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S took a generalization so personally and seems very defensive about it... HB must have hit the bullseye! :D:bunny::bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.