Receiving the Matricula to new vehicle

Sexy Beast

May 10, 2008
I have purchased a new Motorcycle while in DR and its been 2 months and I have yet to receive a Matricula for the vehicle. Originally I was told that it takes 2-3 weeks but now I'm just fed up the excuses from the seller.

What is the best way to go about getting this resolved? Should I go to the Fiscal or a Lawyer or both?

I did stop by one Lawyer's office and he told me for 4,000 pesos he would draw up a document that the seller would have 3 days to produce the Matricula or would be forced to refund the purchase cost.

Any Ideas..I'm sick of Dominicans and their way of doing business.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have purchased a new Motorcycle while in DR and its been 2 months and I have yet to receive a Matricula for the vehicle. Originally I was told that it takes 2-3 weeks but now I'm just fed up the excuses from the seller.

What is the best way to go about getting this resolved? Should I go to the Fiscal or a Lawyer or both?

I did stop by one Lawyer's office and he told me for 4,000 pesos he would draw up a document that the seller would have 3 days to produce the Matricula or would be forced to refund the purchase cost.

Any Ideas..I'm sick of Dominicans and their way of doing business.

You may want to try and adapt to the way things are done with regards to these type of matters if you plan to stay in the DR....hard as that may be.;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not all that unusual for it to take a couple of months to get the first matricula for a new bike.
I do understand your frustration and it may be the seller's fault, but it also just may be the standard Dominican slow pace.
My buddy bought a bike a couple of days ago, and the seller told him to expect to wait a month or 2 for the matricula.
It really isn't that strange.

Sexy Beast

May 10, 2008
It's just that he told me 2-3 weeks and its been two months..I initially wanted to put it in both myself and my Fiance's but now he is saying one or the other.

I really don't mind riding without plates, i just dont want the Novia to have a problem when I'm not around and its in my name..

Thanks for the comments thus far, what do you guys recommend as far as putting it both are names or one or the other?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It took us 3 weeks to get them for the bikes, and a month for a car.

It ain't Kansas here...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I bought mike bike from a dealer in Moca and it took me a year to get the matricula. I am friends witht he general manager and he said it was the government records office that took so long as they submitted the forms asap.

I used my receipt of the vehicle as a matricula in the meanwhile.

If the bike is used you need to get an original copy of the matricula from the owner, a copy of his cedula and original sales receipt "legalizado" (recorded) and go down to impuestos internos. From there they will tell you what to do, it doesn't cost a lot though nor is it a big deal.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I bought a car last August. It took two months to get a temporary number plate. The final one I received 7 weeks ago. I got it insured pronto which I carried in the car together with the original purchase documents, prepared to argue, if necessary, nobody ever stopped me or asked anything.