Driving directions from STI to POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPJuan

Mar 29, 2008
I've visited the DR several times and have found driving ok there. I mainly drove between POP airport, POP and Sosua. This trip, at the end of the month, I am driving from STI airport to POP and want good directions.

I have read many of the threads and it looks like there are two ways to go: over the mountains and the main highway. I would prefer the main highway and I have plenty of time to make the drive both ways.

I will be landing in STI on a Monday afternoon and flying out on a Thursday afternoon.

Can someone please provide the easiest fastest directions from STI airport into to POP and back.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, if you insist.
1) Do not take the mountain road, it is a mess, still.

2) So basically, you just follow your nose out of the airport to Santiago, follow the signs to POP and go along the major avenue,

3) Turn right in Navarrete (there are signs) and follow your nose to POP.

About 1:45 from the airport. Add another :20 for Sosua.

HB

HPJuan

Mar 29, 2008
Hillbilly,

Thanks for your simple directions. I was able to get from Santiago to Puerto Plata in about 2 hours after getting a little turned around in Santiago. The drive back to Santiago from Puerto Plata was fine...I made it to the city limits in the morning rain in 1 hour, but got lost in Santiago again and had to hail a motoconcho to take me to the airport.

All in all it is something that I would do again. Basically you take the 1 to the 5. My next trip I will be flying directly into to Puerto Plata, so I won't have to worry about doing this again, but actually getting a little lost in Santiago afforded me some views of this beautiful city.

Thanks for your help.

Juan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I guess I could have been a little more specific with my directions, so my bad. Sorry you got a little lost...it is kinda easy to do...

Come on down one of these trips and learn your way around. It is an interesting place..

HB

HPJuan

Mar 29, 2008
Hillbilly,

Your directions were very good. I got out of Santiago into Puerto Plata by specifically following your directions. After spending a lot of time driving in the DR I can follow directions like "follow your nose" much better than take the 1 to the 5 when the signage is not very good.

Thank you very much!!!

Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.