Quick Questions from Curious Traveler

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
I will be coming into Santo Domingo for about a month starting on Jul. 9th. I will be staying with my father in La Zona Colonial (his home). I hope to be having a fun and adventurous time with locals and tourists alike. Quick questions would be:

1.) Is it better to exchange money in the US before I get over there (I know in other countries airport exchange rates tend to screw you over?)

2.) I had read on this forum that some places had run out of coin change and they wer giving mints as change, as that still going on? In the capital?

3.) How many of you take buses and coches even though your Spanish may only be intermediate at best? How often are you the only foreigner there? Any problems or little anecdotes you'd like to share?

A

apostropheman

1. Wait and exchange USD where you Father suggests. He must know of a good place hear him.

2. I wouldn't worry much about the change situation. It seems to be resolving itself and I have not heard of issues except on the North Coast.

3. I almost always take buses, qua quas etc...and my Spanish is quite limited. If you speak intermediate Spanish you'll be just fine, especially if you have an idea of where you are going :D

I'm almost always the only gringo around while on the bus or whatever. It's not an issue.
I will be coming into Santo Domingo for about a month starting on Jul. 9th. I will be staying with my father in La Zona Colonial (his home). I hope to be having a fun and adventurous time with locals and tourists alike. Quick questions would be:

1.) Is it better to exchange money in the US before I get over there (I know in other countries airport exchange rates tend to screw you over?)

2.) I had read on this forum that some places had run out of coin change and they wer giving mints as change, as that still going on? In the capital?

3.) How many of you take buses and coches even though your Spanish may only be intermediate at best? How often are you the only foreigner there? Any problems or little anecdotes you'd like to share?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's always good to try to find out the rate ahead of time, to where you are going, from someone in the streets or the local colmado, etc.
If you know the proper rate and they try to charge you more, you just smile and laugh it off and hand over the correct amount.

A

apostropheman

Excellent point!

I often travel with locals that know the route and the costs. It saves a lot of potential issues at least until you know your way around and the actual fares.

This has been especially true for me with taxis. They cannot really argue with you if you know the rate and use humour to smooth away any ruffled feathers caused by their attempt at over charging you.

Lambada has posted many good examples of how to deescalate this type of situation.

Don't show any anger, smile and be firm. Hand them the proper fare and walk away.
It's always good to try to find out the rate ahead of time, to where you are going, from someone in the streets or the local colmado, etc.
If you know the proper rate and they try to charge you more, you just smile and laugh it off and hand over the correct amount.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
use humour to smooth away any ruffled feathers caused by their attempt at over charging you.

Lambada has posted many good examples of how to deescalate this type of situation.

Don't show any anger, smile and be firm. Hand them the proper fare and walk away.
Lambada understands the culture, therefore can easily adopt the correct attitude, even in an unknown situation.
Most "newbies" would feel that they are being scammed and get angry, when in reality, what is happening is that the person "overcharging" is simply subscribing to the fundamental principles of business/capitalism, to sell a product at the price that the market will bear.
As a tourist or newbie has more cash than the average Dominican taking public transport, he is perceived as being capable and willing to pay more, so they charge more.
It's as simple as that, and one should not get offended.
Lambada has a book out that explains it in better detail, along with a zillion other DR related issues.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
All of your info. is really good guys. I just haven't been to the country in a while, and never really travelled on my own in the country, so I just wanted to be secure on some issues.

I remember one time I took a cab ride alongside my brother and cousin, and the backseat floor had a hole in it, where you could see to the ground, but hey, when you gotta get somewhere, you gotta go.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i always convert a a couple of hunderd usd before i go. NOt that much...but its nice to have a couple of thousand pesos when you arrive for what-ever and until you can find the best cambio.

re: taxis...just know the going rate and agree before getting in. And always know the rate for the guagua. I've done the publicos...and never again...5 pesos is a bargain but not for my long legs.

I am half latino..and my spanish is just so-so...but i have never had a problem using motos or guaguas etc. you just have to know your destination and the fare...otherwise you will be fine.

ENJOY!!!

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Thanks for the info. everyone. I asked about the money exchange, because I know that when I went to Japan, exchanging the money in NY's Citibank, got me a much better rate than I would've received exchanging it in Japan. So I wanted to know if it's the same in D.R.

My Spanish is better than average, but it's just that I guess I have some sort of mental anxiety/paranoia, seeing as I was never allowed to go "anywhere" on my own during my previous trips to the D.R. I guess I just have to go somewhere, or on a date or something, anywhere really, just to take that first step towards feeling more comfortable in the D.R.

Well, I'll have a little bit more than 3 weeks over there, so I'll have time to leave the D.R. with a good impression this time.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the info. everyone. I asked about the money exchange, because I know that when I went to Japan, exchanging the money in NY's Citibank, got me a much better rate than I would've received exchanging it in Japan. So I wanted to know if it's the same in D.R.
You will get a terrible rate in your home country.
If you need pesos immediately when you arrive, go to the ATM at the airport.
The rate will be excellent.
Anyone who buys pesos before coming here, loses his shirt in the exchange.
Anybody who tells you differently, don't listen to them.

A

apostropheman

Agreed and the taxis will gladly take USD...they probably prefer it.

The ATM is a great solution and there is also a cambio, as mentioned in a previous post/thread, that you can exchange USD at and get a decent rate. No way you'll get 33+ pesos to the USD from a bank or exchange house outside of the DR. (In my experience and research anyway)

Worst case scenario is to pay the taxi fare in USD and exchange once you arrive at your destination as directed by your relatives/friends.

Why waste even a little $$$ converting at a terrible rate in advance when there is no need?
You will get a terrible rate in your home country.
If you need pesos immediately when you arrive, go to the ATM at the airport.
The rate will be excellent.
Anyone who buys pesos before coming here, loses his shirt in the exchange.
Anybody who tells you differently, don't listen to them.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
I had no idea about the exchange issue. Thank You very much guys. I will have to look into waiting till I get over to D.R. to change the cash.