Congratulations, Colombia

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The Dominican government sends a formal congratulation to the Colombian people, ..

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The Presidency has sent the government of Colombia a message of congratulations on the Colombian army`s successful rescue of Ingrid Betancourt and 14 other hostages being held by the FARC. Betancourt had been in captivity for over six years. The note reads: "We send our congratulations to the government of President Alvaro Uribe for his persistent effort to restore citizen Betancourt`s freedom, an effort in which other governments around the world also collaborated. The Dominican government celebrates the fact that Betancourt, three US citizens and 11 Colombians were freed, and advocated that others who are still in captivity be freed so that Colombia may continue on the road to peace."

Here's a comprehensive article on the audacious operation codenamed ..

[/FONT]
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->
Operation 'Checkmate'<object style="display: block;" height="350" width="425">

<embed wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oc4d3uZ5CRU" height="350" width="425"></object>Footage of Operation "Jaque"

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A modern day miracle-

I am glad the DR government joined the ranks of other Latin American countries who offered their congratulations for a well executed rescue effort. This symbolizes a step forward in the peace effort that Colombia needs to reach in order to truly continue to move the country forward. IMO, Colombia's only drawback is la guerrilla. Colombia is the jewel of South America. A country with natural richness, a good standard of living for many although there's a big gap between the classes, and above average education (way ahead of the DR). The potential is there just suppressed by la guerilla for more than forty years. Ingrid Betancourt is a symbol of hope and peace for the country as well as for all of Latin America. I have been following the story ever since the rescue of the hostages on July 2, 2008.

As well, on Colombia's independence day July 20, 2008 there is supposed to be a peace march in which Ingrid Betancourt is supposed to participate to show her solidarity towards Colombia and efforts to continue to fight for the remaining hostages and la paz. She is truly a remarkable figure and will be in Colombian history. Hopefully, she will write another book detailing her six years in captivity. The voice of a hostage is the only one that can truly tell the story.

Que viva Colombia.

-LDG.

Colombiana

Jun 27, 2008
I can only hope this just the beginning of many good things to come. My beloved country has suffered much too long and so many people have been displaced from their homes with little help from our government.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It was a magnificent plan carried out perfectly, I too am happy for the hostages.

What is tragic is to watch the conference that took place between the rebels and Betancourt the same day of her kidnapping. She went there in good faith and talked impassionately that for the situation between the rebels and the gov't to get better that the rebels should immediatley stop kidnapping people and in fact release all of their hostages. Little did she know that only in a few short hours she would have her freedom taken from her for no apparent gain.

How tragic is it that the rebels took advantage of her good will attempt to create a dialogue to bring peace to Colombia. Maybe they will never learn. I'm so happy Leonel showed his support for the released hostages.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
one of those rescued was on the tele today and said that his captors were not revolutionaries they were terrorists.