Safety in the DR.....

S

Sonny

I feel the DR is one of the few countries in the world where you could drive down a country road day or night and give a lift to a machete carrying cane cutter or a student and not have to feel that you could be setting yourself up to be a "statistic".Crimes happen in all parts of the world and there are dangers everywhere but I think in general the Dominicans I have met and become friends with are just down to earth good people.I've noticed on this board on several occasions people talking of various crimes but I rarely see anybody write about somebody that did them a good deed or went out of thier way to help them.Anybody have a story out there?

adios

S

Sarah

"... did them a good deed or went out of thier ...

... way to help them. Anybody have a story out there?"

I was looking forward to reading further posts regarding this question. How about some positive words. Just put on your rose colored glasses and write away... ;)

L

Linda

My 8 year old grandaughter and I just returned from spending 16 days in Luperon, D.R.. I too had read of the crime and went feeling apprehensive. I soon found out there was no such need! In this small town the people we delightful, very friendly and hospitable. They struck me as a fun loving, happy lot.
In the bigger cities however there is need for caution. Driving in Santo Domingo one day with the window down a local got my attention and indicated I should roll up my window, repeating 'Tigre, Tigre' which means bad people who might target a tourist. This is probably no differant than any large city.
So don't let fear of crime prevent you from visiting the D.R. The people will win your heart.