Fake Cedulas???

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have a question. I am moving in July/August from the US. I received my residency Visas for me and 2 children from the Dominican Embassy in Washington,DC. At the time they did not tell me that the Visas expired in 60 days and that I would need to go to the DR to get the Provosional within that time. I cannot wait to move to do this because I need to enroll my children into a school soon. Anyway, they let my Visas sit on the desk until I had a friend in Santiago call to question about them. He was told that I needed to send a SASE to have them sent to me (something else that I was not told and was not included on the website). Anyway, by the time I got them they were to expire in 4 weeks so I went to DR for the Provisional. I got there to Santo Domingo with copies of everything that it said I needed on the website, and including I had my friend call so that I could make sure that I had everything. Got there and was told that I needed to bring my children with me:angry: Also, I knew that I needed a Sponsor. The employee over the phone before told me that the Sponsor had to be a Dominican that could basically vouch for me and say that they will be responsible for any messes that I make (in so many words). I have several Dominican friends there that said that that would be fine. But when I got home and called again, I was told that the sponsor has to own their own car, house, business, etc. in order to vouch for me. My friends do not have that ability.
Anyway, the girl tells me on the phone that there are people that do that for money, and for $400 US a piece she could get me a sponsor and she can make sure that all of the papers go through without coplications. She gave me her extension there and her cell phone number. For 5 minutes I considered it because this process is time-consuming, pricey, and just plain getting on my nerves. But my friend in Santiago says that if I do that I may end up with fake Cedulas which of course, is not what I want. What do you do when a person sincerely wants to move to the Domincan Republic but all of their friends are poor. Who sponsors them??? And do they really even make fake Cedulas??? I am going back in April with my children for the med examination and the "final paperwork". I just have "feeling" that when I return to the US, there will be something else needed that is an impossibility.
HELP!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have a question. I am moving in July/August from the US. I received my residency Visas for me and 2 children from the Dominican Embassy in Washington,DC. At the time they did not tell me that the Visas expired in 60 days and that I would need to go to the DR to get the Provosional within that time. I cannot wait to move to do this because I need to enroll my children into a school soon. Anyway, they let my Visas sit on the desk until I had a friend in Santiago call to question about them. He was told that I needed to send a SASE to have them sent to me (something else that I was not told and was not included on the website). Anyway, by the time I got them they were to expire in 4 weeks so I went to DR for the Provisional. I got there to Santo Domingo with copies of everything that it said I needed on the website, and including I had my friend call so that I could make sure that I had everything. Got there and was told that I needed to bring my children with me:angry: Also, I knew that I needed a Sponsor. The employee over the phone before told me that the Sponsor had to be a Dominican that could basically vouch for me and say that they will be responsible for any messes that I make (in so many words). I have several Dominican friends there that said that that would be fine. But when I got home and called again, I was told that the sponsor has to own their own car, house, business, etc. in order to vouch for me. My friends do not have that ability.
Anyway, the girl tells me on the phone that there are people that do that for money, and for $400 US a piece she could get me a sponsor and she can make sure that all of the papers go through without coplications. She gave me her extension there and her cell phone number. For 5 minutes I considered it because this process is time-consuming, pricey, and just plain getting on my nerves. But my friend in Santiago says that if I do that I may end up with fake Cedulas which of course, is not what I want. What do you do when a person sincerely wants to move to the Domincan Republic but all of their friends are poor. Who sponsors them??? And do they really even make fake Cedulas??? I am going back in April with my children for the med examination and the "final paperwork". I just have "feeling" that when I return to the US, there will be something else needed that is an impossibility.
HELP!!!

Are you Haitian?
I ask this respectfully, because if you aren't you will not need a VISA to move down here.
You can start your RESIDENCY papers after you already installed yourself with your family HERE.
Although the process can be done by the applicant, you will most likely want to contract a local lawyer to do the whole process and they will most likely supply you with a guarantor (for a small fee). This person can be a legal resident. There are few reputable lawyers, but this forum may prove to be a source of information to help you find a good lawyer.
School: While it ain't my business, for the sake of your kid's future, I hope you are not planing to dump your kids into the local public school "system" here. Sending them to an appropriate private school will not be a problem even if they don't yet have the provisional legal residency. They take money, not papers.

