Real Estate Agents' Dirty Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Here's what happened to our friends in Costambar .....

On Monday Edenorte cut off the electricity in their house - they had moved in 3 weeks ago & their neice, husband & baby had just arrived for a holiday.

It turns out that there was a RD$6,000 unpaid bill the real estate agent had "held back" when telling them the bills were up to date. They did ask the question & ask for proof, but the bill concerned was the agents' bill from when the house was unoccupied.

It's Thursday now & they still have no electric.

I won't name the agent but she's the only one with an office in Costambar .... on C. Central

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Holiday rental? Makes things difficult for the renter.

Contact the Costambar Homeowners Association to see if they can help with temp. rental and work with, or not, the agent.

Anyone have the Association number?

Good luck, Ringo

J

John Evans

i meant when you buy a property you also get a lawyer to check everything dont you.....

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The agent agreed to pay the bill - personally I'd sue her @$$ off.

It's not a holiday rental, they have lived here for over a year, it's the family who are visiting on holiday.

I won't post the agents' details - been told off for that before by the moderators lol - her office is next to APC in Costambar ........ oops ;-)

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
that is amazing, i have bought several places through her and had no issues what so ever. my house just purchased a few months ago showed a small bill....she made sure it was cleared up before i closed. hooked up power and have had no issues to date.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ffritz. My first concern is the baby. I take it that the baby and family now have acceptable living conditions.

The HOA may be of some help. My impression is that they are working hard at making Costambar a good place to live and to holiday.

As for exposing people or a business that are not up front/honest. State the facts, all the facts with information that can be varified by others via legal documents on file or by named and knowned persons that will hold up in a court of law.

I have treads that I have named names and a lot more. I feel that it was MY responsibility and MY legal obligations when doing so. I worked hard at making sure that I stated facts and could back them up.

Good luck, Ringo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The agent agreed to pay the bill - personally I'd sue her @$$ off.

It's not a holiday rental, they have lived here for over a year, it's the family who are visiting on holiday.

I won't post the agents' details - been told off for that before by the moderators lol - her office is next to APC in Costambar ........ oops ;-)

Good luck with the law suit here :)

You should always ask to see the physical copies of the bills before renting.

Just like many parts of the world, you will find good and bad agents, sad but true.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Here's what happened to our friends in Costambar .....

On Monday Edenorte cut off the electricity in their house - they had moved in 3 weeks ago & their neice, husband & baby had just arrived for a holiday.

It turns out that there was a RD$6,000 unpaid bill the real estate agent had "held back" when telling them the bills were up to date. They did ask the question & ask for proof, but the bill concerned was the agents' bill from when the house was unoccupied.

It's Thursday now & they still have no electric.

I won't name the agent but she's the only one with an office in Costambar .... on C. Central

I'm not sure if your friends are renting or have bought the place. Either way, just pay the bill. Your looking at 200 bucks. If that's all they get scr*wd out of in this country they are lucky. If it's rent, just take it off the rental.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The bill has been paid, but as is the way in the DR Edenorte didn't turn up when they said they would & Thursday was a holiday so hopefully today (Friday) they will have power.
The family with the baby have rented a car & gone on a tour to Samana for a few days.
You're right Robert about the bills, personally I'd get the contract number, go to the Edenorte offices & check the state of the bills.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It appears the realtor paid the bill, correct? Did they give a reason why they paid it and why it took so long?

Also, word to the wise, find a local electrician to connect the power to your house or make repairs in the neighborhood if needed. I have done this approximately 10 times in my 2 years here in Santiago. Most of the time it is because a power line shorts and breaks and we would rather not wait for Edenorte to get around to fixing it. Believe it or not I called once because of a broken power line and they took almost 4 weeks to respond. Also, they typical price to connect power is RD350 to 500.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Chris - the way I've been told it by the family involved, who are very good friends, the bill was incurred whilst the property was in the agents' care & the bills were the agents' responsibility. She gave them an undertaking that all was well when they took possession. Maybe they were a touch naive, but they didn't deserve almost a week without power because of this agents' [insert your own adjective here]

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
since this is a public forum perhaps she could be encouraged to come here and defend herself and maybe buy a little advertising space....

