Ethanol Gasoline Mix

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I just read this:

Does anyone have any details about this? How does this mix of gasoline affect your car in terms of performance? If you have a gasoline engine will you be able to purchase this type of gasoline and pour it into your car normally?

Lu

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The ethanol/gas mix works fine and causes no damage to engines. It does cause a problem with boats that have fiberglass gas tanks.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
From what I've read (automotive trade mags) you can expect about a 20% decrease in mpg as E85 doesn't burn as efficiently. Believe all newer vehicles are flex fuel accepting.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
What about performance and engine quality for older vehicles, i.e vehicles that are 5, 10 or 15 years old? There must be some type of negative effects.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
What about performance and engine quality for older vehicles, i.e vehicles that are 5, 10 or 15 years old? There must be some type of negative effects.

Not totally sure- could find out for you in a couple days if you want. Cars started being "flex fuel" capable in the middle 90's (Ford and Chrysler had different fuel filters). Where I think you would hit a problem is with OLD vehicles- remember when gas went "unleaded"? 70's and earlier vehicles need a lead replacement additive for lubrication. Am sure the market will come up with a new additive if need be- IF E85 ever takes hold. From what I've read, it's not the solution- takes way to much energy to produce. If the government wasn't subsidising this big time, probably wouldn't even be on the table.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AHHH, but in the DR they are talking about E92.5!!!! In the argot of NASCAR "WTF" are they doing???
This was in DR1 News a week ago and nobody said anything...

The rest of the world marches to a different drum....

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
AHHH, but in the DR they are talking about E92.5!!!! In the argot of NASCAR "WTF" are they doing???
This was in DR1 News a week ago and nobody said anything...

The rest of the world marches to a different drum....

HB

Excuse my ignorrance ol' buddy but would this be made from cane? If so, this is supposed to be THE most efficient alternative fuel. But how could the Gov't give out free money to "raise cane" in West Virginia? Corruption isn't exclusive to the DR.......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Randy: I am reading Coal River now, the story of coal mining along a river i grew up on...

In the DR, they have announced that the Ethanol mixture will be 7.5% Ethanol and 92.5% gasoline....seems strange....

And they have yet to start...

HB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
With a 10% ethanol gasoline, you must make the change for good - by not going back and forth from regular gasoline to ethanol and then back to regular gasoline between fillups.

After the first tank or two of the ethanol mix, you've got to change your fuel filter, as the ethanol will clean out the particles and gunk that were in the system, therefore plugging the fuel filter and cutting the fuel flow.

With an E-85 mix, beware! Detroit makes specific engines that are made to burn E-85 , and this information is in the vehicles data. The engine seals are different. In an engine that is not made for E-85 (or higher) the fuel will eventually dissolve the seals in the engine, which is EXPENSIVE to fix.

GringoCArlos - using 10% ethanol since about 1980, (well at least until 1994 when I left for good),and my pappy now burns E-85.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Out of curiosity, what does pappy currently pay for a gallon of E85? Here in N.E. PA we don't currently have stations that sell this.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Regular gas there is at $3.09. 10% ethanol runs about 10-12 cents a gallon less, and same mileage. Pappy confirmed that if youve been using dirty, regular gas, that you will need to change a fuel filter or two (or three) after making the switchover to 10% ethanol.

E-85 gets poorer mileage, and needs to be 20-25 cents per gallon less than regular gas to breakeven with the poorer mileage. He also has the problem of few stations selling E-85 and he lives in a big corn state with many ethanol plants up and running.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Thanks for the pricing info GCarlos. Been in the automotive buss for almost 30yrs (10 as owner of a store)- seen a LOT of changes- some just don't make $en$e.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think I read that the energy required to make a unit of ethanol is greater than the thermal potential that unit can produce.

In the bigger picture that doesn't sound like the greatest of tradeoffs.