Employment Prospects in Punta Cana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-A

Jun 14, 2008
For those that live/are familiar with the Punta Cana area, what kind of employment opportunities are there? Is there an abundance of jobs available? Or on the flip side, is there an abundance of people looking for jobs with few available? What type of employee seems to be in high demand?

As for myself, I am interested in employment here as I am seriously considering a permanent move to this area within the year. Now before I get the usual comments in response ;) - yes I have done my research (lots and lots of DR1 lurking hours spent!), yes I have lived in the DR off of AI's, yes I realize I will be starting from the bottom of the chain and working my way up socially and at work, yes I realize I will be making much less than I would be at home, and no I am not moving for a man :cheeky:. The reason I am looking at Punta Cana specifically is because through my south coast travels I have enjoyed this area the most, I am familiar with it and can comfortably get around; and I do have friends there who I can count on if needed.

Getting back on track here, what is the likelihood that I would be able to find a decent job with my background and experience? I am a female in my mid twenties, fluent in English with very strong communication and written skills. At this point I know basic Spanish, but am looking to take a full immersion Spanish course in the DR for a few months to hopefully get myself up to an intermediate level (if possible in that time frame) before I settle down and look for a job. Being Canadian I have taken French in elementary and high school, and with some refreshers would be able to get my French skills back up to conversational with the ability to read and write at the same level. I have an extensive background in customer service as well as in a supervisory sales role in the retail sector (primarily in the skin care and cosmetics industry). I have been part of a management team that successfully ran a horse boarding and lesson stable for 40 horses (from trail horses to imported warmbloods and everything in between). I'm very adept with computers - Windows XP and Vista, Word/Excel/Access/PowerPoint/MSPublisher, as well as Point of Sale/Cash Register systems (and type approx. 65wpm). I've also had experience in reception - handling phone inquiries, mail, filing, etc. I am a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual - I enjoy going "above and beyond" for my employers and clients. Very detail-oriented, organized and driven with a passion for my work and my clients' satisfaction. (Sorry if this sounds like I am "tooting my own horn"!)

With that said, what are my chances of finding a decent job in this area? Decent to me is something that can cover my living expenses (which will be modest due to my situation), while I get my feet on the ground.

Many thanks in advance to those who can offer their advice :)

Nildia164

Jan 19, 2009
Well hello my name is Nicky and I think I am in the same boat as you I am looking for work in the Dominican Republic and I hope to be successful. I lost my job due to the economy crisis in New York so I came to live in my apartment in DR. This way I have no bills behind me. There are a lot of company hiring in the Zona Franca you might want to look there. But if you here of anything in Punta Cana pm me

Last edited by a moderator:

Nataliez

Aug 29, 2010
I am only 19 years old and want to start my life in punta cana!
i have been there many times in the last year and love everything about it. I need some help from you guys to know what i can do down there! can you help me and teach me how?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am only 19 years old and want to start my life in punta cana!
i have been there many times in the last year and love everything about it. I need some help from you guys to know what i can do down there! can you help me and teach me how?

Out of the three of you I think you are in the best shape for seeking employment here. Decide what you want to do, look for the better paid jobs that foreigners tend to get, then get yourself away onto some training or education that will open doors for you in a few years when you can come prepared.

Reading the OPs thread I don't think you have done your research or you would know that employment oportunities are almost no existant here. With your background, all I could see is you doing is dotting around call centres for years in the hope you bump into someone who will open up a door into a real job for you.
If you have no ties to the country then it is more realistic to keep it as a vacation venue, it isn't a place to start a career unless you have a specialized skill in demand. At the moment we have sand blasters and web designers in demand that will pay reasonable money, If you have a degree and Tefl certificate with several years experience behind you then you could probably land a teaching job, not alot to work with unfortunately.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Out of the three of you I think you are in the best shape for seeking employment here. Decide what you want to do, look for the better paid jobs that foreigners tend to get, then get yourself away onto some training or education that will open doors for you in a few years when you can come prepared.

Reading the OPs thread I don't think you have done your research or you would know that employment oportunities are almost no existant here. With your background, all I could see is you doing is dotting around call centres for years in the hope you bump into someone who will open up a door into a real job for you.
If you have no ties to the country then it is more realistic to keep it as a vacation venue, it isn't a place to start a career unless you have a specialized skill in demand. At the moment we have sand blasters and web designers in demand that will pay reasonable money, If you have a degree and Tefl certificate with several years experience behind you then you could probably land a teaching job, not alot to work with unfortunately.

Agreed. At 19, you should be focusing on your education. Perhaps spend a year abroad at PUCMM or one of the SD schools as part of a degree program back home. That way, you'll 1) learn the language, 2) make real contacts that could come in handy down the road, 3) and do so while moving towards an educational level that will make you FAR more competitive.

