Does DR need mechanics?

Adasera

Feb 13, 2008
My hubby and I are in love with DR and would love to live and work there. Are there any limitations for working in DR? Do you need visa/permits etc? Is there work for heavy duty mechanics? We are also thinking about opening a heavy duty vehicle service centre.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can become a resident and work all you want.
If you have enough time and money to open a mechanic's biz here and you are truly good and can get the word of mouth out, so that you have enough clients, it can be done, but you will still make way less money than in the modern world.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Please be advised that the fees for mechanics work is much less than that of in the States. In fact, many times the majority of the cost of work will be for the parts, which are typically cost much more than in the States. Also, in the States, a mechanic shop typically charges US60-75 per hour and the mechanic makes a third of that or less but here a typical good mechanic will make US1.50 an hour, based on a 40 hour work week.

Also, expect heavy competition as there is always a shortage of good jobs here.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I don't know the wages, but from what I saw as far as age & condition of the trucks and equipment, you will for sure be needed, if not alone, for the general public's safety, and maybe your own. I've seen a few Mack Trucks over the years, without hoods, others, without doors, and the list goes on. There's plenty of construction and extremely rapid increases in property values. I have a couple of 30 some yr old ,parts backhoes, that would be working if in DR. Not to bust any bubbles, but, in Sosua area, you can get about 30 laborers( haitians ) , for a day, for the same amount of a days rental , here in the states.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some thoughts:
Yes, there is a need for good, licensed heavy duty mechanics. The major importers of John Deere, Cat, Komatsu, Mack..etc etc..can use top of the line mechanics and you could live on what they'd pay you.

That said, you would need to network, feel out the market, get to know suppliers, logistics and so forth.

I'd say about two or three months of rather intense going around to the different entities might well find something interesting.

HB

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Good Mechanics!

We live on the North coast Rio San Juan area and only use a German mechanic who is in Sosua. He charges top dollar but his work is first class and always guaranteed. The first time I had my breaks changed by a Dominican they were out in less than 2 months of normal driving, he told me this was normal, ha. I took my Toyota Tacoma in to Clause and he worked it from the bottom up for 20,000 pesos. Suspension, breaks, shocks, plugs, oil, ac, etc.. It's been over a year now and I haven't had a single problem with it, including breaks. He also fixed my door locks, mirrors, a door hinge and every minor thing that was wrong it.

We were recently discussing the need for a good mechanic in the Rio San Juan area. There is a large population of gringos here that would be happy to give you business. If your interested in any info feel free to email or pm me.

Steve