Abused Women in the DR

avionics

Jan 24, 2003
To whom it may concern,

Dominican Republic's Women's Rights.

I have married a Dominican Republic woman. The best woman I have ever met in my life. We have been married for more than five years and lived together for about six years. We have been to Canada (my home country) and the Dominican Republic (her country) and back the US (our new country). In Canada and the US, there are laws that offer abused women some protection, however, in the Dominican Republic it seems that protection can be on the wrong side of the dispute....

My sister in law (and her daughter) was physically abused from day one after marriage. This abuse kept going on for more than 20 years. Soon after she left the household to make some money to care for herself and the three children, the husband took advantage of the situation to file for divorce and take over all the assets (house) they had built over many years. The husband claimed she had left for another man when in fact he was the one cheating. The husband tried to marry another woman while she was away but faced some problems because there she was not there to consent to divorce.

After the husband badly beat her up a few months ago (and one of the children) he was put in jail for a few hours and then released.

At this time, all I know is that she now has to leave the household and forfeit rights to the house she has helped build over several years. Basically, she will be homeless...

She is a very Christian woman that has never cheated and carries a Bible at all times. I don't believe she is the time to ever cheat on her husband or even lie about anything.

I hear that the husband now has to go to a different church as the priest does not want to see him anymore....

Is there anything I can do to help? Can an abused woman get justice in the Dominican Republic?

Who should I talk to?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
To whom it may concern,

Dominican Republic's Women's Rights.

I have married a Dominican Republic woman. The best woman I have ever met in my life. We have been married for more than five years and lived together for about six years. We have been to Canada (my home country) and the Dominican Republic (her country) and back the US (our new country). In Canada and the US, there are laws that offer abused women some protection, however, in the Dominican Republic it seems that protection can be on the wrong side of the dispute....

My sister in law (and her daughter) was physically abused from day one after marriage. This abuse kept going on for more than 20 years. Soon after she left the household to make some money to care for herself and the three children, the husband took advantage of the situation to file for divorce and take over all the assets (house) they had built over many years. The husband claimed she had left for another man when in fact he was the one cheating. The husband tried to marry another woman while she was away but faced some problems because there she was not there to consent to divorce.

After the husband badly beat her up a few months ago (and one of the children) he was put in jail for a few hours and then released.

At this time, all I know is that she now has to leave the household and forfeit rights to the house she has helped build over several years. Basically, she will be homeless...

She is a very Christian woman that has never cheated and carries a Bible at all times. I don't believe she is the time to ever cheat on her husband or even lie about anything.

I hear that the husband now has to go to a different church as the priest does not want to see him anymore....

Is there anything I can do to help? Can an abused woman get justice in the Dominican Republic?

Who should I talk to?

Just of pure curiousity. Did Dominican people ask you to teach them how they should live?

Or you decided to do it on your own initiative? Willing to make this poor and suffering people the same happy and democratic like modern population of Canada and USA?

Just of curiousity, like I said. Without any judjement.

Mercy bien!

avionics

Jan 24, 2003
"them" is my family....I have to listen to these phone calls and then listen to my wife talking about it....nothing to do with teaching.....trying to help family members with personal problems.

merci pour vos commentaires...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
What a peculiar post from AK74. What does it matter why avionics tried to help a suffering women and her family. Surely it would be correct to try and help any person in trouble including a dog being beaten unmercifully. This I have done here in the RD and would not hesitate to do again.

avionics

Jan 24, 2003
Thank you Mr Guzman

I have emailed the "Secretaria de Estado de la mujer" with contact information (names, adresses+phone numbers) and a link to this thread.

Again, thank you for caring!