Things To Do-water-ice-drinks-spices

missingstthomas

Feb 1, 2008
Other than beaching/snorkeling, does anyone have any suggestions on something fun & adventurous (not hiking tho)? We really don't want to spend more than 30/pp. Are there waterfalls or something really different to see? Also, I assume you drink bottled water at the resorts... my ? is this - how safe is the ice in drinks? Are there any good drinks strictly known to those in the DR? I love to cook, and wondering if there are any good spices (or spice shops) that I can bring home to the US?
All answers are welcomed... We are leaving in 16 days -- countdown begins.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Other than beaching/snorkeling, does anyone have any suggestions on something fun & adventurous (not hiking tho)? We really don't want to spend more than 30/pp. Are there waterfalls or something really different to see? Also, I assume you drink bottled water at the resorts... my ? is this - how safe is the ice in drinks? Are there any good drinks strictly known to those in the DR? I love to cook, and wondering if there are any good spices (or spice shops) that I can bring home to the US?
Here's a thread with activities around the Sosua area.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html
Where will you be going?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

What part of the country will you be visiting? Once we establish that, suggestions may be forthcoming.

A typical DR drink...try mamajuana.

Spice-wsie...I find Dominican food pretty bland but you could buy Saizon Ranchero in a supermarket.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
No waterfalls in that area that I am familiar with.

In that area, your best options are likely excursions.

You may also want to check out the beach at Miches.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No waterfalls in that area that I am familiar with.

In that area, your best options are likely excursions.

You may also want to check out the beach at Miches.
Punta Cana is so bloody far from everything.
I've heard that Bayahibe is a worthy adventure, but would wait for PC experts to chime in with first hand experiences.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Punta Cana is so bloody far from everything.
I've heard that Bayahibe is a worthy adventure, but would wait for PC experts to chime in with first hand experiences.

I have travelled to Bayahibe from PC...while it is doable for a day trip (approx. 2 hours each way), some people dont wish to spend precious beach time on a guagua. The beaches in Bayahibe are great and you may want to consider a trip to either Saona or Catalina island from this area. (both are great for snorkelling).

missingstthomas

Feb 1, 2008
Rocky - someone mentioned your name. I read about Marie losing her home to a fire. I will be in the DR next month - and I have a TON of good girls clothing - sizes 8, 10 and 12. Can you help me reach this family do that I can donate the clothes to them? I would rather give them to a family that needs them! Thanks so much...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I wouldn't recommend Saz?n. It is used by many DR cooks but is very synthetic. The actual herbs and spices used in Dominican cuisine are preferable.
The more typical are probably:
Oregano - dried leaf AND ground - very unusual flavour, used to season beef, goat dishes.
Bija/achiote/annato - natural red colouring used in coconut-based dishes
Agrio de naranja - a bitter orange vinegar used as a condiment
Thyme, cilantro (fresh), aniseed, cinnamon and allspice are also popular for both sweet and savoury dishes.

Here's a nice, illustrated guide to Dominican spices in English:
The Dominican cook spice rack - Dominican Cooking

As well as mamajuana there are drinks like guavaberry and coconut and coffee liquers, and a whole range of natural fruit drinks like champola and morir so?ando - check the desserts and beverages section in the Dominican Cooking site - although be aware that Dominicans tend to add far more sugar than our timid foreign palates are used to dealing with. ;)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I wouldn't recommend Saz?n. It is used by many DR cooks but is very synthetic. The actual herbs and spices used in Dominican cuisine are preferable.
The more typical are probably:
Oregano - dried leaf AND ground - very unusual flavour, used to season beef, goat dishes.
Bija/achiote/annato - natural red colouring used in coconut-based dishes
Agrio de naranja - a bitter orange vinegar used as a condiment
Thyme, cilantro (fresh), aniseed, cinnamon and allspice are also popular for both sweet and savoury dishes.

Here's a nice, illustrated guide to Dominican spices in English:
The Dominican cook spice rack - Dominican Cooking

As well as mamajuana there are drinks like guavaberry and coconut and coffee liquers, and a whole range of natural fruit drinks like champola and morir so?ando - check the desserts and beverages section in the Dominican Cooking site - although be aware that Dominicans tend to add far more sugar than our timid foreign palates are used to dealing with. ;)

I agree with the excess use of sugar...and salt...for that matter. I always have to dilute the fruit juices to better suit my palate.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky - someone mentioned your name. I read about Marie losing her home to a fire. I will be in the DR next month - and I have a TON of good girls clothing - sizes 8, 10 and 12. Can you help me reach this family do that I can donate the clothes to them? I would rather give them to a family that needs them! Thanks so much...
That is such a wonderful offer and I thank you very much.
Unfortunately, Punta Cana is an entire day's drive from here, so I can only suggest that you make a new thread about your intent and hope that some of our members in that area can steer you to some deserving families in need.
Warmest regards, Marco.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree with the excess use of sugar...and salt...for that matter. I always have to dilute the fruit juices to better suit my palate.
Me too. Luckily, in tourist areas Dominicans are used to the fact that foreigners prefer their juice with less sugar.

The excess salty taste is due to too much salt combined with the use of commercial flavourings and stock cubes.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Me too. Luckily, in tourist areas Dominicans are used to the fact that foreigners prefer their juice with less sugar.

The excess salty taste is due to too much salt combined with the use of commercial flavourings and stock cubes.

Hardly a surprise how many people in the DR have high blood pressure and diabetes I have noticed. ( although I am sure worldwide the numbers are increasing as so many people have such poor eating habits).