Safety Concern at DR:)

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Hi, everyone!

Well, let me try and make this as simple as I can. I will be traveling to DR (Santiago/Tenares area) in July and have been thinking about safety. It will be a group of us which includes kids and this is why I am a little more concerned. We will be doing everything from going clubbing to going to the beach, rivers, monumento, ect...will try to do as much as we can. Now, my concern is should I be weary about being held up (and please don't laugh) maybe even at gun point to get robbed? I know this might sound a little extreme but I would like to know how I should go about things when I'm there. For example, when we leave the club should we not venture out to eat at a fritura or restaurant that late at night? Should we be watching as we drive away to make sure nothing is out of place? Should we try as much as possible to stay in at night and not be out too much??? These are concerns that I have because I do read the news and sometimes you read stories about how some vacationers get kidnapped and are later found dead for whatever reason.

P.S I am an ex-pat and I have family there but at the same time I would like to hear from you guys as I know a lot of you have a lot of experience with this kind of thing.

Also, might be silly and dangerous but I was also thinking of maybe getting some protection to carrry with me while down there...if you know what I mean...what do you guys think? Stupid?

Please, give me as much info on this as you can. Thanks in advance!

Feb 7, 2007
Take precautions as you would take anywhere else in the world. DR is not THAT crime ridden as some people tend to pretend or some news reports, some news reports get exaggerated, etc.

Lots of people eat late at night, including me (I've got to stop that, but not for security reasons - mine is the belly reason). Chimis, Freituras, Picapollos, Expresos Chinos (Btw did you notice almost all PicaPollos are called EXPRESO xx#put any Chino name#xx)... just exercise your common sense. Don't look like a tourist, look like a local. The idea is - look like you know what you're doing. Don't flash money, expensive jewelry, etc.

If you will be moving in a group, you will have much less likelihood of having anything out-of-ordinary happening to you.

If you want to play it safe, have a taxi ready when you walk out. I mean, you won't get attacked at Chimi stand, but have the taxi ready to take off after you buy the chimi. Don't walk the dark streets.

And you may want to buy a pepper spray here (I have seen it in many pharmacies, and at Americana Departamentos), it's about 10 dollars (350 pesos). It gives you some sense of security.

Do not carry lots of cash on you, and carry only copy of the ID. Keep originals safe home/in the hotel. That's what I do. As far as cash, I usually calculate how much I will spend at night, and usually do not carry more than that + 500 pesos. I carry one (hidden) ATM card for any kind of emergencies.

IF, and only IF, you get at any kind of "heated" situation, do not resist, if the gun is involved. Hand over the cash you have.

But again, if you go in group, the chances you will get into such "heated" situation are virtually none to zero.

May 12, 2005
You are worrying way too much. As long as you stay out of the areas you shouldn't go to and don't go looking for trouble, you will have no problems. I have been going to Santiago for 3 years now. I have driven all over the Cibao region by myself, at night and have never had a problem. I have been to many discos and have eaten many a late night chimi or fritura, again no troubles. I am 100% gringo and look it. As far as bringing a little something for protection, I assume you mean a gun. Don't do it, dominican jails are no picnic. Just relax and enjoy your trip you will be fine.

Sep 19, 2005
they can only steal what you bring with you.....

but in any case, I seriously doubt you will have any issues......

especially if there are at least 2 adults.

only bring one cell phone with you as a group....dont bring the whole wallet, dont take more than 2000 pesos, I dont think you would need more than that per person.
take a cab right near the club, not 10 blocks down the street.

you cna stop and eat at almost any of those places...

I do it all the time.....I have been 28 times to santiago in 3 years , I hardly ever get stabbed or robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

it only happens in the high class upper class clubs anyway.....

bad bob

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, everyone!

Well, let me try and make this as simple as I can. I will be traveling to DR (Santiago/Tenares area) in July and have been thinking about safety. It will be a group of us which includes kids and this is why I am a little more concerned. We will be doing everything from going clubbing to going to the beach, rivers, monumento, ect...will try to do as much as we can. Now, my concern is should I be weary about being held up (and please don't laugh) maybe even at gun point to get robbed? I know this might sound a little extreme but I would like to know how I should go about things when I'm there. For example, when we leave the club should we not venture out to eat at a fritura or restaurant that late at night? Should we be watching as we drive away to make sure nothing is out of place? Should we try as much as possible to stay in at night and not be out too much??? These are concerns that I have because I do read the news and sometimes you read stories about how some vacationers get kidnapped and are later found dead for whatever reason.

P.S I am an ex-pat and I have family there but at the same time I would like to hear from you guys as I know a lot of you have a lot of experience with this kind of thing.

Also, might be silly and dangerous but I was also thinking of maybe getting some protection to carrry with me while down there...if you know what I mean...what do you guys think? Stupid?

Please, give me as much info on this as you can. Thanks in advance!

You should go about things in the Dr the same way you go about in a cities like New York, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, London, Berlin, Madrid and Rome.

American always overreact and overexaggerate when it come to another country, you should be aware of city like New Orleans, Camder, NJ and cinccinatti not the DR.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
not sure i would want to have a gun around kids. . . . you might leave it in the wrong place, unless you are trained to carry a gun and know how to keep it with you. . ..

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
carrying a weapon could jeopardize the whole group..heed the advice and above all limit your alcohol. in my travels more drunk tourists become victums of crime....

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Like Bob and Frank stated...YOU ARE WORRYING TOO MUCH.

Stay out of the ghetto neighborhoods and you will be fine. Travel in groups and always have a cell phone with you. Don't even think about a gun if you do not have a license to carry.

I have been traveling to the DR my whole life. I drive around all over the place at any hour during the day and have never had any issues. And it is not because I am Dominican. You just have to be "street smart."

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am American and have lived in Santiago for the last two years and we have not had any problems. I have traveled up until 12 am at night in Santiago and from Moca to Santiago and again have had no problem. That being said I don't go throught the "bad areas" at those hours, but then again, supposedly where my sister in law lives is a bad area, "El Ejido", and I have walked those streets at those hours with no problems. I can tell you that I was much more scared to walk the "bad areas" in cities I lived in in the US, that's for sure.

So don't worry and forget about carrying a gun - that will only get you in deep trouble.

Also, if you plan on going to clubs, check out the forum for the better ones in Santiago and remember to travel in as large a group as possible at late hours.

Sep 19, 2005
"safety concern AT DR "

isnt that like the posters who say

" I will be in the DOMINICAN in july how do I...........?????"

what happend to the grammar police?????

ha ha ha

most clubs check you for weapons when you go in, but they either dont check gringos or they give a really quick cursory check...they never find my knife .

of course I find it when I get home late at night and forget I had it...thus i get stabbed so much!! ha ha ha

bad bob