Trips and tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stimmo

Feb 24, 2008
www.evl.co.uk
Hi all.
I am travelling for the first time to the DR at The Victoria golf and beach resort with my wife in early march.
Some great tips and advice in these forums.
I have a thing about over tipping, just wondered what the average tip was within resorts (bellboys, bar staff, ect).
Also is it better to tip in GBP, USD or peso's?

And finally if anyone recommends a great trip to do please let me know.
Regards
Paul

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would refrain from pounds seeing that the smallest note is 5 pounds (more or less 10 dollars) which, i think, is too much.
depending on how often you tip (daily, once a week, at the end of the trip) we are thinking few dollars to maybe 20. i personally do not go overboard with tipping, i only give sth to kitchen service (chef and kitchen help) and maids with maybe few dollars for a waiter.
as far as currency goes - tip in what is most comfy for you.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
stimmo,
USD and pesos work very well. Your cambio at Victoria should be able to make the exchange for you in whatever currency you want. I have found that the hotel banks have better rates than those in the plaza.

We make it a point to tip frequently/often to all staff that make our stay more enjoyable. Total $$ spent is not an issue since we all have more than they. They need our help. You will find that the staff is always trying to do their best to make your stay something that you will remember. Show them that you appreciate what they are doing for you.

The trips are always fun. We have gone on the Outback Safari. We have taken the catamaran to Sosua to snorkle. We have gone on a day trip with Martin Espinal. All were fun.

As always, Enjoy Your Domincian Exprience :)

SB

stimmo

Feb 24, 2008
www.evl.co.uk
stimmo,
USD and pesos work very well. Your cambio at Victoria should be able to make the exchange for you in whatever currency you want. I have found that the hotel banks have better rates than those in the plaza.

We make it a point to tip frequently/often to all staff that make our stay more enjoyable. Total $$ spent is not an issue since we all have more than they. They need our help. You will find that the staff is always trying to do their best to make your stay something that you will remember. Show them that you appreciate what they are doing for you.

The trips are always fun. We have gone on the Outback Safari. We have taken the catamaran to Sosua to snorkle. We have gone on a day trip with Martin Espinal. All were fun.

As always, Enjoy Your Domincian Exprience :)

SB

My first time ever for a all inclusive ( had my doubts as i prefer to experience the real country i am visiting and the real food/drink and people).
I over tip if i have good service and like you say nearly all places guarantee even better service if you return.
Think i'l give Martin Espinal a try for his trips ( just googled and all seems good review wise).
I plan to leave the missus relaxing by the pool whilst i disappear exploring.
Many thanks for the advice.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Tip early and often. The sooner you tip the sooner the exceptional service begins

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The cool thing about a tip is it most often goes to the person that is providing you the service(waitresses, bellhops, helpers on a tour, etc). Those are the guys that with you making sure you are having a great time. That said, in restaurants, often 10% is included in the bill for service. But in a country where tips are not extravegant, they are received with miles of smiles, and sometimes, and certainly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.