Buying Property on the north coast

TheQueen

Jan 31, 2008
I would like to buy some property on the north coast. I have checked some real estate sites online and found some properties that I am interested in. I do have a partner that would be buying the property with me. We are both Canadian not that that matters lol

Anyway, we are wondering what the going rate for gas and water is. What are some of the costs that we need to think of to own a small hotel or bed and breakfast on the north coast?

We think we have covered everything but we aren't sure.

What is the average cost of living for an expat living in the Dominican Republic per month. I know this figure will vary depending on many variables but just an idea would be appreciated!

Also anyone know what some of the private schools cost per month? Are there any english speaking schools on the north coast. My kids are older but would need to go to school for a while unless we continued to homeschool them however I would like them to learn Spanish and to interact with the local kids.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The questions that you ask are too broad to answer.
Water and gas are not expensive, if you pay for water at all.

Any costs should include a generator and the fuel to operate it, inverter, batteries.

Just when you think you have everything covered here is when the big uh-oh! comes along. Over confidence and lack of experience are two big reasons for problems. Like in many posts giving good advice, come on down, live here for a good long while, then decide what to do from there. Seriously.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I would like to buy some property on the north coast. I have checked some real estate sites online and found some properties that I am interested in. I do have a partner that would be buying the property with me. We are both Canadian not that that matters lol

Anyway, we are wondering what the going rate for gas and water is. What are some of the costs that we need to think of to own a small hotel or bed and breakfast on the north coast?

We think we have covered everything but we aren't sure.

What is the average cost of living for an expat living in the Dominican Republic per month. I know this figure will vary depending on many variables but just an idea would be appreciated!

Also anyone know what some of the private schools cost per month? Are there any english speaking schools on the north coast. My kids are older but would need to go to school for a while unless we continued to homeschool them however I would like them to learn Spanish and to interact with the local kids.

Contact curt@dr1.com

He has knowledge and is an experienced Realator on the North Coast, His wife Sandy, happens to make some of the best deserts as well.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Can this be for real?

TQ,
You're almost too amazing to be real! You joined DR1 8 days ago and in 31 posts you've gone from your first trip to DR to buying a hotel with stops along the way for home birthing and teaching english in DR. Oh, and you got to see the 'REAL' DR.

If your thoughts and questions are well thought out, please forgive me... because it appears to me you're asking a lot of questions based on half-baked ideas.
  1. you got back home from a visit to an AI near Cabarete
  2. you saw a river on an Outback Safari trip
  3. you want to kayak the Yasica
  4. you gave advice on motoconcho availability
  5. you are looking for a hotel directly in Pto Plata for your next stay
  6. you asked for a weather forecast for 3 months into the future
  7. you told us you're addicted to Cabarete
  8. you met locals who showed you the 'REAL' DR
  9. you felt safe at all times
  10. you need a list of community events for august
  11. you want to teach english in DR
  12. you suggested home birth as an option in DR
  13. you want to rent a car next trip
  14. you want hotel recommendations for your next trip
  15. you have now changed from wanting to stay in a hotel to a villa
  16. you ask about tickets to ocean world
  17. you are considering buying/running a hotel and want cost of living #'s
What's next? Citizenship & wanting to know the qualifications to run for President? :paranoid:

Last edited:
J

John Evans

we found that furnniture was our biggest extra expense that we didnt bargain for

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
There is an international school in Sosua where my good friend just became a school teacher. He's a great guy and will be a great addition to the school.
As far as everything else, I suggest you come and live here for 6 months and try to learn as much Spanish as possible. This country has some great things going for it as well as some serious challenges.... consequently it is NOT for everyone. I like it though, and for me it was the right move... maybe it could be for you too... ??

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
we found that furnniture was our biggest extra expense that we didnt bargain for
For a house this may be the case (unless you plan the move down to the last penny & investigate before buying) but in running a hotel there are MULTITUDES of 'additional expenditures' one would not even consider in a normal business plan.

