One Way Ticket

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I do not (nor do my children) have Dominican residency as of yet. We have our one way tickets to DR in August, but I hear that they do not let you in the country with one way tickets if you do not have residency....
Is this true? Am I expected to buy return tickets even though I am not returning anytime soon?
It sounds crazy......... why then would everyone say wait until you get there to start your residency?
Please Advise
SHALENA

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The DR government will not be a problem, they never check or ask. The problem is some of the airlines. If you are flying American they will make you buy a return ticket. Not that you really need it to enter the DR, but it is good for their business.

Other airlines are hit and miss. Most do not care. What airline are you on and from where?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The DR government will not be a problem, they never check or ask. The problem is some of the airlines. If you are flying American they will make you buy a return ticket. Not that you really need it to enter the DR, but it is good for their business.

Other airlines are hit and miss. Most do not care. What airline are you on and from where?

I will be on American Airlines from RDU to STI.
I will call and ask because they are being ridiculous!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
AA are very stubborn about this point, and I'll tell you why.
If a person is traveling on a one way ticket, and he is refused entry at his destination, then the airline is responsible for returning said passenger at their expense.
This is why they have that policy of not permitting folks to fly with them on one way tickets.
It is entirely possible that you could purchase an open date return ticket that is 100% refundable, thus circumventing the problem at no cost to you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
AA are very stubborn about this point, and I'll tell you why.
If a person is traveling on a one way ticket, and he is refused entry at his destination, then the airline is responsible for returning said passenger at their expense.
This is why they have that policy of not permitting folks to fly with them on one way tickets.
It is entirely possible that you could purchase an open date return ticket that is 100% refundable, thus circumventing the problem at no cost to you.

All due respect, have you ever in your many years in this country heard of anyone being refused entry for not having a return ticket? I know I have not.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All due respect, have you ever in your many years in this country heard of anyone being refused entry for not having a return ticket? I now I have not.
Absolutely not.
I was simply explaining the AA policy.
It is a worldwide policy and not specific to the DR.
If it were, then it would be totally ridiculous, as you accurately pointed out, nobody gets refused entry.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking of entry, I know someone who for a joke gave the customs officer his "Conch" Passport at entry. This is something they sell in Key West to tourists. It looks just like a real passport. Guess what? They stamped it and in he went.

This was before they ever scanned anything.

Johana

May 24, 2006
This also happens from Canada to DR.

This is West Jet's Policy....
Visitors who wish to book flights online to the Dominican Republic must purchase a return ticket from the gateway at which they plan to enter the country, due to regulatory restrictions.

Last October on a SkyService (CDN Charter) flight a passenger slapped a flight attendant. She almost wasn't let into the DR. My guess is the return flight that night was already fully booked otherwise she would have been refused entry and found herself heading back to Toronto with the police waiting for her at the gate. But if they had sent her back she had already prepaid that portion of the ticket so to Rocky's point the airline is not out any money.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

If you call and ask about this, for sure you will have to buy return tickets.

What I would do is go to the airport early and check in. Say nothing and see what happens. I know people that have whizzed through. If they make you buy return tickets just make sure that they are 100% refundable. Bring a CC with you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We bought one way tickets from Orl to Sti in '06 from AA and didn't have a problem - they were cheap too.

Check with Spirit too.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I recently few Jet Blue from NY to POP and online was unable to book a return ticket. So I called and they suggested I buy one way tickets in each direction, which I did.

When I checked in no one asked me if I had a return flight or not - which I happened to have - but the record locator didn't show that.

And if it were me, I wouldn't take a chance. I'd buy like suggested an open return (if they still have them) or at least a non refundable so that you can use it at a future date (usually one year before expiration).

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
The last time i flew here was in september 2007 on a one way through delta i believe, I called the embassy in ontario to verify that i didnt need a return and they said no. Nothing happened..everything went smooth.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is a problem from Canada. I personally know of at least 2 people who were made to purchase a return flight - at the gate - at higher cost - in order to board their flight. I also know of at least 1 from England.

Your return flight need not be a flight back to your point of origin. Buy a ticket to Miami or Puerto Rico and make sure it is either changeable or cancellable with refund.

Don't take the chance, more and more airlines are getting sticky on this.

kjacw

Nov 21, 2007
I bought 5 one way tickets to the DR from NY in July 2007 for my whole family and no one said anything to me but I might mentioned that prior to leaving for the DR I did purchase return tickets and I didn't say anything to the agents and the agent at AA desk didn't ask me anything with reference to any return ticket.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Does the return ticket have to be within the 30 day visitor timeline....my kids will be returning next summer to the US. Can I go ahead and purchase the tickets for then?
SHALENA

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does the return ticket have to be within the 30 day visitor timeline....my kids will be returning next summer to the US. Can I go ahead and purchase the tickets for then?
SHALENA

No it does not. I can assure that no one other than the AA clerk that sells this ticket to you will ever look at it or inquire about it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks....guess I'll be shelling out another $900+
SHALENA:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
about Westjet

I don't think I understand Westjet's policy. It states that a return ticket must be purchased at the gateway to the destination country? What does that mean. And, has anyone flown Westjet to here in the DR without a return ticket to Canada?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We bought one way tickets from Orl to Sti in '06 from AA and didn't have a problem - they were cheap too.

Check with Spirit too.
I flew Spirit one way when I moved here. No problema (but the luggage fees cost 3X what the ticket did...).