Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cockroaches

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cockroaches

Hi,
    So I got the biggest cockroach in my apartment last night. Seriously, it must of had to open the door and walk in it was so big. Now im worried....do i have a cockroach problem???? What can i use to keep them at bay?

Thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy the little traps, but if they are really big, they probably can't fit into the door. You might ask a local veterinarian.

This reminds me of a cockroach that entered our apartment right after we got married in Santiago. I had never seen one so big - honestly it looked like a small bird when it was flying. It was about 3 1/2 inches long and about an inch at it's widest. It made an awful mess when I squashed it too.

John Evans

I wouldnt worry too much if you have only seen one.....I was told not to squash them coz the eggs come out ...is this an old wives tale? I was also told they dont fly in the Dominican republic.

If you are in the sosua area you could contact Isabelle at U casa pest control 829 917 7004

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am a bit relieved but still dont want any to come back. My kitchen hasnt exactly been the cleanest for the past week, would this affect cockroaches? I heard they dont like catnip? Can you buy that here?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do not have a drain in your shower or bathtub to keep them out they will come through the pipes at night.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Evans View Post
    I wouldnt worry too much if you have only seen one.....I was told not to squash them coz the eggs come out ...is this an old wives tale? I was also told they dont fly in the Dominican republic.

If you are in the sosua area you could contact Isabelle at U casa pest control 829 917 7004
    Shall I send pictures, haha!

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy some Acido Borico (Boric Acid) at the pharmacia for about RD$30. It comes in a small shaker container, in dust form. Sprinkle a little bit around the baseboards and stove inthe kitchen. (not too much though). The cockroaches pick it up on their feet, clean themselves and die. In a week or two they will be gone.

Alternatively, call pest control and pay them about $600 to $1000 for a service.

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

PLEASE be careful with Boric Acid. is very dangerous if you have children or pets!!

John Evans

no pictures thank you - i was quite happy believing they dont fly

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

Talldrink, I am not advocating that one constantly leaves Boric Acid spread around the house for pest control. I am talking about a periodic light application, which with NORMAL household cleaning, would be swept up or mopped away in a few days. Of course, one needs to keep the darn container out of reach of children so they don't eat the entire container (which even then, would not be sufficient to cause damages to children).

Sorry, but apparently you know something the US EPA and others do not. Boric Acid is rated at low toxicity, and its a heck of a lot safer than most pesticides that a pest control service would apply in a home for pest control.

Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/borictech.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast