Re: Whats wrong with Sosua?

R

Richard

you might be a Sosua expert, but as far as picking out putas ansd sankis go you are WRONG WRONG WRONG! Sosua (Batey and Charamicos )is a small town with a small local population. Everyone knows everyone else, what they do, how they get by, who they live with etc. etc. and that includes the prostitutes. as far as the desk clerks go in picking them out, forget the politically correct crap, that's real life in Sosua. youmight also be interested to knowthat the average Dominican living in Sosua also wishes that the prostitutes wold go back to the campo or from wherever else they came.

J

Jim Hinsch

"Sosua (Batey and Charamicos )is a small town with a small local population. Everyone knows everyone else, what they do, how they get by, who they live with etc"

According to <A HREF="http://www.estadistica.gov.do/html/puerto">http://www.estadistica.gov.do/html/puerto</A>%20plata.htm, Sosua alone has 25,000 residents and the area between Puerto Plata and Cabarete has about 500,000. I highly doubt that anybody knows even 5% of the residents, let alone the hotel clerks. Sosua isn't THAT small. I can tell you for sure, everyone does NOT know everyone else.

"you might also be interested to knowthat the average Dominican living in Sosua also wishes that the prostitutes wold go back to the campo or from wherever else they came."

So now you speak for what the "average Dominican" thinks? That's about as credible as "everyone knows everyone."

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

W

William Leslie

According to the Hotel Association figures about a year ago the population of Sosua(and outlying areas) and Cabarete combined was approx. 28,000.
Only a small portion of those, after small children(more than a few), older persons and those who do not "go out on the town" at least to tourist area bars and discos are those who might seen on a frequent basis in the streets and yes many of them are known by the residents (Gringo and Dominican) of those towns.

J

Jim Hinsch

The 1993 governement census reports 28,303 for Sosua. Since Cabarete isn't listed, they may have combined it into Sosua's population. Way too big a number for anybody to know even half the people.

You are right, only a small portion of those go out on the town to the tourist area bars and discos. Many of them are known by the residents. That's a very different statment from "everybody knows everybody else" or "the hotels know 95% of the prostitutes from Puerto Plata to Cabarete".

What you said makes sense, and leaves know way for a hotel clerk to identify who is or who isn't a prostitute except by supposition. I didn't buy that "everybody knows everybody, it's a small town" as a means of identification of prostitutes. I've no doubt though that they know _some_.

R

Richard

One should also keep in mind that Dominican tradition dictates that good Dominican woman do not go out after dark unless they are chaperoned by a male relative (brother, father, uncle etc.) The exception would be women either going or returning from work in which case they will be wearing their photo i.d. That being the case, chances of meeting a young woman other than a puta at a disco or any other bar especially at night is indeed very remote.

J

Jim Hinsch

"Dominican tradition dictates that good Dominican woman do not go out after dark unless they are chaperoned by a male relative (brother, father, uncle etc.)"

That's right, it is just an old chauvenistic, mantra that has been repeated from man to man and has no basis with reality.

Go out to the nicer places in Santo Domingo on a weekend. There are plenty of unchaparoned women and they are far from putas. Lots of rich young ladies that I'm sure wouldn't give the likes of you the time of day!

"That being the case, chances of meeting a young woman other than a puta at a disco or any other bar especially at night is indeed very remote. "

Fortunately, that isn't the case. Today's Dominican woman is as modern as any.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

W

William Leslie

Exacltly Jim. The RICH young women in Santo Domingo...this is not your average women of the DR who is in or from a poor family. It seems we were mostly taking about the popular tourist areas specifically Sosua area but it applies also to Punta Cana, Boca Chica etc.
You may wish that the DR woman is modern as any but it has not happened yet except a little in the rich society portion.

J

Jim Hinsch

The poor women also go out unchaparoned and are not putas. You must have never visited any campos. Even in the campo, you'll find that the local young men and women go out to bars and discos with their friends. The rich women was just an example. It's just like anywhere else.

You generally won't find too many young single non-puta men or women at the tourist bars, but it has nothing to do with tradition or as you put it, "good girls don't go out at night with out a family member chaparone." They just don't like those places. "Nice" locals don't frequent such places for two reasons (they tell me): because the local crowd "siempre busca problema" - they don't like the scene, and because it is expensive. That's all. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with that old fashioned mantra.

