Washer/Dryer Purchase

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
We would like to purchase a stackable washer/electric dryer unit for our condo which is in Cabarete. We are thinking that the best options would be a purchase in Puerto Plata or Santiago. We would like to buy it, have it delivered and installed which would require a new 220 line. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase? Any ballpark figure as to what we should expect to pay? Will the dealer also deliver and install or would we need to hire an electrician? Do most places have them in stock or should we expect to wait? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Washer/Dryer

My expierence is that the dealers will deliver, but you'll need to get your own electrician to do the installation of any wiring and a plumber for any water connections.
I don't know anything re current prices of washers, but I have found that prices for dryers are from 16,000 to 21,000 pesos. They can be found in POP at Gonzalez y Gonzalez and at Distribuidora Corripio. In Santiago, they can be found at Price Smart, La Sirrena and Casa Dominicana.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Wow! I?ve never seen a stackable washer/dryer here. Washing machine, yes, but wind and sun have been the only dryer that I?ve witnessed!!
P.S. This type of dryer doesn?t work when its raining outside...:surprised

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Plaza Lama has them in Santiago as well. Personally I would go to Santiago to purchase, prices are much better.

Last time I drooled over a set - 38,000 RD for the two....... They will deliver for free (not Pricemart though) you need to get your own electrician to install the 220.

Importer

Jan 28, 2008
Ferreteria Linares in Cabarete

Ferreteria Linares in Cabarete has some machines, also automatic ones, in their new show room on the right side.
Prices seemed not so bad given it is in Cabarete.
Saw them about 3 month ago.

Importer

Importer

Jan 28, 2008
UUps - Linares: not stackable or 220V

Forgot: you want stackable and 220V, the ones I saw at Linares are probably not stackable and 110V.
Importer

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
We would like to purchase a stackable washer/electric dryer unit for our condo which is in Cabarete. We are thinking that the best options would be a purchase in Puerto Plata or Santiago. We would like to buy it, have it delivered and installed which would require a new 220 line. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase? Any ballpark figure as to what we should expect to pay? Will the dealer also deliver and install or would we need to hire an electrician? Do most places have them in stock or should we expect to wait? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

If after searching you still don't find what you're looking for in either Puerto Plata or Sosua, go on to Santiago. We bought our stackable, full-sized washer and dryer at La Sirena in Santiago about 1-1/2 years ago. Yes, they delivered it to our house (in Puerto Plata) and we did have to have someone come out to connect the whole thing. I DO think it was quite expense though. At the time, we bought a full-sized refrigerator and stove, the washer/dryer and a microwave and a price of just under $3,000 sticks in the back of my brain, but since my husband handled it, I can't quote this price as a certainty.

;)

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I just finished an intensive search for just the same thing. I went to Linares in Cabarete, to Gaspar Hernandez, Santiago and of course Sosua.
The least expensive stacking washer/dryer was at the Pricemart Rd$ 35,000. The same brand "Whirlpool" was RD$47,000 at Bellon, however they deliver and Pricemart charges a fee, plus you need a membership.
Everywhere else, the price was ranging from RD$47,000 to RD$50,000.
There are all kinds of appliances available now. Aside from the voltage, the venting of the dryer may be a problem.
I don't think any of the stores do installation and you will probably have to get your own electrician/ plumber.
I am now looking at a more compact European brand, because those stacked ones are too big for my bathroom.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
washer/dryer

We purchased a washer/dryer stackable set made by GE from Linares in Cabarete... there is a tale on here about the type of service I received.
It got worse after the original sad tale... the washer quit working, and the manager of the store came out here with the installer and it did exactly what I told her it did. She stood in my house and called the company and told me it would be replaced with a brand new machine, the following week... bear in mind our unit was only 3 weeks old and we had electrical trouble with the installer they sent and now this. When the machine arrived here the following Thursday.... a week and two days later... not bad timing for here.
It was dinged and scratched and exactly the same machine they had taken away. After much upset and annoyance I took the machine and was told the installer would arrive the next day. That was over 10 days ago... good thing I have learned a thing or two and had my own electrician come back and install it. So take a lesson from me or not, go anywhere but Linares to buy your appliances. They promise you the moon, lie to your face and don't appreciate our business anyhow. I felt disrespected and discriminated against for being a gringo. Just my opinion and experience with this particular store. I purchased by fridge at Plaza Llama in Santiago and my stove in Puerto Plata and have had no trouble with either, both delivered as scheduled with no extra charges. You will have to run your own 220 line for you washer/dryer.. Best of luck....

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Just an addendum: Our washer/dryer is made by GE and we've never had a day's problems with it. We were treated professionally, it was delivered exactly on time, no scratches (and they had to bring them up a flight of stairs).;)

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
washer/dryer

I do not think it was the GE brand, I believe it was the original installer sent by the store, and the attitude of the store after the sale.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I do not think it was the GE brand, I believe it was the original installer sent by the store, and the attitude of the store after the sale.

Exactamente. That's really sad that the store wouldn't give you better service "after the sale". That's why I wanted to recommend to the original poster to try La Sirena. Their service was great. And you KNOW when you're told in the DR that a delivery is coming at such 'n such a time, that normally means a few hours later. Well, La Sirena had my delivery to me within 20 minutes of the set time.