J

John Evans

you are relating second hand information- thats a recipe for disaster

tiameche

May 26, 2008
reply from the realtor involved

As I am the realtor involved in this thread, please allow me tell you my part of the story.

When the buyers bought their property at the time of closing there was only one Edenorte bill that we knew about. This bill was duly paid by the vendors. However only two days before the closing, the tenant moved out and we did not have the final bill at closing for his final share of the electricity.

When the buyers presented me this new bill, I brought it to the vendors and instructed them to pay their share of this bill up to the date of closing and they told me they would contact the tenant, who consequently refused to pay but never was I worried that the vendors would not honour their part of the agreement as they are very upstanding citizens. The result however was that because of the argument with the tenant, the bill was not yet paid and Edenorte cut the power.

When the buyers informed me of this problem I was in Santo Domingo and my assistant and I made no less than six calls to the vendors, trying to solve this problem. We acted as intermediaries to this problem and finally managed to have it resolved by having the deposit with Edenorte that the vendors still had in their name, signed over to the buyers. Consequently, the buyers had the power registered to their name.

As you can appreciate, all this however took a while. You might not be aware that these things do not work like they do in the US, nor in Europe, and everything takes a lot longer to resolve here - especially when dealing with Edenorte.

Let me assure you that there were no "dirty tricks" involved in this sale and the suggestion there might be is inaccurate and insulting. I do not find your reference to me and my legal company as being the "only realtor that has an office in Costambar" to be subtle, nor amusing. I do have an office, and run a legal company. I pay staff and taxes and am a responsible business owner with a well-known address where I work most days and some nights and where I am always available to offer assistance to my clients. Further more
I find the fact that you state that I was keeping bills from my clients ludicrous, what possible benefit would I have from doing such a thing?

In my line of business there is almost never a simple deal. As you are dealing with buyers, vendors, tenants and Edenorte you are talking about life in the D.R. I find it odd that this complaint has found its way to Dr1.com! As having talked to the buyers, they were completely unaware that anyone had posted these accusations and they are not blaming me, or my company, for anything that has occurred.

I suggest that the next time you use this forum you get your facts straight before posting. To my friend and client who posted, thanks for the thumbs up girl ! I owe you one!
Now if you don?t mind, I have to get back to work.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
I'm really glad the realtor involved was able to post her side of this story. I can tell you from personal experience that this scenario is not at all unusual (at least here in PoP). I have considered bringing my blue blanky and extra food and water for the many hours I have spent in Edenorte trying to get invoices from previous tenants sorted out when I have taken over rental of apartments here.

I've learned a lesson and get my own counter installed when I move into a new place, with my name on it so that I don't have similar problems anymore.

I've learned that nothing is that clear-cut here and there are lots of shades of grey in any negotiation and I admit, I was a bit upset at this poster's characterization of this being a 'dirty trick' and therefore being willing to slander this realtor without being one of the parties directly involved.

Because I have lived in Costambar as well, I know this realtor very well and know her to be above reproach and is never tiring in her efforts to provide the best service possible to her clientele. I know her to be well-respected and have always known her to do the right thing the right way, no matter what it costs her as far as time and personal involvement.

She is a committed, responsible business owner and to suggest that she is up to 'dirty tricks' is really carrying things too far - especially when I read her side of the story, nodding my head in understanding and can see why the best efforts can oftentimes go badly awry is our paradise home.

I suggest she is owed an apology.

cheers,

tiameche

May 26, 2008
one more thing

it is stated in several posts on his thread that the house was in my care before selling it. Wrong again, this house was rented by the owner himself directly to the tenant and as such I was not able to monitor any misconduct of the tenant or was able to hold any supervision other than via the owner/vendor.
When the house was sold I went out of my way to make sure the tenant moved out which he was very reluctant to do and he also stiffed the owner for one month rent which they had to swollow in order to get the tenant out of their home.
I am not going to read or write any more to this thread, as I have posted my reply. Any body that wants to talk to me knows where to find me or can email me direct.
Donna, you are a true friend!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Its good to see all sides of the story. This is a helpful case study for new arrivals to see what can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.