Sammy the Las Galeras Con Man.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is posted as requested by one of our DR1 lurkers and well known and reputed poster on Lonely Planet.

Warning to Visitors to Las Galeras

Las Galeras is still small enough that the few "bad cats" on the street taking advantage of visitors are easy to know after a couple of days. The usual game is getting money up front for an excursion that never happens.

One fellow you are well advised not to deal with is called Sammy. He is an older slim built man. Recently visitors paid him money for two nights at a hotel that he doesn't own! Lucky for them, the hotel owner did end up letting them stay there for no extra charge. (No doubt better controls to avoid this have now been put in place.)

There is no end to the ways Sammy has been able to extract money from people and some are rather ingenious and some are nasty. So best just to avoid him. He normally waits for the guagua to arrive at the crossroads and makes his approach before you can get your bearings.

Another game that is played is to tell tourists the place they want to go is closed and than they take you to a place where they receive a commission. Best to check that sort of information with someone else before you believe it.

In a small village, people will hesitate to "rat" on each other. If you are in doubt just stay around the crossroads for 20 minutes and you are sure to see a gringo you can confer with. (a fellow that looks like Santa often sits in Gri Gri's bar on the crossroad and he's a decent bet for straight information in English.)
PS:Sammy is Dominican and he is tall and rather thin for a Dominican. I would say medium brown in skin tone. He will offer to get you virtually anything. His command of English is not great.There are really so few touts in Las Galeras that people should be able to identify him if they have a head's up.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que idiotas.....

AMAZING!!!!!.

It amazes me that SOME people are stupid enough to still fall for this OLD scam!!.

Let's not only blame that spineless Sammy....let's also blame those who leave their common sense back home and make it so easy for him to say: "I got you, sucker!".

Telling a "Sammy": "get away from me, NOW!", is NOT hard to do...Been there, done that!.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know this guy. Met him one day in Las Galeras near the end of the road where the beach is. Seemed OK, but I brushed him off when he tried to sell me a tour of some kind. Smooth operator, excellent English.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
So many "Sammies" so little time

Makes me wonder how many Sammies there are out there. Good posting Rocky. Beware.;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Makes me wonder how many Sammies there are out there. Good posting Rocky. Beware.;)

In the DR there are many hustlers like this. They are no threat to you unless you get involved in some deal with them. This particular guy does have a lot of useful info on the area. His MO is mainly to get a commission on whatever you do. Many Gringos do the same to other Gringos. Believe it.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Good "heads up" Rocky". Hope this post reaches some prospective travellers before they part with their $$$.

What surprises me is how trusting some unsuspecting tourists are when travelling away from home. People are so cautious and guarded in their home countries but fall for the smooth talking of complete strangers in exotic destinations.

Many times tourists are inclined to do things (especially excursions) on the cheap, which is great if the person is legit....but in many instances the scenarios prove to be nothing more than a scam. Too bad !

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Yuppers...........

Yes there are many and all over the world. Nice to see as usual there are those who post and look out for all. ;)