Not legal advise, just my opinions based on what I see here.
... J-D.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for the advice. No I do not plan on "dumping" my children in the public school system there. I have just returned from a trip where my main focus was schools and visited/toured 5 private bilingual schools there in Santiago and thanks to the advice of others here on this site I have received the names of more reputable schools in which to visit. I'm not an idiot. My Dominican friends do not even have their own children in the public school system, for God's sake.
That aside, maybe I will wait until I get there to do the papers, I always thought it was best to start that process now and to have the Cedulas when we arrived but I see that I was mistaken. Thank you so much for the advice.

Now... ANYONE KNOW A REPUTABLE LAWYER IN SANTIAGO???:squareeye

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You don't need residency to put them in private schools. You are right to decide to wait until after you arrive, and get the process done legally.

kimberlycreighton

Mar 4, 2008
how do you get a provisional residency in dominica republic prior to visiting the country. my husband is dominican and he has not explained this to me. kim

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
how do you get a provisional residency in dominica republic prior to visiting the country. my husband is dominican and he has not explained this to me. kim

You don't. You apply when you're here in DR. Did you read the posts above yours?

In Santiago, SKing, Noemy Marrero of Garcia Marrero. She has done residency for people like drtampa, you could PM him for his opinions.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thanks for the advice. No I do not plan on "dumping" my children in the public school system there. I have just returned from a trip where my main focus was schools and visited/toured 5 private bilingual schools there in Santiago and thanks to the advice of others here on this site I have received the names of more reputable schools in which to visit. I'm not an idiot. My Dominican friends do not even have their own children in the public school system, for God's sake.
That aside, maybe I will wait until I get there to do the papers, I always thought it was best to start that process now and to have the Cedulas when we arrived but I see that I was mistaken. Thank you so much for the advice.

Now... ANYONE KNOW A REPUTABLE LAWYER IN SANTIAGO???:squareeye

Caesar Nin. Top rated guy... Or ask Fabio Guzman for a professional courtesy recommendation in Santiago...

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
HELP!!!

SKing, I have sent you a PM. Please read it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OH SKing!!!!!

STOP trying to do things like you do them inthe states!!! It does not work like that here.

Get here, tourist card!!
Get the kids settled.
Then start the slow process of your residency! Stop worrying bout things that do not need to be worried about!!

Nothing is more frustrating than dealing with Dominican bureaucracy overseas. They are 100% political appointees and know less than most of us here on DR1....no sh!t !!!!!

So get here, relax, do your thing, find a school, get a place to stay where you are comfortable, then go about seeing to your residency problems. Nobody will bother you, believe me...

HB

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Yes, Hillbilly is telling you like it is. It's not as complicated as you're making it by trying to do everything before you even get here. Relax, breathe, and read my PM.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks everybody... forgive me for being a frazzled mess.

God Bless DR1 (...oh yeah, and the USA);)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
A good lawyer will take care of a sponsor for you and it shouldn't cost you anywhere near $400! That's outrageous!

If I remember rightly, my lawyer charged me 1000 pesos to handle the sponsor part when I applied for residency.

I wish you and your family all the best with your upcoming move to the DR

Daydream

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
So many ways and so much NOT DONE.

OK. Get yourself a good, honest person that does this. In the D.R.

Call Jordi. Immigration Atty. 809-350-0098. Speaks English. About US2K per person for all the papers, temp and will continue, at that price to get your perm. You need be in S.D to get this done BUT knowing what you need and having him do the pre work is great. He will tell you what you need to get started and when you NEED to be in S.D.

It gets done if you do your part.

Regards, Ringo

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I thought that also, but I do plan on calling each recommendation and asking a few questions before I make a decision. I am just glad that I can wait a little longer...that makes this whole thing a little easier.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
SORRY...SORRY...SORRY. I gave you wrong information. I plead the "I'm only the husband" excuse. I checked with my wife (in Boston now), she handles most of the money stuff.

TOTAL for the both of us was US$2,300.

Sitting in the corner, Ringo

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
While you were sitting in the corner, did you put the hat on? (smile)
Just kidding; you're excused. :cheeky: