no rainforest?

Feb 15, 2005
We have no rainforest, right? Puerto Rico has one but we don?t.Pity...

I know that Polo in the southwest is considered close to being a rain area, thus this produces incredibly good coffee.

I would think that areas such as Jarabacoa and Costanza have there rain areas.

El Junque in PR is a very touristy area because it is easily accessible. But I'n certain that DR has areas that are not as easily accessible.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Parque Nacional Sierra de Baoruco is considered to be rainforest and I believe the one park near Jarabacoa is considered to be a cloud rainforest- Ebano verde trees...etc.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
None of the Caribbean Islands have a rainforest like the ones in Colombia, Ecuador or Costa rica...However, I have read that Loma Quita Espuela up in SFM, is what comes close to what a rainforest is.

We have other forests, just not this type of forest.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
National Geographic has just done a short on Loma Quita Espuela. I will try to get the link to post here.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Plenty of forest like this, ..

240108488_cc9c5c2648.jpg

..but no official rain forest.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Description of Loma Quita Espuela... note it is also called a cloud forest!

This Reserve includes the most important rain and cloud forest in the country, and is the source of 60 streams that supply drinking water and water for irrigation to various cities in the region. It possesses great biological diversity to include serving as a refuge for important threatened species. FLQE's mission is to ensure balance between conservation and rational use of the Reserve's natural resources with the improvement of the quality of life of the communities that have ties to it.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Kudos to the Fundacion Loma Quinta Espuela.. They are doing a wonderful job and serve as an example that can possibly be duplicated with other crops.

J

John Evans

there is rainforest in st lucia and guadeloupe also isnt there

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Kudos to the Fundacion Loma Quinta Espuela.. They are doing a wonderful job and serve as an example that can possibly be duplicated with other crops.

Yeah but I read last year that they were going to build an acueducto (without any permits from Medio Ambiente)...and that the rangers feared that it was going to be under threat because of (possible) ilegal logging.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Help me out a bit?

What do they mean by ecotourism? Has anyone been on their tour? I am a bit confused here. I have been to the Sierra Borucrho (sp?--I just know that is wrong! ) which is beautiful but at least inside the building there are panels which explain things very well. Unfortunately no one in the hotel thought to really prepare us by packing lunch or even water so we were rushed when we really would have stayed all day. So does anyone know what these group tours mean? I would be interested to know. I live in the Capital. And perhaps could at lease publicize a tour-- maybe through well Say DR 1?