Cost of a Notary Public in SD

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I needed to get a document notarized a couple of weeks ago.A simple two page affidafit. If I had that done here in NY it would cost from $0-$1.00.
I paid so much in SD that I am embarassed to report the amount here.
What should this cost?

john

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I think I paid about RD$500 per page, for the translation into Spanish and the notarization for documents, in a bufete near the Ciudad Nueva courthouse.

One important thing to remember johne, is that here in the DR, the notary is NOT just notarizing that the person signing IS the person signing the document. Under Dominican law, they are ALSO notarizing that the document is a LEGAL document, because if the document does not follow the law and they notarize it, they may go to jail too. That is the reason that a notary in the DR must also be an abogado, and not just someone's secretary with a Notary's stamp.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Further to yor point

I think I paid about RD$500 per page, for the translation into Spanish and the notarization for documents, in a bufete near the Ciudad Nueva courthouse.

One important thing to remember johne, is that here in the DR, the notary is NOT just notarizing that the person signing IS the person signing the document. Under Dominican law, they are ALSO notarizing that the document is a LEGAL document, because if the document does not follow the law and they notarize it, they may go to jail too. That is the reason that a notary in the DR must also be an abogado, and not just someone's secretary with a Notary's stamp.

He indicated this document became part of the record (don't know who's record) for 6 years. Very formal with copies for him and copies for me.
Thanks for the insight now feel better about paying 1500 rd (can't believe I paid that)

john

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There could be some regional differences - the last document I had notarised was a 2 page document, last December, no translation needed as it was already in Spanish. This was in Puerto Plata and the total cost was RD$400.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well this lawyer was building a 5 bedroom 4 bath house north of Orlando Fla.-perhaps that is part of the "regional difference" AKA his need to put some distance from SD. with my money. LOL

Off topic: I asked him to tell me more about his home building in Fla. He said "I believe that the DR, in 3 years, will implode and I am taking my precauctions"

john
john

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
A few months ago I paid 1,000 for the same service. In an office close to ciudad nueva courthouse. It was one page and needed translation

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
when i was in SD in february, i had the rental agreement on an apartment notarized (a 5 page document) i paid $1000 pesos. the notary even came to where we were to notarize the documents.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
Some of these lawyers try to get whatever rate they think that they can get. ;). I was shocked at this "negotiation" of such fees the first time I was at a lawyers office in DR. Oh ...that and the guy walking around with the big gun slung over his shoulder..that too.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Rates depend on:

1. Whether you are a foreigner
2. Whether you look like you can pay a lot
3. Relationship with a lawyer.

With that being said I have been quoted RD500 to RD2000 for a simple document that did not need to be translated, simply they were notarizing that the signature was mine, ie it was an a contract in English for one of my projects not associated in the DR.

Obviously, I now do it through a friend's lawyer, and it is RD500 max.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
Right there with you Chip, once you see the "procedure" yopu know the drill. My first time witnessing one of these negotiations was an eye-opener. What a colorful debate..the lawyers in NY or Boston would be amazed.