Sto Dgo coat of arms, what's meaning?

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I couldnt believe how little info there is on this topic, all you find is

In 1508, Ferdinand II of Aragon gave the city the coat of arms with the emblem of "First City of the Indies."

Over, and over again.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
I couldnt believe how little info there is on this topic, all you find is

In 1508, Ferdinand II of Aragon gave the city the coat of arms with the emblem of "First City of the Indies."

Over, and over again.

Where did you find this? on the adn website? because I couldn't find it. The only thing that I saw was the mentioning that it is " heraldic" and that's it.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Where did you find this? on the adn website? because I couldn't find it. The only thing that I saw was the mentioning that it is " heraldic" and that's it.

Just surfed the net. I came across it in several different contexts, ill go back and repost so readers could sense the gist of the sentence/paragraph.

Found some really cool sites about Colonial Zone history will include as well.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
The city was founded between the years 1496 and 1498, as Santo Domingo de Guzm?n, by Bartolomeo Columbus (Bartolom? Col?n), brother of Christopher Columbus, on the eastern bank of the Ozama River, and extended to the western bank in 1502 by the governor Friar Nicol?s de Ovando. The city served as a model for other colonial cities of the New World. In 1508, Ferdinand II of Aragon gave the city the coat of arms with the emblem of "First City of the Indies."

Santo Domingo City Columbus Colonial Western New Ozama World

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
The city was founded between the years 1496 and 1498, as Santo Domingo de Guzm?n, by Bartolomeo Columbus (Bartolom? Col?n), brother of Christopher Columbus, on the eastern bank of the Ozama River, and extended to the western bank in 1502 by the governor Friar Nicol?s de Ovando. The city served as a model for other colonial cities of the New World. In 1508, Ferdinand II of Aragon gave the city the coat of arms with the emblem of "First City of the Indies."

Santo Domingo City Columbus Colonial Western New Ozama World

Thankyou.

That's the only thing they say, that Ferndinad gave the coat of arms, but doesn't say what it means.