Juan Dolio,Boca Chica,good shop for cigars?

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Hi all, I am excited to have a free day off this trip. We will be going to El Sueno (spelling sorry) for lunch and visiting little shops in Boca Chica after church. Can you tell me if there is a little shop that I can get good Cigars for a good price? Any suggestions on which would be the best Cigars to get. Last trip I bought LaHabanera flavored Cigars at the air port and everybody loved them. I have been told there are better but not what kind? Thanks for any help I can get on this.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Cigar Factory

I read on a Playa Vista blog that a cigar factory opened on Duarte last summer. Should be on their blog of June, July or Aigust 2007. We're leaving in two weeks so hopefully its still there. Not sure of name etc but check the blog.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Laura

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Oh thank you! You have jogged my memory as well I believe that was one of the hotel's excursions last time I went down. I will check it out thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are better off going into the Hotel Jaragua in Santo domingo and buying real, honest Cubans, if you are a cigar aficionado. If not, just buy whatever puffs some smoke...same sh!t, different prices...

Only (real) cigar factory on south coast is in La Romana, FYI...

Hb

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Blog - Found it!

Kimmir
I went back and found the blog I had mentioned. Here it is
Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Dominican Republic is a major producer of cigars... and for that matter a major exporter too with numerous brands having attained an excellent international standing. Being so close to Cuba perhaps that is no surprise because the local climate allows for equally abundant tobacco growth. Directly from Boca Chica we are pleased to be able to bring you cigar fans out there a little inside tip on the subject of Dominican cigars: you can now buy genuinely hand-made quality Dominican cigars in Boca Chica and even watch them being made right here in the center of town.

Basilio Pascual is the man behind this new venture when four months ago he moved his two-year old business from nearby Andres to the main Duarte Street in Boca Chica. He arrived bringing his 12 years of experience in the cigar industry to Boca Chica where he can be found at his extremely well stocked "Fabrica de Tobaco" (Cigar Factory) immediately opposite Banco Popular.

He concentrates exclusively on his self-created "Gran Selecto" brand which comes in five principal sizes: Churchill, Torpedo, Toro, Robusto and Corona. To bolster this and offer a complete range he also produces the smaller "Petit" format and the extra special "Premium". In the two years since its launch Gran Selecto has established itself nationally, in numerous export markets such as Switzerland and France and even as far afield as the Ivory Coast.

The tobacco leaves he uses are treated and classified according to national standards and come from Navarrete in the heart of Dominican tobacco country near Santiago. He claims his creation is a unique fabrication particularly because of the extremely low level of aroma pervasiveness when lit.
The Boca Chica tobacco "factory" is the only place of Gran Selecto production in the country and the entire production process can be observed by merely stepping through the main door. In addition to the work benches dozens of cigar boxes can be seen piled in different corners of the premises ready for direct sale to the public. The ultimate tip is that instead of buying a full box from Basilio you could, of course, try a "Robusto" for size at the Playa Vista bar and see if the refreshing sea breeze and marine view, together with a traditional hand-made cigar really suit your style!

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks - Sales Going Up!!

Thanks JD for the clarification. I think it did say somewhere in the blog about boxes piled in corners (or something of that nature) LOL.

He'll be able to look forward to booming sales the week we're in BC - sure husband will be there daily.

Thanks again!