Puerto Plata horseback riding & safaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauleuph

May 28, 2008
Hi folks. The wife & I are going to Puerto Plata next week. Any recommendations on horseback riding? Better to do something on the beach (is that allowed?) or the mountains? My wife is having some back issues, so we do need to take it easy.

Also, which is better, Monster Truck Safaris or Outback Safaris?

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hi folks. The wife & I are going to Puerto Plata next week. Any recommendations on horseback riding? Better to do something on the beach (is that allowed?) or the mountains? My wife is having some back issues, so we do need to take it easy.

I know a really nice ranch that does horseback riding tours through the mountains as well as the beach (whichever you prefer). I've done the mountains and it's really beautiful. The horses are very well taken care of (all ranches aren't the same) and the owner speaks English. PM me for more details. As for the Monster Truck or Outback Safari, I've never done either of them but they always seem to be full so I'd guess they are both very popular. If you really want to know the difference between the two, I can easily find that info. out for you too. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Horseback riding

Try Sea Horse Ranch Dominican Republic Horseback Riding - Sea Horse Ranch Equestrian Center. It has been several years since I did the rides but I have done both the beach and mountain rides and they were great.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Welcome to DR1

Hi there,
Not wishing to be a party pooper but be very careful with your wifes back "issues". If, anything should happen accidentwise, and it happens to even the best of riders, your wife will not be covered under her travel insurance because it is a pre-existing complaint. Medical bills in the DR can be pretty high when you are footing the bill yourself.
However, if it is not too much of an issue and you still want to go riding the best ranch in Puerto Plata by far is Rancho Lorilar which is Sabana Grande - a couple of miles from Playa Dorada towards Puerto Plata.
It is run by a Canadian lady who treats the animals as well as anything we are used to in our own countries. There are around 85 - 90 horses and there is something to suit every shape, size and ability.
One problem - horseriding was banned from the beaches in POP a few years back so beach rides are out I am afraid unless you go further afield. Their trips are into the mountains. pm me if you are interested.
Make sure you don't buy anything on the beach - they will very probably take you to an unlicenced "ranch" where the condition of the horses and the tour will be very sadly lacking!
I used to sell both the Monsters and Outback - personally, I prefer the Outback - great guides,great day,good organisation. Very popular.
Monsters are good, but you are very high off the ground and you tend to lose a bit of the "feel" of the place. IMHO.
If you were just choosing one - Outback, definitely!
I hope this has helped.......
Have a wonderful holiday, and I say it again and again - I am jealous!!
:tired:

Rio

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com

I've done the Outback Safari and it's a fun experience. They offer a half-day and full-day excursion - the full day is much better! The best of the Outback is the guides - they really make it enjoyable! And be prepared to drink because it's the first thing you'll be offered when you board their truck (it's included with the price!)

Robin

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Lorilar Ranch is just outside of Playa Dorada. they have reps in almost all the hotels. I recommend them as having a good tour, decent pricing and they take good care of their horses!!!

Either Monster Truck or Outback will work for you. Difference is the size of the truck but basically similar tours.

DavidREdwards

Oct 10, 2009
Start your own thread if you want to make a recommendation (in your own words) but don't dredge up ancient threads and resurrect them for no reason.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.