Can I get duty free moving with a letter stating that I applied for prov.residency?

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Hello to All!
I have posted this question under "visa" section, but did not received much answer there, that is why I try again here.

I could not find the answer to the following question:
If I land in the DR and apply for the provisional status - submit all the papers and going through the medical exam, do I have to wait until I officially receive the status (4-6 months) to bring my household items into the DR without any duty at the customs??
Meaning; Land in DR, apply for residency, take an official letter from the immigration to the customs that I have a pending status, and receive my container in the next week with all my belongings without paying any duty???
I'd really appreciate any info on this matter - especially from those who might have done it this way.

TheHun

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
call the ambassy of the DR where you moving from and they might be able to answer your question.It's all depend on who you get on the phonne from the ambassy.
good luck.
i am starting the process my self in december2008

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Yes, I did it with the official letter/documentation showing I had applied for my provisional residency. No problems at all.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Thanks for all the great information! I'll sleep a lot better from now on, and I'm heading to the DR!!

TheHun