Renewing permanent residence

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
My permanent residence card is about to expire.

I frankly don’t remember where in Santo Domingo I went to get it (my lawyer was herding me then).

I think I have to bring my residence card, my cedula and my passport right?

1. Where in Santo Domingo I have to go to renew the residence card.

I plan to go next Wednesday from Puerto Plata, in the first bus in the morning.

2. Which bus will bring me closer Metro or Caribe Tours?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You need photos, money and you have to fill in some forms. And you need your passport, residence and cedula. I don't know how many photos of what size or how much money, but this information is available in the immigration offices. We'll be going in August and will post up to date information then. All of this information is on the forum if you search for it.

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You need photos, money and you have to fill in some forms. And you need your passport, residence and cedula. I don't know how many photos of what size or how much money, but this information is available in the immigration offices. We'll be going in August and will post up to date information then. All of this information is on the forum if you search for it.

Has the procedure changed? When I renewed mine last year, all I had to do was fill a form, present my residency and my cedula (I think), pay for the renewal and that was it... They even used my old picture they had in their database.

Aguayo,

The place is known as Migracion and it's located on the Malecon. It's the same place where they issue the passports to Dominicans, only when you enter, you go through the right-hand door.

As for the bus, Metro's stop is closer than Caribe Tours.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Lol! Thanks for posting your experience! I couldn't help but laugh at your whole experience and could just imagine the look the guys at Caribe Tours probably gave you... Gotta love the DR!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Santiago Area Residents - GOOD NEWS!

You can do your renewal at Immigration, Santiago.

No line, instance service.

Form: 40 pesos
Renewal: 2,380 pesos

Time in office: 10-15 minutes

Pick up new Residence Card in a week.
-or-
Pay 1,000 pesos and get it the next day.

Eliminate all the things Windeguy had to go through (Except the dog part).

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
looks like a hassle.
i have again to renew mine this upcoming end november.
the last times and i will follow the same procedure this time will be the following(i live in punta cana and i am not in the mood of travelling to the capital, hate the cities and the driving throu them):
i sent(last time been november 2006, it's always for 2 years) my old residency together with a copy of my cedula via Metro pak to my lawyer in st dgo on a tuesday, got my newly for an other 2 years renewed card back by metro pak the same week friday, i paid on my lawyers account 4.000.- pesos for all, around 2.500.- been for the tax for the renewal, around 1.500.- for the lawyer so she did all the work and i did not need to travel to the capital. aside the waste of time in long lines and the hassle to find out what to do and where and when to do it, just the gas for the ride would have cost much more than i paid her.
that lady takes care of my stuff since over a decade, if interested just drop her a call on 1-809-860-2741 for her cell or 1-809-535-0471 for her office. want to add that she is not speaking a perfect english which can be a problem on the phone for the ones who still do not speak spanish.
hassle free and cheap.
have fun
Mike

ingramlaw

Apr 5, 2007
I live in Puerto Plata

-or-

Where exactly is the Immigration office located? I presume that there would be no problem for me renewing my residency there as well. I will be renewing my card about three months early because of a pressing family matter in the U.S.. Does anyone know if that will be a problem? Thanks

ingramlaw

Apr 5, 2007
I live in Puerto Plata

-or-

Where exactly is the Immigration office located? I presume that there would be no problem for me renewing my residency there as well. I will be renewing my card about three months early because of a pressing family matter in the U.S.. Does anyone know if that will be a problem? Thanks By the way, I live in Puerto Plata.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The Location is on 27th de Febrero, just South of Supermercado Nacional.

Coming from Nacional, you will see a KFC, continue South on 27th de febrero to the 1st intersection on the right side (Past Caribbe Tours, continue South), turn right (Texas Ave. I believe), the building is then on your left (Parking is on the right).

Take the walk-up ramp or the elevator to the 2nd floor, office is on your left.

citysign.jpg

ingramlaw

Apr 5, 2007
You can't renew more than two months ahead of time. Only those residency cards within two months of expiration are in the computer. You can have someone renew it for you if you won't be here. I was told all of this in the Migration office in Santiago on friday.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
good one ingramlaw,
thanks for that, i did not know about that.
in case of somebody renewing for you, yes, that's what i always do myself, the roadtrip to the capital(i live in PC) and a full day off the business for the renewal would be a hassle, i let my lawyer renew it and that works just fine.
Mike

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Update

Pick up new Residence Card in a week. (See Update Note Below)
-or-

Update Note:
In typical Dominican fashion, "pick up in a week", took just over 3 weeks to get the card.
(July 18th - August 12th)

The good part is that the new card was dated yesterday, August 11th.

So anyone planning to renew early will lose time, it will carry the date they make the card.

This technique of changing the dates seems to apply to everything here except the Driver?s License which expires on your birthday.

Don SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
hi Don,
the cedula also expires on your birthday.
Mike

Last time mine expired, I was told I had to wait until January of the year after the year it expired to apply for a new one. This was told to me in the office that issues the cedula card. I had to make a trip back again to get the new card.

There is only a "year" on the cedula, no month and day.
Although one's birthdate is on the cedula.

Don SantiagoDR

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
he he
yes Don,
i now it's a mess with the cedular renewals since ears, at least it has been during the last 5-6 years for renewals of dominican citizens.
at the very first time i received mine i've been told that my residncy card expires on the date shown on the card (1st time is the temporary one expiring after one year, from there on the permnent one you have to renew every 2 years, mine will expire this november) and the cedula expires at the day of your birthday(yes, shown on the card) in the year printed on the card. in my case my actual cedula is still valid til 2010, my birthday would mean sept 18th 2010, but i did not ask about that since a long while, the last time i renewed my cedula been in sumer 2004, by then they did that for 6 years, so next one sheduled 2010. my wife(she's not a resident, she's dominican) got her new one this spring and is valid til 2018, 10 years, looks like they expanded the prior time of validation so they will have less work with renewing the stuff. i also heard tht renewed permanent residences now are given for for than the prior usual 2 years, but can not comment on that by own experience til november, than longer than better, lol.
s'y' around
Mike

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
....... i also heard tht renewed permanent residences now are given for for than the prior usual 2 years, but can not comment on that by own experience til november, than longer than better, lol.
s'y' around
Mike

Nope, still two years on the permanent residency, unless they changed it since Monday, August 11th, 2008 when they made mine.

And as stated previously, I was told by the office in Santo Domingo, the Cedular can not be renewed until January or later of the year after that printed on the card. My previous card expired in 2004, they made me make the trip back in 2005 to get the new one, telling me it expired at the end of the year.

And they would not renew it earlier than that.

Oppsssss:

In super fine print under the "year" on the Cedular card it saids:
"vence dia nacimiento a?o"

I just checked the copy of the old Cedular, it said the same thing as above.

So, they lied to me in Santo Domingo in 2004, or perhaps if they are political appointees, did not know any better. If the wording was not so small that I did not read it, I would have made an issue about it. That was a waste of time and money going back to Santo Domingo from Santiago.

Another one of those: "Only in the DR" things....................

Thanks for the information Mike.

Don SantiagoDR