Re: Land and Tainos

T

tgf

Re: Land and Tainos

I posted this earlier but never got a response. Tainos, what Tainos? You are confusing the issue of terranos comunes from the past, which were used by colonists and later by Dominicans, with now extinct indigenous Arawakan speakers. The fact that people squat of lands does not make them Tainos. All people buying land should have a title search done, since some lands have multiple owners and liens on them. PERIOD. Arcoiris, show me some proof that Tainos still are extant in the Dominican Republic.

Below was the statement concerning your prior comment to Hillbilly on Tainos.

That's a pretty lame argument.

" The fact remains that there are Tainos left, but I am not ready to argue that on this site right now. I am doing my own research and writing on this topic."

What "research" are you capable of that such eminent scholars such as Frank Moya Pons, Bernando Vegas, and Kathleen Deagan haven't already done. They've scoured the primary documents, done the archaeology, examined the statistics, and come to the conclusion that genetic traces of the Tainos may exist in the modern Dominican population, but biologically this genetic trace is statistically insignificant.Sure, there are quite a few Taino cultural legacies as in agricultural practices (conucos), artisanal fishing techniques, and certainly linguistic examples (huracan, lechosa, etc.). But there are no Tainos left, orindividuals with 50%, 25%, 12.5%, or 6.25% genetic heritage. Please go to the census documents of 1610, 18th century Santo Domingo, and 19th century Santo Domingo. They might (should) be available at one of the Yale libraries. Do the math!!

Please provide some facts or a reasonable argument. What you
(and I for that matter) would like to be true, and what is true, are two completely different issues.