Orilla Del Mar or Ocean Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
Is there anyone out there that can compare these two condo complexes? Which one is nicer? I am coming down for an extended stay in Cabarete this summer( six months). I need some advice on these two complexes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The two complexes are completely different... Ocean Dream is newer, more "upscale", on a much nicer stretch of beach and closer to town. Most of the units at Orillas del Mar have a better ocean view though. When comparing price, make sure the rent at ODM includes a/c and electric.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
go to ocean dream....in cabarete and a lot more secure and the beach is a lot calmer..... have fun

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Is there anyone out there that can compare these two condo complexes? Which one is nicer? I am coming down for an extended stay in Cabarete this summer( six months). I need some advice on these two complexes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
These two complexes are polar opposites. Definately go to OD. Although I would imagine there is a considerable price difference.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Orilla del Mar

A couple years ago, we had some good experiences -- people, staff, pool, and beach! And some bad experiences -- a continuous breakdown of TV and internet services, and a late night shoot out with the guards and ladrones. How is it going now? I assume the negatives are corrected? Si or No? We are interested in renting again in the fall.

beachrunner

Feb 6, 2009
Orilla del Mar

I just spent a week at Orilla del Mar. There has been new management since February. The security is top notch. There are newly installed guard gates and a guard shack. The pool bathrooms were brand new. The old growth foliage throughout the courtyard is spectacular. The internet was always there when I needed it and was of a satisfactory speed, although could be faster. Raul, the point man at reception, was always willing and eager to help with any request. There is a new parking lot which doubles the parking capacity. The cable was touch and go a year ago but the distribution wiring and connectors have been recently replaced and reception was constant and clear.....assuming the cable company's signal was being transmitted (not always dependable).

In summary, there are newer complexes mentioned that have larger and more luxurious condos. Orilla del Mar offers many clean, updated and some very luxurious condos at half the rental rates of others mentioned above. If you want a great quiet location for a budget price, Orilla del Mar is worth a look. There are some great permanent residents that I know there also.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Sorry Suzannel, but I would not recommend anyone to walk that stretch of road either at night or by day - there's no footpath and with the driving on that stretch of road, you are taking a risk for sure - once again yesterday they are re-surfacing part of the road, making it even more hazardous. The beach is probably great to walk by day (if the tide is low) but at night? I don't think so.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
in full agreement, swellsurf.
walk it during the day if you like... but not at night.
and at 1km each way... a stroll, sure. but further than i'd want to walk to town for groceries, a meal, or whatever.

beachrunner

Feb 6, 2009
Walk or Run to Town From Orilla del Mar

I regularly jog and walk from Orilla del Mar to Cabarete East (great breakfast and restaurant in general!) and into town. Although Cabarete East is a beautiful new development, it's cold modern look and lack of any appreciable vegetation can not compare to the warm old world feel and lush greenery that Orilla del Mar offers. I suppose it depends on whether you are the type that likes living in a brand new housing development that has everything brand new but lacks what only age and maturity can bestow or in an established vintage well run community that has long time permanent residents, drop dead gorgeous landscaping, fantastic ocean views and one of the best and widest beaches the north coast has to offer.

A liesurely jog takes 20 minutes from Orilla del Mar. A relaxing walk takes 40 minutes. It has to be one of the most beautiful stretches of uninterupted beach I have ever seen anyhere in the world. Over the last 6 years, I have never had an incident causing concern for my personal safety while on the beach.

cameroncaberete

Oct 14, 2010
Orilla Del Mar is an excellent complex. Raul is an excellent site manager, and is always accomodating. Be aware that when renting to get everything in writing and not to accept a rental unless terms and conditions are agreed upon. Quite often, there are too many verbal promises made and on the day when it counts, the agent or owner can let you down. The units vary in condition. you will find some that have been upgraded and others which are close to the original state. The law in the DR do favor the tenant, but be aware of the many people calling themselves agents. Rental practices and promises seem to be far different from what a vistor would expect. Most rental agents from real estate agents, seemed to be the worse. Not too much backbone when it comes down to problems. They are quick to judge and become defensive and do not act for anyone but themselves. The are much worse than the local Police. The profess to know landlord tenant law and policy, and act poorly on behalf of the owners and tenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.