Even in Boca Chica (Andres), there are bars like Mundo Centro, where you will rarely see tourists, that on any given Saturday night, is wall-to-wall with couples AND singles, and virtually no putas.

That old "good girls don't go out at night without a chaparone" is complete BS. It may be what her parents prefer and demand. They are afraid, just like any parents, that one day their sweet young single daughter is going to declare she is pregnant. But trust me, they go out anyway, and without a chaparone.

S

Susan

True and still in effect

When visiting Sto. Domingo, I opt to stay in hotels rather than my aunt's house for this very reason. She demands I go out accompanied with my male cousin. As a independent 26 year-old female, I see no reason why I cant go out by myself. I live alone, support myself, and like to think of myself as streetsmart. Therefore, eventhough I stay elsewhere, I do love and respect her and her traditions no matter how old-fashioned they may be. I think that's one of the reasons why the women in my family turned out so decent. Futhermore, I DO NOT agree that "chances of meeting a young woman other than a puta at a disco or any other bar especially at night is indeed very remote". Most girls (non-putas), like my friends and I, are simply out to dance and have a good time. I dont want to jump down your throat for this comment (I know how irritating it is). I just want you to know that there is a difference and hopefully you just phrased it the wrong way. Thanks

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Nice girls do go out without a chaparone

"I DO NOT agree that "chances of meeting a young woman other than a puta at a disco or any other bar especially at night is indeed very remote". Most girls (non-putas), like my friends and I, are simply out to dance and have a good time."

But Susan, Richard LIVED and WORKED in the Dominican Republic! How can you possibly understand if you don't live there 7 days a week?

Sarcasm aside, that's exactly what I indicated. I'm glad to see somebody else has the guts to post what they know is true or counter what they know is not true.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

J

jim

Re: SOME Nice girls do go out without a chaparone

I noticed in the posts of Richard and William Leslie that they distinguished between the rich girls( minority) from educated families and that can afford going out in the Santo Domingo scene and have the modern attitudes and those from the poor, uneducated families which comprises the majority of the girls and from where come the vast majority of single Dominican girls to the tourist areas of Sosua, Cabarete etc of which was the original discussion.
I beleive that in this country Susan would be considered from the rich and well educated side and some day when the whole country has the same opportunites, education, money etc maybe then the single Dominican girls moving around Sosua will be as you say.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: SOME Nice girls do go out without a chaparone

You are perpetuating some false stereotypes. Poor is not synonymous with uneducated and rich is not synonymous with educated. These are two completely different things and don't necessarily correlate.

Second, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of young Dominican men and women that work at the various hotels, restaurants, and Sosua businesses. There are thousands more that work in nearby cities as well. It's the same in Boca Chica. What, you think these people never go out? Right.

Yes, they go out dancing, and no, they don't need or normally invite a family member chaparone. In fact, they often come all the way from Puerto Plata because the bars are better, or because they have friends in Sosua.

Only a few places have cover charges. Even I avoid those places. I don't like paying cover charges. You don't have to be rich to go dancing. If someone doesn't have any money to spare, they typically buy a jugo de china and nurse it all night long unless somebody buys them a drink. You don't have to be rich to go dancing.

They may be poor, but they aren't THAT poor. They have clothes, a place to eat and shower and sleep, and they even go to the beauty salon. You make it sound like the majority are living in complete squalor. For some reason you think these people don't lead reasonably normal lives. They may not have the luxury to eat out at restaurants frequently or rent jet skis or fly off for vacation, etc., but they still go dancing, and they are good at it. When I was 18, I didn't have a pot to piss in. I was dirt poor and worked at a car wash. I still hit the bars on weekends with my buddies, some of whom were poor AND uneducated.

Finally, a HUGE number of the young men and women that work, play, and live in the tourist areas are originally from Santiago, Puerto Plata, and Santo Domingo, and they bring their "modern" attitudes with them. And for those that come from the campo, many have worked in a large city and most have a brother, an uncle, or some other family member that either lives in the city or lives in New York or Miami, etc. so they too are very familiar with "modern" society. You think they don't watch TV and listen to music? Don't kid yourself. These people are not isolated in some time capsule.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM