methadone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

djboots40

Apr 21, 2008
I am on 52 mgs of methadone from a clinic in the us, the script is on each bottle, and it is liquid. I am trying to plan a graduation vacation with my girlfriend. Mexico doesn't sound that easy for someone on this medication to visit, but dominican republic I read was a possibility to travel with methadone. Also, I am on andro-gel, for a head injury. It is testosterone, its not anabolic, and I need the medication in order to keep my muscles from atrophying.

I am grateful for information. Who do I call, there is a lawer on this site, can I email him?(a moderator i believe)

Thanks

Joseph A.

djboots40

Apr 21, 2008
Margeret, thanks....I found this too on ARM website, I just want to be sure....Maybe I should call that number....I think I tried but I needed someone to speak engish to.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
maybe you should try calling your embassy in DR. they should be able to assist you.

PENJO

Apr 10, 2008
??? I am not sure I understand you!
Is it that you want to take your own supply when you go down there?

No.1 Can your PCP write you a letter to ascert you as pt/NEED of use of the Rx.
No.2 If this is the case and you go this route, Please, Please, DO NOT TAKE SUCH DRUG IN A CARRY ON BAG. (I would put it in a plastic see-thru safety bag and put it in main luggage.) I would also consider taking the bag down to the US Custom (If onw in your area) They would probably stamp it or give a note of declaration of such.
I did similar declaration in the past with valuable and electronics and had no problem in/out of US neither in the Dominican. I also did it in other countries and never a problem.
Please with the new system in use in some airports I (Seriously) would not even think to take across a tic tac as contraband. Even hair lyse can be seen. Caferul!
My mother used prescribed narcotics and we never experienced any trouble in/out of Dominican. We just declared it and kept in the main luggage.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
??? I am not sure I understand you!
Is it that you want to take your own supply when you go down there?

No.1 Can your PCP write you a letter to ascert you as pt/NEED of use of the Rx.
No.2 If this is the case and you go this route, Please, Please, DO NOT TAKE SUCH DRUG IN A CARRY ON BAG. (I would put it in a plastic see-thru safety bag and put it in main luggage.) I would also consider taking the bag down to the US Custom (If onw in your area) They would probably stamp it or give a note of declaration of such.
I did similar declaration in the past with valuable and electronics and had no problem in/out of US neither in the Dominican. I also did it in other countries and never a problem.
Please with the new system in use in some airports I (Seriously) would not even think to take across a tic tac as contraband. Even hair lyse can be seen. Caferul!
My mother used prescribed narcotics and we never experienced any trouble in/out of Dominican. We just declared it and kept in the main luggage.

What do mean by "Dominican"...The Country or a Dominican Person, I am confused. Are you referring to a drug mule?

tambo'

djboots40

Apr 21, 2008
Attention Penjo

I am getting the letter written and signed by my doctor. It is actually a medication I need to bring to the Dominican Republic for vacation. Are you saying, no to carry on luggage, even with the letter signed by my doctor. Im gonna attempt to call the embassy now. Do they speak english, Im in USA (New England)

Thanks

Hope this helps, and someone can help clarify. Im nervious, should my luggage get lost, I go into withdrawal the next day and vacation ruined, me possibly facing life threatening condition.

Thanks again

PENJO

Apr 10, 2008
I am getting the letter written and signed by my doctor. It is actually a medication I need to bring to the Dominican Republic for vacation. Are you saying, no to carry on luggage, even with the letter signed by my doctor. Im gonna attempt to call the embassy now. Do they speak english, Im in USA (New England)

Thanks

Hope this helps, and someone can help clarify. Im nervious, should my luggage get lost, I go into withdrawal the next day and vacation ruined, me possibly facing life threatening condition.

Thanks again

I've never, thanksfully, never had a bad experience with lost luggage. I meant to keep those things in your suitcase. I actually sealed things into those tilia vaccum bags. Even needles.
I see Tamborista posted the TSA information below. Pardon the scant information here but if need be to speak to TSA, I would rather contact their office at the Ronald Reagan Airport in Washington/Virginia. Again, pardon me but I cannot find the telephone number right now.
I seal things into those vaccum bags only attempting to show no ill intent. :ermm: I would hate to go as far as the airport and then have to turn back becuase of erroneous infrmation.

J

John Evans

Im wondering what would happen if your luggage goes missing - probably best not to travel at this point in time

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
How many ounces are you bringing? You can't carry more than 3 or 4 oz in your carry on luggage. If it's less than that I would put it in my carry on and have my doctor's note available.

If it's more I would split it if that is possible. Put the maximum amount you are allowed in your carry on and the rest in your luggage.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I think the amount of medication is a non-issue. I found this on the TSA website:

"You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additional items you may bring include:

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection."

That is from this website TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Please dont put prescription medication in your checked luggage...very risky if your luggage doesnt show up when you do!;)

djboots40

Apr 21, 2008
Thanks for all your help, I contacted the DR embassy in Washington DC, and they said just bring a note from your doctor....should it be in english or spanish I wonder?

I really am grateful for all the help, any other information is welcomed.

Im looking at a hotel called Sunset Casa del Mar, all inclusive....I tried to google earth it, but it was hard to check out. Is it on the beach? In the pictures it is.

Also, how is the rain season in late May. early June in la romaneria? (did I type the city right...hmm.

Thanks again!

djb

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Hey!

Congrats on your rehab. Some people very close to me are on methodone and doing well.

That being said, I would humbly suggest you think two and three times about your planned trip to the DR.

First up, your methodone might not make it past customs. Can you go a week without it? If not, you're putting your rehab in jeopardy.

Second, customs officials and DNCD officials are under no obligation to honour an American's doctor's note. You REALLY need to get this preapproved in the DR -- speak to the Dominincan Consulate in your area. There are forms to be filled out in the DR regarding certain medications, and I am fairly certain that Methodone falls under that category. Without that form, you could be in for a hassle. Again, how far along in your rehab are you? How long can you sit in a holding cell before things start getting hairy?

Seems like you're taking on a lot of stress for a week-long vacation. Why not wait until you've weaned yourself of the methodone and then treat yourself? You won't need to worry about documents etc, and you'll be in a better place mentally to handle stresses away from your regular routine.

Again, my apologies if this is out of turn.

Best,

Joe

PENJO

Apr 10, 2008
Dominican Consulate in NYC

Here is the telephone No. to Dominican Consulate in New York City.

(212) 768-2480
1501 Broadway
New York, NY 10036.

It is located by Time Square. Going down Broadway building is on the right. I think it is on the fourth floor.

Feb 29, 2016
Hey, I travel to mexico and dominican republic a lot on vacation and I'm on 10mg of liquid methadone. Just get your clinic or doctor to write you a note stating how many carries you will be travelling with and what your dose is and you will have no problem at all. When leaving your own country make sure you keep it in your carry on and they will most likely ask to go through your bag. Just show them your note and you will be fine. They will most likely swab your carrying case to test to make sure its only methadone and then you will be on your way. Once in dominican or mexico they usually don't care at all. I've only been stopped once and they just do the same thing as your own country does. Very few countries have any issue with methadone. It's pretty well accepted by everyone and you usually get a congrats on getting clean and fixing your problem then you do attitude...at least in my experience. Good luck and have fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.