Scorned by D.R. before, I need a new hope

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
I've been to D.R. 2-3 times before (the fact that I can't remember how many times means that the trips were kinda uneventful). These trips were 100% family vacations. That was about 4-5 years ago. Since then, I've traveled to Colombia, Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Japan again. I've become somewhat of a world traveller.

I am looking for hints and tips on things I can do during this next trip to get a positive image of the D.R. I will be staying at my father's place, but unlike previously, this time I will have my own room (2 actually). Of course, I'll spend some time with the family. Other than that: I like girls, art, culture, hip-hop, mingling with locals, mingling with other foreigners (I'll be traveling the world for the next 2 years or so, and I like to meet other travellers), hanging at the beach, etc. I will be staying in Santo Domingo for 3-4 weeks.

I'm not really interested in prostitutes (though not completely opposed to them for one of my days). I can't really dance (but if the whole mood is right, I might get down to a Reggaeton song).

I'm in my early 20s... Language is not a problem... Money kind of is though. (I'm trying not to spend toooo much). Please share your ideas, tips, hints, etc.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Visit the Barahona area for it's unusual and diverse nature.
Visit La Samana for that super tropical feeling.
Visit the Sosua/Cabarete areas for the people and activities.

If any one particular place really suits you, stay longer.
If one disappoints you, then move onto the next.

PS: Scorned?

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Well, I'll look into those places, and depending on how far they are from La Capital, I could check them out.

Browsing through this site, I see La Sosua mentioned alot, so it might be interesting.

I just used the word "scorned", because I thought it'd get people to look at this thread. If I just said "D.R. trip plan", then it might be ignored for being too played out.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I'll look into those places, and depending on how far they are from La Capital, I could check them out.

Browsing through this site, I see La Sosua mentioned alot, so it might be interesting.

I just used the word "scorned", because I thought it'd get people to look at this thread. If I just said "D.R. trip plan", then it might be ignored for being too played out.
That's a bit deceitful.
I understand your desire for it to be viewed, but if you want assistance from the members, you would get better results by being precise, honest and forthcoming.

Jan 5, 2006
Stay in SD for a week and take in the city. The best variety of night life, restaurants and cultural activities in the country.

Go to Santiago for a week and enjoy city life and a small town atmosphere all in one. Great people, beautiful women, and some cultural activities, though not as many as SD. Go to Jarabacoa for a day or two and enjoy the beautiful nature, rivers, and pleasant cool temperatures. Lots of beautiful and friendly women too!

Go to Cabarete for a week and enjoy the beach. Very good night life with a great mix of locals and travelers from around the world. Sosua and Puerto Plata are a short car ride away, so you have some more options during your stay.

Finally, I suggest a week in the south. It's not as tourist friendly, but you'll get to explore some of the most beautiful and unspoiled places in the entire country. Start in SD and make Bani your first stop. Go to the sand dunes, get your fill on some of the best mangoes in the world, and see some of the prettiest women in the country in this quaint little town. Next stop is Barahona, but a little rest stop in Azua for some great chivo is recommended. Stay in Barahona for a few days and enjoy the pebble beaches (San Rafael, El Quemaito - not much sand) and the river next to it. Take a trip to Bahia de la Aguilas for the most spectacular beach on the entire island. Keep heading west and go to Lago Enriquillo and see the iguanas, and if you have time and want to see the salt water crocs that live in the lake, take the boat ride to Isla Cabritos. Go to Parque Nacional Sierra de Bahoruco and take in the beautiful nature, see the larimar mines and experience the unique feeling of being around sacred native indian grounds.

There's more to see and experience, but I think that this gives you a good start. :)

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Sorry about that Rock. I just chose the wrong word when I was trying to come up with a fancier word for "unimpressed", and then I didn't think to edit myself. Wasn't trying to be decietful.

Mejia, thanks for the tips. I will surely look into it, but I don't have alot of money, and you did mention alot of things. I'll check it out.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry about that Rock. I just chose the wrong word when I was trying to come up with a fancier word for "unimpressed", and then I didn't think to edit myself. Wasn't trying to be decietful.

Mejia, thanks for the tips. I will surely look into it, but I don't have alot of money, and you did mention alot of things. I'll check it out.
Hipocrito's suggestions are awesome and would be inexpensive by public transport.
You are, after all asking for suggestions of things to do, and that always involves some money.

Jan 5, 2006
Do you have family anywhere on the island, other than SD? That might provide other locations from where to start day trips, which would help to stretch your money. In reality, you can find fun and affordable things to do just about anywhere; you just have to know where to go. Using public transport to get around provides a unique experience in itself.

For example, if you have family anywhere on the eastern part of the island, you can check out San Pedro de Macoris, La Romana, Bayahibe and Higuey; all using public transportation. You'll find enough activities to keep you busy for a few days. Tell us if you have this option, and we can give you more ideas. :)