Otherwise, think of the DR in terms of a great vacation spot for now.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Nataliez

Aug 29, 2010
i know im only 19
but i feel like everything here just isnt for me. I fell in love with everything and everyone there. not just on the resort, but off too. I met so many people and explored so much of it there and i just want to go as fast as possible. I know i need an education but i think i would be fine with just living an average life down there. Even if i went down there for a year and lived and worked there i would love it. I spend most of my time off the resort anyways finding out information about everything.
Im really confused in canada and everything is so expensive i just dont know what to do anymore. I want to start a new life

Nataliez

Aug 29, 2010
and i want to add i know you guys probably all think im crazy but its just what my heart is set to do

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
and i want to add i know you guys probably all think im crazy but its just what my heart is set to do

Dont listen to your heart, especially not at 19!

How do you define an "average life down there" and do you have any idea of what your earning potential (or lack thereof) would be in relation to the cost of living.

You think Canada is expensive to live??? Do some comparables in the Punta Cana area, you may just be surprised!

All I hope is that you see the light to get yourself an education...then you can go on to have some other life experiences.

I know on vacation it is easy to perceive everything and everyone as wonderful but rose-coloured glasses arent the best way to view reality or the future.

May 29, 2006
Find a roommate and get a day job on a beach bar. Foreign girls make a lot more in tips than Dominican girls do and about the only drinks you need to know how to make will be rum and cokes and Caesars. Other than that, it's popping open bottles of beer and making small talk. If you can speak some French or German, that would be a big plus. Just be friendly and be ready to give advice on where to go.

IMHO you should be enjoying yourself now. When you go back to school, you'll know the value of a dollar more than the kids who haven't had a job or haven't even gone shopping for food for themselves. Travel looks good on a resume at your age. It shows self reliance, initiative and an ability to take on new challenges.

As for getting a degree right away, it's not helping a lot of people out there. Just saw a clip on TV about someone fresh out of Law School who had passed the bar exam working for $7.50/hour+ tips in a coffee shop. She may as well be working in a beach bar.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
i know im only 19
but i feel like everything here just isnt for me. I fell in love with everything and everyone there. not just on the resort, but off too. I met so many people and explored so much of it there and i just want to go as fast as possible. I know i need an education but i think i would be fine with just living an average life down there. Even if i went down there for a year and lived and worked there i would love it. I spend most of my time off the resort anyways finding out information about everything.
Im really confused in canada and everything is so expensive i just dont know what to do anymore. I want to start a new life

You haven't experienced the Dominican Republic yet if you have been based on resort livng and venturing out. Coming here as fast as possible would be great if you could prepare yourself faster than that, but you can't, you need to be prepared and need to fit into a job that can support you.
Coming with nothing, all you will do is dry up mum and dads retirement fund, have a bit of an extended vacation and then go back having learned sod all about real living here or anywhere else. You can't come now and have an average life here, that takes a good job.
Things are expensive in Canada? Do you think it is cheap here? Salasry doesn't stand up to cost of living by any stretch of the imagination.

You seem like you are in a panic, this wanting to start a new life and not knowing what to do anymore is not a good mental foundation to start anything here. Finacially, take the amount you figure you will need to support yourself, then quadripple it, you have a figure you want to have before trying this, seriously.
Most people moving here have lived a little, the majority have lived alot, are here on retirement or are here living on elsewhere invested ventures. People don't last long unless you have a bit of dosh to lose, throw away or make some lucky investments (the few that do).
It isn't a place to run away to, also bare in mind you will be one of the few. I am a young foreigner here and I've got 20 years on you. I'm not sure you will find a place to fit in as a foreign youngster.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
IMHO you should be enjoying yourself now. When you go back to school, you'll know the value of a dollar more than the kids who haven't had a job or haven't even gone shopping for food for themselves. Travel looks good on a resume at your age. It shows self reliance, initiative and an ability to take on new challenges.

Sorry, vehemently disagree with your advice...but to add, many kids I know here who are in university hold down casual/part-time jobs. They possess the traits you mention above, in addition to getting an education. Honestly, one can barely get an entry level job these days with an undergrad...and you are telling here travel will look good on her resume??? Good for what I ask. Maybe if it features down the list after her academic accomplishments??

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Nataliez, you could enroll in College in Canada and find out if they have exchange program with the DR.
It would be a great way to learn the language, be in the DR and meet people your age.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sorry, vehemently disagree with your advice...but to add, many kids I know here who are in university hold down casual/part-time jobs. They possess the traits you mention above, in addition to getting an education. Honestly, one can barely get an entry level job these days with an undergrad...and you are telling here travel will look good on her resume??? Good for what I ask. Maybe if it features down the list after her academic accomplishments??

Travel would look good on here resume if she did it by entering some exchange program, lots of young people from the States do it for various reasons but it gives you the chance to live in a foreign country with some fellow country people of your own age, you learn a lot of the country and the locals and you do it together pretty much.
Thats a much better way to have on your resume : traveled and worked in a foreign country through x organisation for x year(s)/months.

Reactions: Africaida

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Travel would look good on here resume if she did it by entering some exchange program, lots of young people from the States do it for various reasons but it gives you the chance to live in a foreign country with some fellow country people of your own age, you learn a lot of the country and the locals and you do it together pretty much.
Thats a much better way to have on your resume : traveled and worked in a foreign country through x organisation for x year(s)/months.

I guess that would depend on her goals and aspirations for her future.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you can start another thread in the living or general section - the employment section is for job offers or seeking employment with stated skills

Status
Not open for further replies.