Ayuntaminiento 'Handouts/corruption'
As above for police, lawyers & 'Other interested parties'
Old debts the previous owner had (real & assumed by the 'Creditors')
Increased costs because he is a 'Newbie' in town
Increased costs because he becomes an 'annoyed & frustrated' new business owner who doesn't know the ropes.

(The Queen, You can fill in maybe 100 other examples in two years time to help the next would be hotel owner that thinks he has considered everything)

PLEASE The Queen, investigate a LOT more fully DOWN HERE & for yourself because we can only advise - YOU need to EXPERIENCE. If you DON'T heed this advice, within 12 months you will become another statistic in the 'Failed, disgruntled & left the island' book.

SLOW down, plan, replan, & check everything at least 5 times before committing yourself. ~ Grahame.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
TQ,
You're almost too amazing to be real! You joined DR1 8 days ago and in 31 posts you've gone from your first trip to DR to buying a hotel with stops along the way for home birthing and teaching english in DR. Oh, and you got to see the 'REAL' DR.

If your thoughts and questions are well thought out, please forgive me... because it appears to me you're asking a lot of questions based on half-baked ideas.
  1. you got back home from a visit to an AI near Cabarete
  2. you saw a river on an Outback Safari trip
  3. you want to kayak the Yasica
  4. you gave advice on motoconcho availability
  5. you are looking for a hotel directly in Pto Plata for your next stay
  6. you asked for a weather forecast for 3 months into the future
  7. you told us you're addicted to Cabarete
  8. you met locals who showed you the 'REAL' DR
  9. you felt safe at all times
  10. you need a list of community events for august
  11. you want to teach english in DR
  12. you suggested home birth as an option in DR
  13. you want to rent a car next trip
  14. you want hotel recommendations for your next trip
  15. you have now changed from wanting to stay in a hotel to a villa
  16. you ask about tickets to ocean world
  17. you are considering buying/running a hotel and want cost of living #'s
What's next? Citizenship & wanting to know the qualifications to run for President? :paranoid:

How do you really feel. It's nice to hear a voice of reason. I believe the OP has fallen in love with the idea of buying a home and relocating to a Tropical Paradise. But then again who hasn't? If the OP is serious she needs to do her homework. Don't even consider buying anything until you live in the country for 6 months to a year. There is a big difference between an AI and owning a home in the DR.

TheQueen

Jan 31, 2008
We understand that there is a big difference between buying and staying there in an all inclusive.

We are doing our homework. We would never buy something on a whim. This isn't something that will happen tomorrow or even right away. We need to learn more and we need to stay for longer and learn so much more.

Thanks for the info

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
TQ,
Thanks for the tone of your response to our posts.

It can all be done & done successfully, but your thoughts seem to be progressing very quickly.

There is a LOT to learn & you've covered so many topics rapidly that require a lot of discussion. That's what got to me... there's not time to address one of your topics before you're off on another tangent. :glasses:

While you think you've seen the real DR, you don't really have a concept of what it's all about. 17 years of experience with the country & 5 years living here... I still learn something new almost every day (no exaggeration!).

There's a ton of information on DR1 about all the topics you've addressed. Keep researching existing information using the search function above. If you then still need clarification on points I'll be happy to help where I can, as will others.

The Dominican Republic can be the best or worst thing for you. Approached cautiously & intelligently, you'll tend to get the best out of it in the long run.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We understand that there is a big difference between buying and staying there in an all inclusive.

We are doing our homework. We would never buy something on a whim. This isn't something that will happen tomorrow or even right away. We need to learn more and we need to stay for longer and learn so much more.

Thanks for the info

Can I also suggest prudence in posting? It is an unfortunate fact of life that if one appears oh-so-eager yet uninformed that there are the unscrupulous who will take advantage of this. You have given enough info out to be identified when you come down here (to the place you said ;)) to investigate the move. You will find that the north coast is quite small really & word gets out. So, please, for your own sake, protect your own interests. By all means ask your questions but please do so in a considered fashion. This is not meant as a downput nor to squash your enthusiasm but you do not want to appear to be 'ripe for picking'. And the same advice goes for self-presentation when you are actually here...........:cheeky: