Locating my ancestors? Any advice??

Melina

Mar 26, 2008
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York
I'm new to this site (after realizing I should be more knowledgeable of where I come from) and I need help as to where I can find information on my ancestors. Or is that even possible?

It started when a teacher of mine pointed out during class that my last name is Italian (Beato (first time I've ever heard this). I looked up my last name on Ancestry.com and it's origins are from Italy and Spain. How do I go about this? I could build a family tree on that site but it requires me to find information I have no way of finding. I'm starting to believe this might become complicated since Dominicans are mixed with so many other nationalities/ethnicities.

In my family, the disparity in looks are very obvious: I have cousins who have blue eyes, very light skinned, and the "pelo bueno" and then I have those who look more on the African American side. I think I'm in between, but then again, I've been mistaken for Jewish, Middle Eastern (by a Dominican guy!! lol) and other nationalities.

My father's side has the pelo bueno and Caucasian features (but also some on my mother's side). So I have no where to start. I don't want to leave this alone either. I need to know about my background!!!!! lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Have you tried asking your parents? That could work! :cheeky:

If you are truly interested, then maybe taking a DNA test would solve some of your problems. This might set you back a few hundred dollars, at the very least, but if you are desperate, that's one way to go.

The other way is to do plenty of research on the internet. Google your surname and see what type of results it gives you.

You can also try to become a member on some networking sites like Hi5 or Facebook and try to meet people with the same surname as yours there. If you are lucky, you might find someone who may know a thing or two about some Beato who supposedly moved to Santo Domingo in XYZ time, so on and so forth.

What part of the DR are you from?

I'm going to assume the Cibao, but...

-NALs

Melina

Mar 26, 2008
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York
I highly doubt my parents will know. But I haven't tried. I'll take your suggestion.
I would not mind setting forth a few hundred for a DNA test. No big deal.

My mother is from San Cristobal and my dad is from Puerto Plata. Both dark, my sister and I came out light skinned, my brother came out dark.

Cibao?? what?? lol.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Cibao?? what?? lol.
Heh, it was worth a try! :cheeky:

Good luck in your search. If I come across any info or a person with some info, I'll let you know.

-NALs

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Ancestors

I do genealogy research, on my own tree and for others when time permits. PM me if you want and I'll see what I can do with the information you have.
Laura
I'm new to this site (after realizing I should be more knowledgeable of where I come from) and I need help as to where I can find information on my ancestors. Or is that even possible?

It started when a teacher of mine pointed out during class that my last name is Italian (Beato (first time I've ever heard this). I looked up my last name on Ancestry.com and it's origins are from Italy and Spain. How do I go about this? I could build a family tree on that site but it requires me to find information I have no way of finding. I'm starting to believe this might become complicated since Dominicans are mixed with so many other nationalities/ethnicities.

In my family, the disparity in looks are very obvious: I have cousins who have blue eyes, very light skinned, and the "pelo bueno" and then I have those who look more on the African American side. I think I'm in between, but then again, I've been mistaken for Jewish, Middle Eastern (by a Dominican guy!! lol) and other nationalities.

My father's side has the pelo bueno and Caucasian features (but also some on my mother's side). So I have no where to start. I don't want to leave this alone either. I need to know about my background!!!!! lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are Beatos in Santiago. Marta Beato is well known as a family councilor. They are, generally speaking, an intelligent and well educated family.

I would not put too much stock in these on-line genealogy sites. I think you should get in touch with Edwin Espinal who has made a name for himself in this field.

I think there is a website, OpenDNS Something like that. Do a google search.

Whatever, it is a good last name, well respected, and if you came here for a visit, you would like your family.

FYI.
The Cibao is a long valley that goes roughly south east to north west (almost east to west) from one end of the country to another. It is the richest agricultural area in the Caribbean and the heartland of the DR. People who live here are " cibaen~os"

Julio Tulio

Mar 12, 2008
Lol,bro,let sleeping dogs lie.You will be rerouted towards Africa like that old Freddy Beras joke.

Pointless for afro-diasporians to look up the bloodline.Thats a tree that has been uprooted a long time ago.

Yeah I always get confused for "Hindu" even by Indians.

Its annoying.Im like im Cuban and Dominican,folk.Back off..lololol....

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
There are Beatos in Santiago. Marta Beato is well known as a family councilor. They are, generally speaking, an intelligent and well educated family.

I would not put too much stock in these on-line genealogy sites. I think you should get in touch with Edwin Espinal who has made a name for himself in this field.

I think there is a website, OpenDNS Something like that. Do a google search.

Whatever, it is a good last name, well respected, and if you came here for a visit, you would like your family.

FYI.
The Cibao is a long valley that goes roughly south east to north west (almost east to west) from one end of the country to another. It is the richest agricultural area in the Caribbean and the heartland of the DR. People who live here are " cibaen~os"
Bad url geneologia.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That, friend, is why I said "I think.....and "something like that...." I knew there was a website but since I did not have the newspaper that has the genealogy column, I was basically guessing.

I'll find it.

HB

This is what i found in google: Instituto Dominicano de Genealog?a, Inc.

Ask Edwin about your family....

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow

I highly doubt my parents will know. But I haven't tried. I'll take your suggestion.
I would not mind setting forth a few hundred for a DNA test. No big deal.

My mother is from San Cristobal and my dad is from Puerto Plata. Both dark, my sister and I came out light skinned, my brother came out dark.

Cibao?? what?? lol.

my wife's family is from San Cristobal, a lot in the city and a lot in the campos of Najayo....small world! :)

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
[QUOTE=Julio Tulio;

Yeah I always get confused for "Hindu" even by Indians.

I hear ya man I hear you loud and clear...I go thru that all the time and don't know what to do about it.

SuperConejo

Mar 30, 2007
This is an interesting thread, i have been looking for two VERY rare surnames for a long time and i can't find almost no info on them, and very few ppl in the country have them. I am from San Francisco de Macoris all around it, the mountains, countryside and the city.

The Surnames i look for are Mayi and Payano.

Mayi from the research i've done points to either an Arabic or Central-African surname or word.

Payano i have no idea about, again, most of the people with these surnames are located in San Francisco de macoris, i have NEVER met any other dominicans with the surname Mayi, so ti seems that Payano is *slightly* more common, i seen a payano liquor store one time.

jump2top08

Apr 4, 2008
experts

there are experts who know a lot bout tracing family ancestry and stuff (like the one they did for obama and brad pitt-- lol they're related!) anyway, why dont u try contacting these people (but uhh, it'll be a little expensive :ermm:)