SD to Boca Chica, easiest way?

GringoGuyUS

May 13, 2008
I will be in SD this summer and would like to go out to Boca Chica for a day, but not overnight. What is the most expedient way to get there, and is it ok to wear beachwear on the transport to BC? I don't want to be saddled down with bags, etc.; just me and my trunks and a cap and a towel! What are some "amusements" I might find whilst on Boca Chica?

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
SD to BC

Take a gua gua from the station that's to the west of Parque Enriquillo. It was 50 pesos last year - it's good to have correct change or no bigger bill than a 100.
You can get a taxi to the station for a couple hundred pesos. They know where it is but will try to upsell you into a taxi ride all the way but that would cost 1000 pesos or more. Here are Parque Enriquillo directions I copied from someone:

Parque Enriquillo: Duarte w/ Ravelo and Jose Marti w/ Ravelo.
Just off Ave Mexico before crossing 25 de Febrero bridge to Santo Domingo Este (Villa Duarte).
Ave Mexico is about 6 blocks north of Parque Independencia and Conde.
You can also walk up from Conde/Pque Independencia on Mella past the firemen (bomberos), Caribe Express and La Sirena to Duarte st. (china town) taking north Duarte, 2 blocks you get to a big ave - that is Mexico - cross it go uphill and then you're right there - Parque Enriquillo.

BC is quiet six days a week and very busy on Sunday when everybody in SD seems to go and fill up the otherwise very empty western beach areas up to Andres.

The gua gua back leaves from the North side of the tiny parque central in BC. The first leg just takes you to a station on the main highway - you do not pay. Get on the express bus back and pay the cobrador on the second bus - 50 pesos as of last year.

There is a pier with some fishing charter boats. You can get a banana float ride or rent pedal boats or jet skis. Lots of people watching on Sundays. The water is very shallow and as calm as a lake unlike most ocean beaches. Lots of loungers for rent, bars and restaurants. Very active beach roaming vendors. Some roaming chicas, a few of them cute.

Check out "Playa Vista" on the eastern side of the beach near the Hamaca which has a blog on DR1. They can tell you anything you would ever want to know about BC.

I don't think getting to the station in SD you'd be very in style without a shirt, but otherwise you can get along in BC just fine with a towel and sufficient dinero.