A teaching job in Santo Domingo

schadlers

Mar 13, 2008
Hello! I am an American, in the USA right now, but I am considering moving to Santo Domingo this summer. I am a Spanish teacher right now, but I would like to teach my native language (English) in Santo Domingo. I have a minor in English and experience teaching ESL.
I have been to the Puerto Plata area but I have never been to Santo Domingo before. I would like to go to Santo Domingo in early June to check the area out and have a few interviews, but I am wondering if schools would wait that long to hire teachers.
I am also wondering if anyone could give me advise about finding teaching jobs.
Thanks!
Stephanie

schadlers

Mar 13, 2008
Here is my resume

CONTACT INFORMATION
Name: Stephanie Marie Schadler
Email : estefaniaschadler@yahoo.com

PERSONAL INFORMATION
Place of Birth: Cincinnati, Ohio
Citizenship: United States of America
Martial Status: Single
Sex: Female
Native Language: English

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Notre Dame Academy. Park Hills, KY
Spanish Teacher August 2006- Present
 Teaching primary levels of Spanish to students 13-17 years of age
 Help develop goals and re-evaluate goals for the foreign language department
 Prepared students to participate in a local foreign language festival

Commonwealth of Kentucky- Governor?s Office, Ft. Mitchell, KY
Local Representative Intern January 2006- May 2006
 Translated conversations and literature from Spanish into English
 Arranged business meetings in Spanish
 Investigated and attended community functions-emphasis on the Hispanic community
 Assisted in coordinating events for the Governor
 Maintained confidentiality

Chiropractic Healthcare of N. KY, Crestview Hills, KY
Receptionist March 2002- May 2006
 Interacted with patients of all different race, ethnicity, social class, sexual orientation, and ages
 Trained new employees in the filing process, patient care, basic accounting, and patient scheduling
 Scheduled appointments for patients over the phone and in person

LANGUAGES
 English- Fluent
 Spanish- Conversational/ Fluent

EDUCATION

Northern Kentucky University- Highland Heights, KY
B.A. Major: Spanish (Credit hours:36) Minor: English (Credit hours:24)
Graduation: May, 2006
KIIS study abroad program: Summer 2005, Segovia, Spain.

Xavier University- Cincinnati, OH Fall 2006
Advanced Psychology in the Classroom, Educational Administration (Credit hours:6)

Northern Kentucky University- Highland Heights, KY
Intensive Summer Institute for World Language Teachers. Summer 2007-Present
Kentucky State Certification Program
(Credit hours: 12)

RELEVANT COURSEWORK FOR TESL
 Traditional English Grammar
 Methods for Teaching a Foreign Language*
 Teaching for Individual Differences*
 Human Growth and Development*
 Advanced Psychology in the Classroom*
* Graduate level classes

PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
Kentucky Teaching Certificate- In progress
Microsoft Office expertise (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE

Unidos en Cristo Iglesia. Covington, KY
English as a Second Language Instructor September 2006-April 2007
 Taught basic and advanced conversational English to Hispanic Immigrants

Baptist Student Union/International Student Ministry- Northern Kentucky University Campus
 Formed relationships with International Students of all ethnicity.
 Participated and prepared weekly meetings and activities for the International Students

Iglesia Bautista Shalom- Guatemala City, Guatemala
 Translated for a Medical Missions team and a Construction team
 Led a group of Guatemalan children for an after-school program

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Don't worry

You won't have any problem finding work. My only advice would be to avoid teaching ESL at any of the language institutes. They pay peanuts and you could make a lot more freelancing. I'd recommend teaching something language arts-related in one of the many private schools.

In addition, remember that it's tough to get a gig when you're not here yet. These schools are contacted by foreigners all the time who want to "pack it all up and move to the Caribbean". Most are just shopping for information. Once you're here you'll have no problem.

RHM

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Okay thanks! Would it be too late if I went in early June? Or would I need to go earlier?

The sooner the better (most schools like to plan in advance), but you'll probably still be OK. Just be willing to pound the pavement once you get here. This is a place where you have to make your own opportunities.

RHM

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey

Hello! I am an American, in the USA right now, but I am considering moving to Santo Domingo this summer. I am a Spanish teacher right now, but I would like to teach my native language (English) in Santo Domingo. I have a minor in English and experience teaching ESL.
I have been to the Puerto Plata area but I have never been to Santo Domingo before. I would like to go to Santo Domingo in early June to check the area out and have a few interviews, but I am wondering if schools would wait that long to hire teachers.
I am also wondering if anyone could give me advise about finding teaching jobs.
Thanks!
Stephanie

I will be going to DR in August/September, I know some people who study and work in APEC in Santo Domingo, they are always taking English courses there. I can try to find some info and see if they are interested in hiring.

J

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's very easy to get an English teaching job at APEC, but the pay is very low. It would only work as a secondary job.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
oh!

It's very easy to get an English teaching job at APEC, but the pay is very low. It would only work as a secondary job.

I have no idea...couldnt hurt to try....but I hear you, if it pays very low then maybe not worth it....
can we suggest just working as a tour guide and or maybe a travel agency? wouldnt the big shot hotels be interested in hiring english speaking people? let alone american? just a thought... :ninja: