Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default UK Chandaliers - 210v or 110v or both

I'm thinking about purchasing some chandeliers from Ikea in the UK and then having them shipped, among other things, to the DR.

Can anybody confirm whether these lights will work in the DR?

Does the DR use both 210v and 110v?

Thanks in advance!

Tish

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tish View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing some chandeliers from Ikea in the UK and then having them shipped, among other things, to the DR.

Thanks in advance!

Tish
    Nope - DR is 110v - most of the time......lol

You need to speak to a sparky in the UK to see if and how to convert - for appliances we have to use a voltage convertor - not sure for light fittings.

Rio

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tish View Post

Thanks in advance!

Tish
    It is not the chandeler that matters. It is the light bulb. Check and see if the socket(s) will take 110V in the watts that you desire.

Regards, Ringo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Ringo said the voltage is of no importance with regard the chandalier.
    the bulbs or lamps whatever you prefer need to be 110v for DR if you leave the 240v UK ones they will work no problem only much reduced brightness.
    If you have a plug fitted already you will need to remove it and depending on how you want to install it you might need to change to the two pin US variety.

Skippy1

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really want to do this, tish? As they are not family heirlooms why not buy here?

Are they the sort which could get broken in transit, handling, unloading etc because if they are.............yep . Could you be at risk of import dues you currently haven't heard of? Why put yourself through unnecessary hassle when IKEA in Santo Domingo is due to open next year?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy1 View Post
    Like Ringo said the voltage is of no importance with regard the chandalier.
    the bulbs or lamps whatever you prefer need to be 110v for DR if you leave the 240v UK ones they will work no problem only much reduced brightness.
    If you have a plug fitted already you will need to remove it and depending on how you want to install it you might need to change to the two pin US variety.

Skippy1
    Is a 60 watt bulb brighter/less bright in 110/120 VAC compaired to 220/240 VAC?

Most chandelers are hard wired into to ceiling box with no plug needed. Table and desk lamps that plug in would need to be changed. This is an easy process but you might want to bring the new plug with you instead of looking for them.

Regards, Ring

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Is a 60 watt bulb brighter/less bright in 110/120 VAC compaired to 220/240 VAC?

Most chandelers are hard wired into to ceiling box with no plug needed. Table and desk lamps that plug in would need to be changed. This is an easy process but you might want to bring the new plug with you instead of looking for them.

Regards, Ring
    A 60w 110v bulb is the same brightness as a 60w 240v bulb but swap the voltages and you get a different effect.

Some chandeliers do have a plug to assist in removal for cleaning it really depends on the size. some even have a retracting lead that allows them to be lowered to floor level without disconnect. However I am not sure the OP is talking about these.....!

Skippy1

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy1 View Post
    A 60w 110v bulb is the same brightness as a 60w 240v bulb but swap the voltages and you get a different effect.

Some chandeliers do have a plug to assist in removal for cleaning it really depends on the size. some even have a retracting lead that allows them to be lowered to floor level without disconnect. However I am not sure the OP is talking about these.....!

Skippy1
    I think that we have worked out the voltage and possible installations.

You CAN find most items that you want if you a willing compromise. If not... shipping should not be a problem IF the item is packed and labled properly. I have small boxes/items FedXed all the time and have never had a problem. I had one item over 150 lbs and that was not a problem.

Cost of shipping and customs should be considered as necessary. It depends on the person.

Regards, Ringo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget the wattage/voltage etc - the REAL question is are the bulbs screw or bayonet fittings - if they're bayonet forget it as i've only seen screw-type bulbs here

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    Forget the wattage/voltage etc - the REAL question is are the bulbs screw or bayonet fittings - if they're bayonet forget it as i've only seen screw-type bulbs here
    You are a little late and you are not correct.

Ringo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast