shopping, sightseeing

D

dorothy

When are shops open? Is anything, including museums open on Sundays? Can you recommend a good shop for amber jewelry? What's a good guidebook for DR?

S

Sarah

Are you speaking strictly of Santo Domingo? In Barahona, one caution I can give is that many shops take a siesta from noon to 2pm and close up during this time. I'm not sure is this is typical country-wide. DR1 offers a good guide book right on this site. I think it's about $20US. I purchased a copy. It's worth it. ~Sarah

T

Tom F.

If you are interested in visiting museums, you must go to the "zona colonial" and the "plaza cultural" in Santo Domingo. Visit Candido Bido's art gallery in Gaszue (spelling ?)also. You could do it all in one day, but two would be better. Tom F.

M

Milli

Re: shopping,

As for shopping in the northcoast. If you go right into the city you can visit the Puerto Plata Market to get your souveniors. If staying in the Playa Dorada Complex there is the shopping plaza and there is the "orange market" located on the beach. Right near the Jack Tar Village beach front. As for a good jewellery store and very pricy...HARRISONS.

G

Gisa

Re: shopping,

What are actually the typical souvenirs in D.R.?
Have there got a lot of woodencraft?
Gisa

S

Sarah

Re: shopping

Painted ceramic doll w/out faces, wooden mortar w/pestle (I think that's what they're called in English), coffee, cigars, rum, very colorful paintings, larimar jewelry...

P

Phyllis

Re: shopping

Amber and Mahogany originate from the DR and is just beautiful! Like Sarah mentioned, the wooden crafts/masks/figures are very well done; I've purchased a alot of them!

S

Sarah

But from an ecological/legal standpoint...

I believe that products made from Mahogany are now illegal? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

L

Lyse

Re: But from an ecological/legal standpoint...

In what country do you think it's illegal??

P

Phyllis

Never heard of this..

Hi Sarah, WOW - products made from Mahogany are now illegal; I haven't heard this before. Can someone advise?? I surely hope not as the local crafts made from this wood are just beautiful!

Z

Zippo Popo

Re: Never heard of this..

export of raw mahogany has been banned for over 20 years
thought harvesting of mahogany was too
never heard of products

A

arcoiris

Some of these things, including lamar and amber, are regulated by the government, but there is also a black market of the stuff by foreigners who bribe locals to get it and then sell it.

G

Gisa

Re: wooden craft

Hi Phyllis! You mention wooden craft like masks and figures.Could you describe how there look like .Do there have a african touch? And how much would I have to pay for a wooden figure like 30 cm high ?
Thanks,
Gisa

P

Phyllis

Re: wooden craft

Yes, some of these crafts have an African touch. Some have beautiful bright colours painted on the mask as well. A wooden figure 30 cm high can cost anywhere from $10 - $100 CDN, depends on the quality of wood and amount of detail.

S

Sarah

I thought I knew what I was talking about...

Deforestation is what the concern is regarding. And unfortunately it does not seem that the laws are well enforced.

S

Sarah

That would be the Dominican Republic.

L

Lyse

How strange because there's a lot of mahogany furniture made and sold in the D.R.

S

Sarah

I agree that there is quite alot available. However, it is not being harvested, made or sold legally.