Arrests in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
let me put a twist on this. i've often heard that the haitian working girls charge less money and "do more". that being said less and less dominicanas come out at night to make money because of the number of haitian women. coupled with the dumb gringos that go for the "cheap ones", i could see this coming since last year.....
so now the haitian girls will be scared away and the dominicanas can come back to sosua and charge 2500 pesos...:ermm:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
The last couple of disputes I overheard, the girls were asking for $3000 and they were hatian. Apparently, you guys are paying what is demanded without much argument and no prior negotiation, so the girls just keep trying for more. Makes no sense to me.

Mar 2, 2008
Kyle,

You present a very interesting perspective. Do you think the elimination of competition is the real reason, part of the reason, or is this really about DR immigration policy and politics?

Perhaps it is impossible to know with any amount of certainty, but it is interesting, none the less.

Mar 2, 2008
Campesina,
With all due respect, money is just paper, but sex is sex. To many men, this isn't about business, it is something much more primal. The cost/benefit ratio is among the the last things being considered in these situations.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sounds like a good thing to me.
I'm tired of hearing about guys getting pick pocketed.
Hadn't heard about the drugged thing yet, but if that's happening too, I'm pleased to hear that the cops are doing something about it.
Crime can't be eliminated, but controlling it to keep it down is a good thing, IMHO.
PS: They mentioned that some of the detainees were Haitian, but not all of them.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Does anyone beleive there is a benefit to having this sex trade in Sosua?
Leaving asside moral issues, health issues, legal issues, abuse issues, crime, and the whole filthy stink of the damned thing -- would anyone agree that the revenue created by the Mongers is of value to the community of Sosua?
I beleive that the AI ers do not contribute a vast amount of revenue to the local economy and that the tourists / expats who eat, drink and live in the community do. I would also say that a lot of these ex-pats / tourists are here if not primarily, then certainly partially because of the hookers.
I honestly did not know of Sosua's reputation before I arrived. I must say that it did not deter me from staying for a few years!

My two cents and OPINION!!!!!

Tourism would fall BIG TIME if prostitution were not legal!!!!!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2008
I think Rocky has as good a handle on that question as anyone, and I would defer to his opinion.
However, in my opinion, with the right balance of control, and within an otherwise heakthy economy, the putas don't hurt anything, and the revenue stream there are a part of is a positive economic influence in Sosua.

Additionally, many of the working girls have no alternative. Without that income, they would simply be castoff, more single mothers without jobs and without the means to feed their children.

It may be a seemy business, but most of the working girls are honest, and they apparently give good value for the money.

Sep 19, 2005
I wonder how they charge them with prostitution , when it is supposedly legal?

only pimping was illegal from what I had thought.

I bet they probably just removed the girls who were'nt paying the "police tax"

hey DINGBAT.....

so you think they should do away with all the hotels...and it would be a good thing for Sosua huh??

expats dont use hotels...right?, leave sosua for only the people that live there???

come on......

lets here from the business people......THAT SOUND GOOD????

get rid of the tourist- non resident???

yeah the problem with the tourist towns is those damm tourists ha ha ha

DINGBAT and AZB should get together and start a motion to get rid of tourists all over the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bad bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
PS: They mentioned that some of the detainees were Haitian, but not all of them.

The source material for the Dominican Today article was Listin Diario which says 'Asimismo, se conoci? que entre las mujeres detenidas hay de nacionalidad haitiana, pero que la mayor?a procede de distintos pueblos de Rep?blica Dominicana' (the majority were Dominicanas)

La República - La Polic?*a Tur?*stica apresó en Sosúa a 30 mujeres acusa de prostitución y asedio a turistas

By the time you get to El Nuevo Diario, all 30 are Haitian
Arrestan 30 haitianas ejerc?*an prostitución en Sosúa

Puerto Plata Digital doesn't give a nationality
Puerto Plata Digital

So whether this is about eliminating competition or simply being seen to be doing a clean up............who knows?

J

John Evans

I think reformed prostitute customers must be like reformed smokers....they seem to be the ones most bothered by it.The drugging and robbing bit bothers me more

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The last couple of disputes I overheard, the girls were asking for $3000 and they were hatian. Apparently, you guys are paying what is demanded without much argument and no prior negotiation, so the girls just keep trying for more. Makes no sense to me.

I had a chat with one just recently and she explained me that she'd make between 200 to 3000 Pesos (?!). But that she sometimes has done it for 100 Pesos!! Because she has to feed her kid. She was a stunning looking young Haitiana. I did not ask but just could not help to wonder what her limits could be as to sanitary precautions if she'd "do it" for $2.99 a pop. :ermm:

Like most times, both parties involved in those deals are completely crazy. Now a Haitian girl with no education at all and strong believes in the protectives and healing powers of some macumba BS... can be half way excused... but the Gringuitos falling for these adventures... :tired:

Anyway, so now the clean up of Sosua is boiling down to shaking up a couple of hookers... swell. So there won't be any shootings anymore, since that's been taken care of, huh? :cheeky:

... J-D.

Sep 19, 2005
laurapasinifan, you ever try a hooker in Sosua?
give it a whirl - you never know where it may take you....:eek:

no, not yet.........are they much different than the ones from another town

but I regretfully have to admit, I seldom take advice from ....dingbats

bad ( but not that bad ) bob

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The chicas are charging what they charge because the european tourists, who get many more pesos per euro exchanged than americans per dollar, can afford to give them more pesos per "transaction".

So when some of these chicas, even some haitians, run into certain americans who want to haggle down their initial asking price they are bothered by their apparent stinginess-which isn't stinginess at all. The guys are just trying to strike a deal given the limitations of their currency when compared to the euro.

I have not heard that tourists are being drugged in Sosua-maybe the press is just adding this to stir the pot to make it seem that the police are reacting to an actual crisis. Or maybe its' the police themselves that are saying this.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Many of those hard core Haitian whores quite frankly are eyesores to the Canadian and American ex-pats and are considered a blight. The folks living up there despise the fact that prostitution is the first thing that pops into peoples heads when you hear "Sosua"!

Haiti has the highest level of AIDS in the western world. Then add in risk occupations such as hooking, and better chance than not she has the bug.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
I agree with you Dingbat
I don't understand why pay for something you could get for free? It's just bad for the community, especially for family with children. I don't think that they contribute to the community and any way- in fact it just makes the Dominican women look bad. I'm totally against it. Why does it have to be so public? Why not just hide somewhere and to the stuff in private.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i wouldn't agree that the putas are just trying to feed their kids. some are, but most spend most of the money they make on clothes (there seems to be a million little tiendas in Sosua selling clothes), latest model cell-phones, pasolas, salons...

Status
Not open for further replies.