Hotel Colonial

eltigre

Mar 23, 2008
Has anyone seen the new section of Hotel Colonial? If so could you give me an idea of the level of comfort, cleanliness? Also how is that area in terms of safety?

thank you

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

I believe the OP is talking about the "other" Hotel Colonial...in Santiago. I haven't seen the newest section, but the two other sections are barely "1 star"...and the neighborhood is pretty sketchy...for about $60 you can stay at Aloha Sol, Matum, Platino, or the new Hotel Century Plaza...all worth at least twice the price of the Colonial, IMO...

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
I've stayed in the new building. It's clean and nice... it better be, seeing as it was brand new. I prefer the location of Aloha Sol, so I'd go that route. The neighborhood around Colonial may not be as nice as some other areas, but I think it's fine. Describing something as sketchy or seedy is pretty subjective, I suppose it all depends on what you are used to. With that said, if given a choice, I'd rather a better location.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You guys talk about "different" neighborhoods, but both the Aloha Sol and Colonial are downtown and are no more than 500m apart as the crow flies.

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
the colonial is worth the price if the folks around the area are seedy i still think the hotel is worth the price. and i think the management also try to please the clantal Lazaro and victor are good people

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You guys talk about "different" neighborhoods, but both the Aloha Sol and Colonial are downtown and are no more than 500m apart as the crow flies.

Both hotels are in the same area, but the colonial is next to a couple of hotels that charge 100 pesos and less a night, catering to the laborers in Santiago, also Hotel Lima is right on the corner and their disco is where the taxi guys look for prostitutes and eat pollo dinners for 80 pesos in the chinese restaurant. Further up on Cucurrullo is a barrio where hard tigres hang out in the street and on the other end there's a couple of very low end bars with a billar. And we know who hangs out in billars, hahahaha.

p.s. I've read the above from Lonely Planet:)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
IMO, from la 30 de Marzo up to the monument between Las Carreras to Cal del Sol is all downtown and more or less safe. Sure, there is a poorer area behind the Hotel to Carreras, but I have walked this whole are and it is no problem.

Also, RD80 is a normal price for a meal here and I eat at places like this all of the time and as far as Tigres go, this place is no worse that El Ejido where I used to live and visit almost weekly. It's so "bad" there that you can go walking around by youself late at night no problem, young single women and old ladies included. ie I doubt the police take lightly to tigueres messing up the "tourist" section of Santiago.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The Aloha Sol is directly on a major street, with banks and other upscale businesses across the street and all around it. Whether they are 500 meters or 5000 meters apart, the two areas are VERY different.

If you are on a very limited budget, The Colonial may be for you, but it is located in an area that feels like a bad neighborhood and the as I said, the two original buildings are NOT very nice...and the price reflects it...someone expecting much more for $25 a night is kidding themselves...but from what I understand the new building is quite a bit more expensive...closer in price to the other hotels I mentioned...if you're going to pay that, why would you choose the Colonial??

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I wouldn't take anything Lonely Planet has to say to heart.

Their book on Colombia was written by a guy who never visited the country, and the company's response to this revelation was, "Well, the information in the book is accurate".

I purchased it before this notification and noticed that they have no information on places to eat and hotels to stay in, so for all intent and purposes it was useless. Now I know why.

Then again, I have a friend who travels frequently to Colombia, has family there and they are equally as useless.

Whenever I ask them any questions about accommodations and other travel-related stuff, they also don't know.

This is when you realize what a valuable source of information DR1 is.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Area around Hotel Colonial.
For all of you "newbies" and that means everyone on this board, except me: the area around the Hotel Colonial, is not a bad area. In fact, some of Santiago's finest families live just a block away (or rather "lived" in some cases). I am talking 'top of the line' families. I am talking about the best of the best.
Like many areas, that fringe along 30 de Marzo catered to baseball players seeking low cost housing during the season and salesmen trying to reduce expenses. The corner place, across from the old Texaco station called "El Bor?nquen" was run by "chinos" as a hot bed hotel...
Today the area caters to a middle class demographic. You can eat cheap, you can "get it on" if you are in the mood. I doubt that there are many "tigueres" in the area...

For me, the hotel offers the best buy for the buck. Like Super 8, or Days Inn, you get what you pay for...

HB

Safety is not an issue in that area.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I wouldn't take anything Lonely Planet has to say to heart.

Their book on Colombia was written by a guy who never visited the country, and the company's response to this revelation was, "Well, the information in the book is accurate".

I purchased it before this notification and noticed that they have no information on places to eat and hotels to stay in, so for all intent and purposes it was useless. Now I know why.

Then again, I have a friend who travels frequently to Colombia, has family there and they are equally as useless.

Whenever I ask them any questions about accommodations and other travel-related stuff, they also don't know.

This is when you realize what a valuable source of information DR1 is.

I was joking about the "Lonely Planet" part, I forgot to add the ;);).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I would like to add that I am not in any form or fashion trying to knock the Hotel Colonial, Lazarus, Victor and his father are nice individuals and great Hosts. You get what you pay for and RD500 a night is great for budget travelers. I was pointing out what you will see when you exit the Colonial in comparison to what you will see when you exit the Aloha Sol at night, no more no less. Tourists traveling with their families may not want to see certain things.

Cheers,

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
RE: Area around Hotel Colonial.
For all of you "newbies" and that means everyone on this board, except me: the area around the Hotel Colonial, is not a bad area. In fact, some of Santiago's finest families live just a block away (or rather "lived" in some cases). I am talking 'top of the line' families. I am talking about the best of the best.
Like many areas, that fringe along 30 de Marzo catered to baseball players seeking low cost housing during the season and salesmen trying to reduce expenses. The corner place, across from the old Texaco station called "El Bor?nquen" was run by "chinos" as a hot bed hotel...
Today the area caters to a middle class demographic. You can eat cheap, you can "get it on" if you are in the mood. I doubt that there are many "tigueres" in the area...

For me, the hotel offers the best buy for the buck. Like Super 8, or Days Inn, you get what you pay for...

HB

Safety is not an issue in that area.

Thanks Luis