We return to Las Terrenas next month-First of many questions!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hola, dear DR1 forum!

As you may recall, my husband and I purchased a small house in Las Terrenas and we get to spend 8 days there July 29-Aug 6- hurray!

Here are just the first of several questions and I thank you in advance for your assistance!

1. Can anyone recomend an interior house painter and give me an average cost--Do painters charge by the hour or by the job?

2. We need someone to build/create an L-shaped sofa out of concrete for the living area--Any ideas again on who and how much?

3. Can basic furniture (wicker chairs, tables, etc) be purchased in Las Terrenas or will we need to travel to larger towns for these?

4. We plan to bring small appliances like blender, toaster and juicer from the US-- Any other items you'd recommend we buy in the states instead of LT?

Thank you again!
Susan

Mar 27, 2006
stuff to bring

Hi,
I would recommend you bring a suitable sized coffee pot, an electric fry pan, possibly an iron, a collapsible padded cooler and a fan if you can buy this stuff cheap enough and pack it properly for the flight.

davidleemac58

Nov 7, 2007
What about wireless telephones for the house.... I found out are incredibly expensive there...........:cheeky::cheeky:

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Hi Susan:

It sounds like you are going to need lots of advice. I am sure there
will be lots of people around that can help you look for the people you
need; however, don't deal with anyone that is not recommended. Unfortunatly, people that do good quality work around here are hard to find.

Here you pay by the job and don't pay until the job is complete. Don't give them any money up front. Buy the materials yourself.

Unless you already have friends here that can help you out, I would suggest
you go to "Mi Amor" restaurant (run by Kelly from Canada) at lunch time. There are lots of English speaking people that hang out there and they will
be glad to help you find what you need.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around.

Juniper

Lafcadio

Jun 5, 2006
Alfredo Castillo for painting

Ask around for "El Mello" (the spelling may be off). It means the twin. He is Alfredo Castillo, a creative artist who does hoese painting. He is reasonable and honest.

Bests

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
These are just the kind of responses I was hoping to get--thank you!

We will definitely go to Mi Amor and try to hook up with some English-speaking folks- (I'm taking intensive Spanish classes in the fall)- I've always believed it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know....like finding "El Gemelo"! :)

I'd still appreciate a "ballpark" figure to have a concrete "couch" made--
$2000 RD? $5000?

thanks again-
Susan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can only address #3: For good rattan furniture there are two good places. (1) In Santiago there is Artesan?a Rattan, which belongs to the Sang family. It is located on Rafael Vidal Street, near Duarte (the road to Moca). It is in the phone book.

(2) This is Mimbre y Rattan Navarrete, located in the town of Navarrete, just past the Linda factory on the left side as you head west. This is owned by Tito Bueno and his wife. (If you can't find it, just ask anyone in the area around the Linda Factory "Where does Tito live?

These are two places that will give you good quality furniture and service.

There is a third alternative. I have seen fiberglass furniture that "looks" like rattan and had a guarantee of ten years. You can wash it down with a hose. I don't know where it is least expensive.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can only address #3: For good rattan furniture there are two good places. (1) In Santiago there is Artesan?a Rattan, which belongs to the Sang family. It is located on Rafael Vidal Street, near Duarte (the road to Moca). It is in the phone book.

(2) This is Mimbre y Rattan Navarrete, located in the town of Navarrete, just past the Linda factory on the left side as you head west. This is owned by Tito Bueno and his wife. (If you can't find it, just ask anyone in the area around the Linda Factory "Where does Tito live?

These are two places that will give you good quality furniture and service.

There is a third alternative. I have seen fiberglass furniture that "looks" like rattan and had a guarantee of ten years. You can wash it down with a hose. I don't know where it is least expensive.

HB

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks, HB--- We have limited time when we return in August to furnish our little house, so these tips are very helpful!
Susan

pixelsketch

Mar 1, 2007
If you are still looking for house painters, I have two very close friends who do house painting in Las Terrenas. Very trustworthy, and from what I've seen they do good work. Let me know if you want their phone number, one of them speaks some English.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
If you are still looking for house painters, I have two very close friends who do house painting in Las Terrenas. Very trustworthy, and from what I've seen they do good work. Let me know if you want their phone number, one of them speaks some English.

Yes---I would love their names and phone number (and I'm sorry it took me a while to respond!) You may post here or send me a PM--

Thanks so much!
Susan