Which hotel do you recommend - Alegria or Cita Del Sol ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy1

Mar 21, 2008
I want to stay in Cabarete - close to the beach, bars, restaurants, etc .. i'm wondering if the Alegria is a little too far off the main area as i'm a single traveler and have heard the road can be a little dangerous to walk on especially at night, etc. thanks,

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
I am an owner at Cita del Sol and I have visited La Alegria several times under its prior management. Both places are very good choices. Cita del Sol is more of an apartment building with larger units and kitchens. La Alegria is on the beach side whereas Cita del Sol is across the street from the beach. In terms of security, Cita del Sol has the edge since its a short walk from the center of town on the well lighted main street. La Alegria is also close to the center but returning you either walk down the dark beach and up a dark dirt road or you can travel up the main street and then down a dark road.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Very fair assessment of the 2 locations, Island777.
Both are nice & neither too far from center.

Cita del Sol is good value for the money. I stayed there a couple of months last year.

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
La Alegria is also close to the center but returning you either walk down the dark beach and up a dark dirt road or you can travel up the main street and then down a dark road.

It's not as scary as you portrey though. The hotel next to Alegria is well lit (I forget the name of it) which offers some light as you walk to Alegria and they have lights around to the rooms. And the walk down the beach or the main street at night is safe (of course taking normal precautions) and well lite from other hotels/restaurants.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Just dropped someone off at Sans Souci... the road was well let that runs from the beach to Alegria. The beach is a little dark from center of town to there, but should be fine to walk - (at least I've not heard of any problems with people walking home to hotels up that end of the bay)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I want to stay in Cabarete - close to the beach, bars, restaurants, etc .. i'm wondering if the Alegria is a little too far off the main area as i'm a single traveler and have heard the road can be a little dangerous to walk on especially at night, etc. thanks,

I have stayed at Alegria long term and I like it a lot. Perfect location, close to the beach, close to restaurants, bars etc - STILL far enough to not ruin my sleep... Love the jacuzzi and small gym on the roof top. Nice staff and owners and excellent restaurant. Alegria my choice and 2 cents.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I stayed at the Cita del Sol once and found it to be clean & good value for money. I'd be happy to stay there again if needed.

Sounds like both places are decent enough?

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
This is a no brainer, Cita del Sol is the right choice.

I agree. The alley to La Alegria maybe well lit, but is is not well traveled late at night.
I occasionally meet up with friends at the beach and I have no problem walking back to Cita del Sol at 2 in the morning. Security guard at Casa Laguna Hotel and then another one at the Banco Progreso. 20 meters to go to CdS parking lot where the security guard will open the gate for you. Lots of people on the street anyway.

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
I agree. The alley to La Alegria maybe well lit, but is is not well traveled late at night.
I occasionally meet up with friends at the beach and I have no problem walking back to Cita del Sol at 2 in the morning. Security guard at Casa Laguna Hotel and then another one at the Banco Progreso. 20 meters to go to CdS parking lot where the security guard will open the gate for you. Lots of people on the street anyway.

True, maybe not well lit but it's safe. I have single female friends who travel to Caberete for the weekend off and on and have no problems even at night, as long as they take the typical precautions.

gypsytan

Oct 19, 2007
If I were you, I would read the reviews on both hotels on tripadvisor.com. Here's my modest opinion:

Women do not have problems walking to and from the center of town from Alegria or anywhere in that area. Despite the beach or road not being fully lit, it's safe. With men, well, that's another story. The real threat in Cabarete are the prostitutes, hassling men especially in the evening on the beach, and stealing from them. No such threat for women.

Alegria is a family-owned hotel and managed by the owners who live on site. Cita del Sol is a condominium, thus managed by employees.

The area around Alegria is fairly quiet and thus allows you to rest better without having to deal with the street noise. On the other hand, if you don't mind motorcycle noises and a busy street to cross to go to the beach, Cita del Sol is indeed more centrally located.

Status
Not open for further replies.