Advice sought!

Johnno Badger

May 30, 2008
Hey,

I am heading to DR on 8th June and was wandering if someone could answer a few questions me and my girlfriend have:

1. In hotels, clearly the power is different to the UK as it is 110v. Do appliances like hair dryers and hair straighteners work?

2. What is the best currency to bring? We have had advice to use DR Pesos as well as advice to use $US?

Thanks

Johnno :ninja:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bring a converter for your appliances. Current is 110v as in USA. Also, you will need an adapter for the US-style plugs.

Best to bring US$ and cash them into RD$ for local purchases.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hey,

I am heading to DR on 8th June and was wandering if someone could answer a few questions me and my girlfriend have:

1. In hotels, clearly the power is different to the UK as it is 110v. Do appliances like hair dryers and hair straighteners work?

2. What is the best currency to bring? We have had advice to use DR Pesos as well as advice to use $US?

Thanks

Step up/ step down 110/240v convertors are quite pricey and heavy in my experience. You can buy cheap ones that are good for radios but anything with a motor and they just blow. You are better off looking for dual voltage appliances (travel worldwide) that you can switch over and use with an
adaptor plug. Most hotels supply hairdryers in the room -worth checking......

Rio

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hair straighteners which are 220 won't work, nor will 220 v hairdryers. Some hotels have hairdryers and you can buy dual voltage straighteners from Boots for around 30 pounds. Some hotels but not all will have dryers.

But hey it is not here so why not go frizzy for a week or so and not bother with either!!!

Matilda

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
or go to a dominican salon and pay 200-300 pesos and have them staighten your hair out for you.....but get a picture of yourself in those big curlers....lol

Johnno Badger

May 30, 2008
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have now ordered a set of dual voltage straighteners for my girlfriend.

I must point out however that my hair is too short for the curlers but I'll pass the tip on to the better half!! :-D

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Have a great holiday - welcome to DR1 by the way - let us know how it went when you get back?

Rio

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have now ordered a set of dual voltage straighteners for my girlfriend.

I must point out however that my hair is too short for the curlers but I'll pass the tip on to the better half!! :-D

We are originally from the UK and have lived here virtually 2 years now.. may I ask where you are from in UK and where in DR you are visiting? Also welcome to DR1.com

Denise L Brennan

Jul 18, 2007
Most of the Hotels have hair dryers in the rooms - but travel hairdriers and staighteners with multi choice voltage will work.
Take dollars - many prices , especially in the south and east are in dollars-and change is often given in dr pesos - at the shop's own exchange rate!! So take many different denominations of dollars as well as the DR peso - although the exchange rate at the cash machines ther is far better that the travel agents in the UK - the rate last week was 64 pesos to the pound!! Hotel shops (in Iberostar hotels) for instance will give change in whichever currency is used.

I have been to the DR many times -North, South and East and love it - my daughter went there to work in December - and we too are going there on 8th June!!
Enjoy it.

Hey,

Thanks